Sin City
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

Anyone else excited? I never read Frank Miller's graphic novels but I love the fact that this movie is striving to fresh and original - a quality sorely lacking in the movie industry lately. The pre-release buzz I have been reading has also been good, which is an encouraging sign.

Only one month away now!
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 1 2005, 12:38 AM Wrote:http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

Anyone else excited? I never read Frank Miller's graphic novels but I love the fact that this movie is striving to fresh and original - a quality sorely lacking in the movie industry lately. The pre-release buzz I have been reading has also been good, which is an encouraging sign.

Only one month away now!
[right][snapback]69385[/snapback][/right]

I am waiting with bated breath. The trailer is fantastic, and got me to run out and get the graphic novels.

It's got a smashing cast, and I suspect the writing will be good, and Rodriguez is good with this sort of material. The only thing that worries me is how they tie all three story lines together. I think I'd rather see one of the stories fully explored. We'll see how it goes. My rear is in the movie seat for sure in any case.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Starring Jessica Alba?

Starring Benicio Del Toro?

Directed by Robert Rodriguez?

Bruce Willis holding a huge gun?

Calculating chances of movie to suck... Processing... ... ... 0.01%

They had me at 'Jessica Al...'

:D

Cheers!
-D
Mithrandir,Feb 28 2005, 11:38 PM Wrote:http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

Only one month away now!

Hmmmm, thanks for the link. This film looks like a cross between Blade Runner, Men in Black, and Dirty Harry. I liked the sound track cuts with the character snippets. Sadly, I am almost sure Mrs Occhi won't be interested in this one, so it may be a "stag" date. Worth a look.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Just got back from seeing it.

The good news is, it's very faithful to the novels. The bad news is, it's very faithful to the novels.

Nick Stahl nailed the part of the Yellow Bastard, ditto with Rourke as Marv. The casting was quite dead on imo.

Again just my opinion, but there's some parts that I think worked great in the book, but on film ran a bit long, or too close to being hokey. Not a lot, but a noticeable few moments. Mostly some dialogue.

But overall, I enjoyed it. Elijah 'Frodo' Wood need not worry about being typecasted as a hobbit after this role.
I've been a fan of Frank Miller since the mid eigthies. I was thrilled to see he directed the movie.

I disagree with casting Bruce Willis in that role (at the very least they should have forced him to wear more prosthetic makeup). However, all the other cast members shine. Mickey O'Rourke is just brilliant, mostly because he doesn't look like himself. Jessica Alba is the only one with a "nudity clause" in her contract (booo, hisss). I may have to quit my job and start stalking Carla Gugino full time. ;)

Some of the dialogue that was so effective in the book, came out as a little over the top in the movie (as Hammerskjold said). Somehow the theme of "tough guy vengeance" also got a bit repetitive in the movie, despite being very effective in the book. The atmosphere that Miller created by being such a visiual minimalist in the book, gets adversely effected by the all detail that is seen in the movie (this obviously cannot be helped).

I quite enjoyed it.
Signature? What do you mean?
Mithrandir,Feb 28 2005, 11:38 PM Wrote:http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

Anyone else excited?  I never read Frank Miller's graphic novels but I love the fact that this movie is striving to fresh and original - a quality sorely lacking in the movie industry lately. The pre-release buzz I have been reading has also been good, which is an encouraging sign.

Only one month away now!

Sin City had 11 showings at the local theater today in Corpus Christi. I went to a 7:10 PM show. There were maybe 15 people in the theater. I am glad I saw it in the theater, as I don't think I'd get the same 'feel' at home.

A few of those heavenly bodies were well presented in black and white. The bursts of color feathered into the black and white format were a neat touch.

I liked Sin City for the same reason I like QT's films, for all their wallowing in gore. The violence is a caricature of violence, the way this film worked out. I am sure the various councils decrying violent films will find this one repulsive. Elijah Wood sure ditched Frodo in this role! (Mucho sicko, oh yes, twisted indeed, Precious.)

I never read Miller's books, but the way the scenes were built and presented reminded me of the comic book format. I am guessing that was deliberate. Well done, edgy, and a bit over the top in places. The dark humor more than made up for it.

That cast was loaded with talent.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
It was noted by my theatre companions that I bear a striking resemblance to Marv. In looks and in action. Sheesh, he takes a beating.

I was informed though that it is in my companions opinion, that Marv is a hell of a lot prettier than I am.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 6 2005, 08:49 AM Wrote:It was noted by my theatre companions that I bear a striking resemblance to Marv. In looks and in action. Sheesh, he takes a beating.

I was informed though that it is in my companions opinion, that Marv is a hell of a lot prettier than I am.
[right][snapback]73157[/snapback][/right]

Given the awful makeover Mickey Rourke underwent with a plastic surgeon a few years back (I cannot understand why he did that, most actors age pretty gracefully) he is better off in roles where his face is massively remoulded via the magic of the makeup crew. They did something interesting with the soundtrack/voice dubbing for Marv's voice. It fit the character better than his "normal" voice.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
BOOBIES! AND GUNS!

I thought Sin City was a pretty good film.

The general film-going populace will probably HATE Sin City, but I really liked it. Screw the general film-going populace. Sin City was a good movie.
Indeed. Sin City has to be (atleast to me) one of the better films in the last few years.
I enjoyed this one immensly. I haven't read the comics but I am sure to do so now.
The type of mood reminded me a great deal of Max Payne.
I love Marvs explanation for going after the girls killer, "She was nice to me." That says so much about his person.. :)
Lovely. And yes, Mr. Wood certainly had an interesting role. Creepy and icky but yeah, way cool :)
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
Alrin,Apr 8 2005, 09:36 AM Wrote:Indeed. Sin City has to be (atleast to me) one of the better films in the last few years.
I enjoyed this one immensly. I haven't read the comics but I am sure to do so now.
The type of mood reminded me a great deal of Max Payne.
I love Marvs explanation for going after the girls killer, "She was nice to me." That says so much about his person.. :)
Lovely. And yes, Mr. Wood certainly had an interesting role. Creepy and icky but yeah, way cool :)
[right][snapback]73382[/snapback][/right]

When he next says "Guess who we are having over for dinner" is there any way you'd want to join the dinner party? :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
My favourite part of Sin City is when Marv is dragging the guy facedown beside his car.

"I don't know about you but I'm having a ball."
I attempted to toss myself into the Sin City mix. I'm aware that I don't have the visuals correct.

[Image: miller0mq.jpg]
Just got back from seeing this finally with some buddies and I must say that I really, really enjoyed it. I just loved the look and visuals of the movie - absolutely stunning and just kept me enthralled the whole way through. I didn't have any problem with the pacing in any part and I thought the tie-ins between the various stories were well-done and subtle enough to not clock you over the head. It was a true testament that there just might be a few creative souls left in Hollywood... I can't wait for this one to come out on DVD!

All I have to ask though, is what is Frank Miller's problem with the male groin region? Sweet Jeebus, my pals and I walked out of the theater checking to make sure everything was still intact after the beating what seemed like 90% of the males in the movie endured. It was bordering on uncomfortable to watch, though I suppose that was likely the intent.

Also, Bruce Willis certainly looked like a haggard individual, but not like he was 60. Which was kinda odd.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London