how to avoid beeing pked
else to the obvious rules ( dont stand next to waypoints or tps) i wanted to know how i avoid beeing pked in, say, hellbaalruns.
i havent been pked ever, yet, because i always follow the obvious rules posted above, but it seems to me that things will rough up a lot in hell, where pking starts to get really funny for the pker and really annoying to the pknee.

i think the types of chars mostly used in pking are the following

1.: bowazons
these are easily able to shoot some guided arrows, go to town and listen to your dying curses.

high blockrate seems to help, since even with hacks, they seem only
to be able to shoot 4 arrows before having to leave for town.
if you are blocking 3 of 4, the last one will not kill you.

2.: Zoo necs
they come, however they hack it, throug a portal while at the same time hostilizing you. then their zoo, mostly helped by a might ore aimer merc beats you down.

if you stay away of any portals, you will not to have to face the
whole crowd. when the nec has enigma, you will be pretty much
eaten. really high defense and blocking as well as dmg reduce should
help.

3.: bone necs
same as bowazones, but with bone spirit. isnt as fast, does hit much harder, but not as often. does someone know if bonespirit is blockable and how to get resistances against them?

4.: elemental druid
i have never seen a onslought of one of these, but it seems they are using
enigma / hurricane or shoot some tornados and leave for town hoping for the random hit...can anyone provide solid information?

5.: frostsorcs
sorcs with anything but ice are quite easily countered by high ( 90 +) resistances
but frostsorcs are able to drop your resistances by more than 200 % and have with ice blast (or was it bolt), blizzard (which stay for a while, so they can go to town, can´t they? dunno if blizzard expires after leaving for town.) and frozen orb, which enables them sure to go for town, a wide range of versatile pking techniques.

the only hope i see at the moment is to have resis higher than 350 %
and some cannot be frozen stuff... any better ideas?

6.: miscelleanous
for example charging palas, hammadins (havent seen them pk, but i know they are quite the pvp machines), singing barbs... please add what u have seen and how to avoid them.

all the types of pk base on fast hostilizing and thus mostly on hacks.
it would be easy to counter them with a chicken hack, but i want to play absolutely without any #$%&. so please add information and tips.
phaedi,Mar 2 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:i wanted to know how i avoid beeing pked in, say, hellbaalruns [...]
all the types of pk base on fast hostilizing and thus mostly on hacks.
it would be easy to counter them with a chicken hack, but i want to play absolutely without any #$%&. so please add information and tips.
[right][snapback]69533[/snapback][/right]

Three words: The Amazon Basin.
You don't know what you're talking about.
First off, get into Baal Runs early in game creation, as Invites start popping up. IF you are a late joiner, it is fairly easy to Trap a WP on you.

Don't go down a WP unless everyone else is not in town. If someone is standing right next to the WP when you arrive, get back to town ASAP. (Particularly if you see a Hydra . . .)

Get to know who the jerks are. If you play a lot of HC games, you will start to see a few easy to recognize names. Avoid them. If in doubt, head out.

Always travel with a Merc, and if you have a summonable, at least one. Some PK attacks, like Hydra, will be diverted by such targets. GA probably won't. Bone Spirit won't. The skeleton Horde will.

Part of what you do is adjust your resistance to deal with the hightest Probability spell that will eat you. IMO, that is Hydra or GA, YMMV.

Part of what you do is practice very carefully the "ESC" exit maneuver. Sometimes, the speed at which you do that is your fastest salvation. Or, use your left hand to start pumping purple pots as fast as you can while your right hand uses the space bar (which you have hot keyed to TP) and the mouse to TP back to town.

And sometimes, when the PK has a godly hacked Bow and is shooting GA and using scroll hack, you die within a fraction of a second.

Around Chargers, find terrain (columns and such) to interpost between you and the Paladin. Its pathing seems to be weird.

Magic resistance is difficult to find. A few unusual items have it. Most don't. Thus Bone Spirit is not something you can get high resists to.

Enjoy.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 2 2005, 02:33 PM Wrote:Part of what you do is adjust your resistance to deal with the hightest Probability spell that will eat you.  IMO, that is Hydra or GA, YMMV.

why is hydra a good pk spell? with resis 75 and above it doesnt do enough dmg to prevent escaping, especially if you have a merc and perhaps some partymembers
in its range... i think it does max 2500 dmg. of this a player only takes
17 % 440. 1/4 of 440 are about 110 dmg. even 5 hydras all firing with all heads will give you a max of 15 hits at once, which means about 1650 dmg.
due to the fact that never all hydra heads spam simultanously, you will have the time needed to escape.
i personally always want my fire and lightning resis above 80, best 90 in hell, that ´ll reduce the hydradmg further.

what means YMMV?

Occhidiangela Wrote:And sometimes, when the PK has a godly hacked Bow and is shooting GA and using scroll hack, you die within a fraction of a second.

[right][snapback]69540[/snapback][/right]

what is scroll hack? this jump to town an declare war stuff?
lfd,Mar 2 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:Three words: The Amazon Basin.
[right][snapback]69534[/snapback][/right]

thanks for those three wise words. but there some buts...
first: on europe servers it seems to be quite nonexistant.
second: leveling is slow there
third:ive played so far in pubby games, i want to reach my lvl 90 pubby.
there have to be some strategies against these pkers, we dont have to hide, isnt it?
phaedi,Mar 2 2005, 04:46 PM Wrote:why is hydra a good pk spell?

Because the caster doesn't have to be anywhere near you to kill you with it. From my experience of public games back in 1.09 you could also find yourself lagged up completely whilst your computer dealt with the 60,000 piles of 1 gold that the hydra pker had dropped around the waypoint, too. I lost a sorceress that way.

Quote:what means YMMV?

It's an abbreviation of "Your Mileage May Vary", which in turn is normally used as a shorthand for "This is my experience of the situation, but yours may be different".

Quote:what is scroll hack?

Using a third-party program to target you from way off the visible screen.

Quote:first: on europe servers it seems to be quite nonexistant.
second: leveling is slow there
third:ive played so far in pubby games, i want to reach my lvl 90 pubby.
there have to be some strategies against these pkers, we dont have to hide, isnt it?

If you're playing hardcore, you have to make the tradeoff between "slow, safe levelling with a friendly looter where you don't have to worry about people ninja-grabbing the drops" and "fast levelling where someone uses a third party program to get all the drops and then you get pked and lose your equipment as well as your character" ;-)

There isn't a huge amount that can be legitimately done against people using illegitimate tactics, sadly.
You don't know what you're talking about.
lfd,Mar 2 2005, 03:27 PM Wrote:Using a third-party program to target you from way off the visible screen.
[right][snapback]69576[/snapback][/right]
Its really not all THAT far off the screen. Missiles and such are incapable of traveling more than about 2 screens. You can only see up to the "black wall of death" as many people experience during major bnet lags (Its not as frequent as it was back in the 1.06 days). Does anyone know if there is a hack that allows 1024x768 resolution? That would simulate the scroll hack to a lesser degree and potentially be more deadly because they wouldn't have to scroll at all and gain the same range of sight. Unfortunately, I think a screen that big would allow too much sniping to be implemented by Blizzard (and thus never become legit), not to mention very taxing on your computer.

With scroll hackers, I think the best way to defeat them is to run behind them. From my experience with the hack, they can't actually see you if you are behind them, even though on a normal screen you are technically still able to see them.

Another point of interest that is from a non hacking standpoint is the ability to play in perspective mode. This allows the top corners of the screen to cover more area, while the bottom covers less. My suggestion to avoid this type of pk is to stay below the person, thus depriving them of their line of sight. I hate perspective anyway, it makes me dizzy.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.