Recommend me some movies
I'd like to watch more movies in the same genre as Saw. I like the whole premise of an intellectual sociopath setting up elaborate deathtraps to kill people and foil homicide detectives. I loved Se7en for this very reason. I think that I can even group The Silence of the Lambs into the mix.

Are there any other films that fall into the same category? I usually hate "thriller" and "police" flicks, so I'm sure that I am missing out on a few in my preferred genre.

What great intellectual evil villian movies have I been missing?
DeeBye,Feb 27 2005, 01:50 AM Wrote:I'd like to watch more movies in the same genre as Saw.  I like the whole premise of an intellectual sociopath setting up elaborate deathtraps to kill people and foil homicide detectives.  I loved Se7en for this very reason.  I think that I can even group The Silence of the Lambs into the mix.

Are there any other films that fall into the same category?  I usually hate "thriller" and "police" flicks, so I'm sure that I am missing out on a few in my preferred genre.

[right][snapback]69176[/snapback][/right]

Dont believe the question is are there any movies that fit in the catagory, but are there any *good* films that fit in it. And to tell the truth other than the films you listed I really cant think of any other decent films.

Still, Saw was the first film I've ever seen where I could not guess the ending and that actually freaked me out to some extent.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Quote:Saw was the first film I've ever seen where I could not guess the ending and that actually freaked me out to some extent.
I was impressed by the ending, too - it was great.
But the con of such films (Saw, The Usual Suspects, M. Night Shyamalan's films) is that you actually can just enjoy them once (maybe twice). Every additional time you watch them, you get distracted by the fact that you already know the ending, and are probably bored.
To answer DeeBye's question - no, I actually don't know of any other good such (violent) films.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Fragbait,Feb 27 2005, 11:04 AM Wrote:I was impressed by the ending, too - it was great.
But the con of such films (Saw, The Usual Suspects, M. Night Shyamalan's films) is that you actually can just enjoy them once (maybe twice). Every additional time you watch them, you get distracted by the fact that you already know the ending, and are probably bored.
[right][snapback]69191[/snapback][/right]

Ain't that the truth. First you get the initial runthrough where everything is new and fresh and unexpected. Then you can go through the movie 1 or 2 more times just to find the little hints and clues that, if you were some form of new-age sherlock holmes, would have pointed toward the ending halfway through the film (applicable only for films where the clues aren't painfully blatant). After that you need to either watch the thing years later when you've forgotten most of it, or watch it along with someone who hasnt seen it already just to see their reaction.

Even then there aren't many movies that you can watch again and again without getting bored of it. Maybe something that your a rediculiously dedicated fan of, but even then you cant get too excited over something when you can recite the script by heart.
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
I have my own signature. Yay.
DeeBye,Feb 27 2005, 12:50 AM Wrote:I'd like to watch more movies in the same genre as Saw.  I like the whole premise of an intellectual sociopath setting up elaborate deathtraps to kill people and foil homicide detectives.  I loved Se7en for this very reason.  I think that I can even group The Silence of the Lambs into the mix.

Are there any other films that fall into the same category?  I usually hate "thriller" and "police" flicks, so I'm sure that I am missing out on a few in my preferred genre.

The Missing.

Turn off the lights. Close all the doors. Turn up the sound. And get ready to jump like a kangaroo. That movie will keep you on the edge of your seat, and you will not guess the ending until it's there. SUCH a good movie, I am so glad I saw it.

Oh, and I saw Saw in the theatre. With my g/f. Truly wonderful movie. Enjoyed every minute of it.

There's also Shaun of the Dead, which mixes much comedy with a decent amount of actual horror (you will get scared from time to time), along with the remake of Dawn of the Dead. None of these involve police, of course, but they are certainly worth seeing. The Missing is most definitely a Thriller, though, not a horror.

OMG, and I almost forgot: The Others. Nicole Kidman in an incredible role. You will NEVER guess the ending, not in a million years. WATCH IT. And be surprised.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
DeeBye,Feb 27 2005, 12:50 AM Wrote:What great intellectual evil villian movies have I been missing?

I would give Sleuth a try.

You don't get better than Olivier and Caine.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Feb 27 2005, 12: Wrote:I would give Sleuth a try.

You don't get better than Olivier and Caine.
[right][snapback]69199[/snapback][/right]

I second that motion. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Roland,Feb 27 2005, 02:02 PM Wrote:OMG, and I almost forgot: The Others. Nicole Kidman in an incredible role. You will NEVER guess the ending, not in a million years. WATCH IT. And be surprised.
[right][snapback]69197[/snapback][/right]

Hell, yeah. That was a great movie, and I never saw the ending coming.
I was thinking about Saw just now, and something bothered me about it.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILERIZED, DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING!

The bad guy was in the room with them the whole time. He was pretending to be the dead body. My beef with this is that they are trapped in a small and very well-lit room for what, 8 hours? You'd think that they would have noticed him breathing, especially since one of them is a medical doctor.
DeeBye,Feb 27 2005, 07:42 PM Wrote:I was thinking about Saw just now, and something bothered me about it.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILERIZED, DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING!
The bad guy was in the room with them the whole time.  He was pretending to be the dead body.  My beef with this is that they are trapped in a small and very well-lit room for what, 8 hours?  You'd think that they would have noticed him breathing, especially since one of them is a medical doctor.
[right][snapback]69220[/snapback][/right]

Actually I believe the explination to that *may* be his disease or whatever problem he had, whatever put him in the hospital in the first place. Although a better question would be how did he electrocute the younger guy when one hand had the gun in it and the other had the tape recorder. That one I'm still trying to figure it out.
-Urza

Urza-DSF,Feb 28 2005, 01: Wrote:Actually I believe the explination to that *may* be his disease or whatever problem he had, whatever put him in the hospital in the first place.  Although a better question would be how did he electrocute the younger guy when one hand had the gun in it and the other had the tape recorder.  That one I'm still trying to figure it out.
[right][snapback]69221[/snapback][/right]
His toes, I guess.
And as soon as one believes that another person is dead (and not much of a pretty sight anyway), the attention that is put forth towards this person is rather slender.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.