Music that gets you
I'm currently (at the time of posting) listening to Alice in Chain's 'Rooster'. No matter how many times I listen to and/or watch the clip, it really gets me, deep down inside. Without necesserely being my most favorite song of all time, it's the only one that has such a powerful effect on me.

For starters, I'm a music addict. Whenever I'm not listening to it, I still hear it in my head. The path the general music industry has taken the last deceny or so really disapoints me. Seems like there is no desire left whatsoever to create something original anymore. It's all for the money/fame. Everything resembles the last thing that you heard.

Ok, so you can still find some pretty good underground scenes that produce fairly good stuff, but I'm usually finding myselft listening to 10 years old CD's because simply nothing compares to it.

You may tell me "You're 23, you were young when that music was popular, that's why you cherish it so much", but that's not a valid statement. Back in the early 90's, I hardly listened to music, and if I did, it was more out of wanting to be popular and knowing about what band was 'in' and such...

It was not really until the last half of the 90's that I really got into music, and stopped caring about popularity and such superficial things. I was really diggin' old stuff from Aerosmith and such, and started to get interested in Ska before the late 90's commercial Ska wave.

After that, I discovered, through my growing taste for Drum an' Bass, Atari Teenage Riot, comprised of excellent underground independant revolutionnary minds, among which, Alec Empire, whose many manifesto-style writtings have further advanced me on the path of free-thinking.

The last few years, I have really gotten into Metal. Music in general, mostly metal and techno, is being categorized and labeled a lot in accordance to style. I for one am not the biggest fan of this. But for reference, I'm still gonna call what I listen to 'Black Metal', 'Technical Death Metal' and 'Symphonic/Medieval Metal'. After having listened to a lot of that, I find it to be very similar, structure-wise to Classical/Symphonic music, very complex arrangements, and the musicians are masters of their instrument like in not many other music styles.

Metal is pretty much the only genre out of which I still find recent productions to be worthy of being heard. 'Alternative' music can, once in a while, spit out something decent, Jazz/Blues is not something you hear from a lot, unfortunatly, and rap music..... it's true form died in the early 90's, what you hear today is only a deformed and grotesquely mutated ghost of a music that once meant something.

Basically, I'm just nostalgic of old music. Even if it was on the commercial scene, seems like there still was something to it, unlike today. I sort of whish I had been more into this musich back then. I'm speaking of bands such as Metallica, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and many others, too many to list.

Another rant of mine is that I find a lot of people to be very hypocritical about music. When I was in high scool, the rap scene was almost non-existant. There were two kids in my grade that litenened to it and dressed accordingly. Most others were spitting on rap music. I see those persons today, and they're all outfited like your common hip-hop cookie-cutter kid and blast it at 130dB's in their modified car stereo.

I don't think it is possible for ALL of them to have changed tastes so radically. They are just following the trend, in a most blind way. And a lot of them also deny ever having listenened to X or Y music style back then, as if they had always liked rap/hip-hop and nothing else.

I for one still like 99% of the music I have ever listened to. Even if a certain Collective Soul or REM tape cassette is gathering dust on a shelf, I still enjoy it from time to time, or am pleased to catch it on the airwaves.

Music is an art. I feel it has been (ab)used to wrong ends. I am wondering if if will ever recover.

Enough ramblings.... Sorry for the very, very long post :blush:

Please do tell me what you think about this, I want a confirmation that I'm not crazy!

-D
I listen to underground metal and its many subgenres (Power, Death, Melodic, Speed, Trash, Symphonic, Gothic, Epic, etc.) 24/7. Now, when I say underground metal I'm referring to what some of us call "True Metal" (that is, no garbage like Slipknot, Korn, Limpz Bizkit, Linkin Park, late Metallica, etc.). The level of musicianship and technicallity that some of the heavy hitters in these subgenres of metal can achieve is simply amazing. To me, metal is the classical music of the 21st Century.

The two main things I like about metal are 1) the band members write, compose and play their own music. The music feels true and pure, like the form of art it's supposed to be (contrast this with a "rapper" tallking to a microphone while a computer-generated drum-loop does endless iterations in the background, and some female voices ocasionally jump in to say "woooo, ahhhh"). And 2), the music is full of substance: (oftentimes) meaningful lyrics, concept albums that tell a story, metal operas, use of orchestration, classical influences (from classical music, obviously), etc.

I really don't have anything against other genres of music, though. It's just that I don't understand how people can find commercial music interesting (and I bet they wouldn't understand how I can find a 12 minute epic metal song with orchestral influences interesting!). I do feel offended when someone mistakes my true metal with the commercial nu-metal that is played on the radiowaves, though.

So, in conclusion, metal is the music that gets to me. I can safely say that I am a warrior of metal, with a heart of steel (as Manowar would say).
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

- Manowar
No time to post right now, but wanted to offer a related post: Occhi's post
So.. What would a band like Billy Talent be? Metal? I dunno, but what I do know is tat the band composes, writes, and sings all of its own music. Plus the fact that I'm hooked on them. :w00t:
I have my own signature. Yay.
Scrolling through my current playlist: I see a good amount of Pearl Jam, lots of Soundgarden, lots and lots of Rage Against the Machine (whenever 'People of the Sun' starts up, I still start stomping the floor and vibing with it, even after hearing it a million times), some 2Pac ('Changes' and 'Until the End of Time' really struck a chord with me), Coolio's 'Gangsta's Paradise' jumps out because it's such a fantastic song, a smattering of classical music I love (I like to hum Mozart's 'Requiem, Dies Irae' and 'Magic Flute' and Pachlelbel's 'Canon in D' to myself :) very powerful music), all of Oasis's "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" (their peak, although "Definitely Maybe" had some decent stuff as well), some of Bush from "Razorblade Suitcase" and "Sixteen Stone", the Jay-Z/Linkin Park remix stuff (it's not the greatest, but it's my guilty pleasure and I like the flow), some Zeppelin, and topped off with all of CCR's "Chronicles" vol. 1 and 2.

I miss some stuff here and there, but that's the gist of it.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Ashkael,Feb 28 2005, 11:30 PM Wrote:and I bet they wouldn't understand how I can find a 12 minute epic metal song with orchestral influences interesting![right][snapback]69375[/snapback][/right]

How about a 24 minute metal epic with classical influenced interludes and a full blown orchestra support (thinking of "The Odyssey" by Symphony X) :) ?
Mithrandir,Mar 1 2005, 01:24 AM Wrote:... Jay-Z/Linkin Park remix stuff ...
[right][snapback]69383[/snapback][/right]
The only song on that CD that I really liked a lot was the Encore remix. I did like the CD, but it could have been better. Maybe the problem lies in trying to combine pre-existing songs, I don't know.

My favorite Linkin Park remix is Forgotten on Reanimation.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
A couple songs that stand out in my mind are the D1 Tristram music, and Hotel California... I wish I had more music like that. Music that changes gracefully, not repetitive but has amazing flow.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
You're not crazy.

Well, not psychotic anyway. I think you may have a mild neurosis known as "Pitchforkitis", in which all music sounds good as long as it isn't too popular at the time. Some symptoms of this are that you apparently liked ska until other people started liking it, think rap music was actually better 10 years ago than it is now, like Alice in Chains but don't like nu-metal, and know the various obscure classifications of music nobody listens to. This sounds like a pretty bad case. But it is pretty common for someone your age. It may be a passing phase. But unfortunately, if it does pass, you will have transformed into an uncool geezer who listens to the Oldies' station to hear the music from back when music was music. And if it does not pass, you will end up being the hipster with a thousand obscure CDs nobody else can stand to listen to.

Unless you were ever big into the underground rap scene (in which case you will surely have heard better than what I am about to suggest), I'd seriously consider giving Eminem a listen. I like Aerosmith and Alice in Chains, but nobody in those groups can hold a candle to Eminem in terms of talent (especially compositional talent). Of course, you can't listen to the clean versions or there won't be any lyrics left to hear :rolleyes:

Alternatively, skip straight to the geezer stage and start listening to Pink Floyd, Led Zep, and Clapton.

Or just keep on enjoying that black metal and risk turning into the hipster with the music collection everyone hates. But don't say I didn't warn you! ;)
Daemon,Feb 28 2005, 08:28 PM Wrote:Jazz/Blues is not something you hear from a lot, unfortunatly[right][snapback]69362[/snapback][/right]

The Blues are not dead, and the best of the Blues players are still putting out great stuff. For example, may I introduce you to Taj Mahal ?

And, since I 'came of age' in the heyday of Rock'n'Roll and have gravitated to the Blues over time, I often pull out Paint It Blue, This Ain't No Tribute. Junior Wells is the only man with the chutzpah to pull off a cover of 'Satisfaction' that rivals Mick Jagger's version; and Taj Mahal's 'Honky Tonk Women' takes the song back to the sleaze and pain it encapsulates.

If you want great production in your music, and like to hear a mixture of artists playing together, I suggest you check out The Chieftains. Paddy Maloney is much admired by musicians, who seem to be all lining up to get a chance to play with him. The list is long of those who have done so, and I must own 20 or more of their cd's, just because they put out something quite different each time.

Lastly, on the subject of 'those who put out something different each time' I would also recommend Ry Cooder. He is another whose works I can listen to over and over, because he has never let himself get stuck in a rut for music style.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Ashkael,Feb 28 2005, 09:30 PM Wrote:To me, metal is the classical music of the 21st Century.
[right][snapback]69375[/snapback][/right]

To me, metal has become ambient noise.

What is nice is that there are so many different musical forms available, and we can each find one (or a bunch) to resonate within us.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
At heart I'm old school metal (Judas priest , Motley Crue , Ratt , Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Scorpions , AC DC , Metallica) , I have tons of the newer bands (Godsmack , Rob Zombie , Static X , Dogfight , Korn) , but I still love all the mellower 80's bands (Police , Cars, Duran Duran, Asia , Journey) .... hey ! I have about 700 or so CDs to choose from so I cover a broad range :blush:

The music that truly gets to me though ? Irish music , the Star Spangled Banner , and the end theme song of Last of the Mohicans ! :D
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:You're not crazy. 

Fheww....

Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:Some symptoms of this are that you apparently liked ska until other people started liking it

I didnt stop liking it when it became more popular, I still listened to my favorites, but didnt catch on to the less original commercial wave.

Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:like Alice in Chains but don't like nu-metal

I like some of it, early Korn and few others... But Seattle grunge-era music is far superior to it imho.

Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:Unless you were ever big into the underground rap scene

I never really was, I just liked the social and political messages from the 80's rap.

Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:I'd seriously consider giving Eminem a listen. 

I don't like his music, yet I can see why he stands out from others.

Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:Alternatively, skip straight to the geezer stage and start listening to Pink Floyd, Led Zep, and Clapton.

Whish my father had kept them old Vinyls... :)

Nystul,Mar 1 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:Or just keep on enjoying that black metal and risk turning into the hipster with the music collection everyone hates. 

I will, and a lot of people, my girlfriend first, already hate my music, but I don't care! :D

What I meant to say is that if feels like we could take 'time', input it into a diminishing return formula, the output of which being the general originality of the 'commercial' musical scene. Commercially-viable music is rapidly growing less creative, just seems like a repetition of what's been done, a 'winning formula' that will ensure it's producer success.

Ok, so my 15 minutes break just turned into a 25 one, so back to work for me! :D

Cheers!
-D
Occhidiangela,Mar 1 2005, 01:08 PM Wrote:To me, metal has become ambient noise.
I believe my roomates share that same line of thought! :lol:

Occhidiangela,Mar 1 2005, 01:08 PM Wrote:What is nice is that there are so many different musical forms available, and we can each find one (or a bunch) to resonate within us.
Occhi
So true, as long as we respect each other's tastes.

- Manowar
TriggerHappy,Mar 1 2005, 07:21 AM Wrote:How about a 24 minute metal epic with classical influenced interludes and a full blown orchestra support (thinking of "The Odyssey" by Symphony X)  :) ?
[right][snapback]69389[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking more in the vein of Nightwish's 'Ghost Love Score' or Virgin Steele's 'Veni, Vidi, Vici', each 12 minute masterpieces. But if we are going for kilometric songs, what about Rhapsody's 'Gargoyles, Angels Of Darkness' or Manowar's 'Achiles, Agony, And Ecstasy (In Eight Parts)'. :rolleyes:

- Manowar
Whatever floats your boat pal! :D

Just to clarify, I did not say that only metal bands are the ones that craft their own music.

- Manowar
Ashkael,Mar 1 2005, 07:06 PM Wrote:Rhapsody's 'Gargoyles, Angels Of Darkness

I just LOVE the 1 minute guitar solo near the end!

That song's about 19min30sec iirc, and doesn't feel stetched out one bit! :D

-D

(Edit: quoted wrong thing...)
Ashkael,Mar 1 2005, 12:59 PM Wrote:I believe my roomates share that same line of thought!  :lol:
So true, as long as we respect each other's tastes.
[right][snapback]69441[/snapback][/right]

Taste is a personal thing, and is informed by what we are exposed to. I still find Chinese music hard to listen to, even though exposed to it as a lad while living in Taiwan. Disco grated on me when it came out, and I still find it annoying. Soul was fantastic, but I don't seem to find much good modern soul these days. *sigh* Bring back the Isley Brothers.

What I find fascinating is how various musical forms influence and grow from others. Older gaelic forms of folks music had an impact on bluegrass, blues had an influence on rock and country, which also kept strains of bluegrass, and jazz influenced Western Swing. There was lots of experimentation with Eastern/Indian music in a rock format in the 60's and 70's, which produced some interesting synergy. (See the sitar music in the Stone's "Paint it Black.") Classical had an impact on rock (see for example Yes and Queen) and the spinoffs that the organ-synthesizer path paved for the techno style. Of course, the orchestral thread led (IMO unfortunately) to a certain formula "wall of sound" becoming mainstream in the late 70's early 80's, with the (thank you) backlash of Punk and New Wave in counterpoint. (Sort of a back to basics strand away from overproduced forms.) One of my favorite fusions was how Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull mixed rock and roll with medeival musical structures to create a signature sound, which led me to investigate such bands as Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span.

Musicians are a remarkably inventive bunch, or they can be, which thought takes me to the limit stretching avenues that some of the talented Metal artists explore. I stopped enjoying avant garde metal virtuosity a while back, but plenty of folks, including yourself, find it appealing.

Something for everyone.

For my money, whatever sonofabiscut first thought that sampling someone else's music for their own was a good idea needs to be fed into a woodchipper. Sure, it is the same idea as the classical composer's habit of concocting "variations on a theme" by "so and so" but the modern shape of that strikes me as having hit the point of diminishing returns right out of the gate.

My distaste for that habit started when MC Hammer abused Rick James' "Super Freak" (a great party tune) and was not helped by such messes as made with rapping/sampling "Walk This Way." (With Steve Tyler's full endorsement and participation.) Bah, it sells, sure, but BAH, it smells!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Punk. It has to be punk. And not this Green Day gap punk crap either.

Sex Pistols and New York Dolls in CBGBs kind of punk. UK Subs. Ramones. Punk as ****.

Nirvana was the child of this music. Mmm good stuff.

Metal is ok... Some of it is quite good. Nothing put out today is metal though. Shut up, not one word, no rebuttles. Unless you are old enough to remember Woodstock and had to put up with shiny happy flowery free love bovine excrement, you have no idea how refreshing metal (Or punk for that matter) was. Metal, after years of bubble gum crap, was like suddenly getting felatio after years of dry humping your high school girlfriend through several layers of clothing.

Die disco die. Need I say more?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 1 2005, 05:12 PM Wrote:Punk. It has to be punk. And not this Green Day gap punk crap either.
[right][snapback]69479[/snapback][/right]

Bad Religion. Their latest album is pure gold.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla