Custom-built by mail order
Hi, my Texas friend is looking into buying a new computer. Me being a hardware geek, I recommended various custom parts and certain price / versalitily issues to custom built. She wants safety of mind from a business vendor, so...

Anyone know of a reliable online vendor for custom built computers? Selection of own parts, takes credit cards, builds, installs and ships whole?

If I lived near her, I'd get parts and build it for her. . . but as she lives quite some distance away. The other option is to look into local vendors, but that's up to her.

I'd like some recommendations out of you guys.
Drasca,Feb 23 2005, 01:30 AM Wrote:If I lived near her, I'd get parts and build it for her. . . but as she lives quite some distance away. The other option is to look into local vendors, but that's up to her.
[right][snapback]68784[/snapback][/right]

If you recommend something to her and she buys it, you will always be on the hook for whatever goes wrong with it. Please be aware of that.

You can get:

1. Cheap
2. Quality
3. Support

Unfortunately, you can't get them all in one shot.
If someone doesnt know/care enough about a PC to know what custom features they want then they would probably be happy with an off the shelf model.

Buy a Dell, they are so cheap that its really hard to lose.
DeeBye,Feb 23 2005, 12:50 AM Wrote:you will always be on the hook for whatever goes wrong with it. Please be aware of that.
[right][snapback]68788[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't be doing this if I weren't already constantly talking to her :)

I'm aiming for quality/cheap by choice of products, with prebuilt so she doesn't have to. I can take care of her from there on. She can do basic stuff like install ram or change video cards, but building a comp from parts is too intimidating for her.

As for support, even retail companies don't necessarily give decent support.
I always use newegg for buying parts. Clicky.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Drasca,Feb 23 2005, 09:21 AM Wrote:As for support, even retail companies don't necessarily give decent support.
I've heard that nowadays you must be able to understand Hindi when talking to Dell customer support. :lol:
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Drasca,Feb 22 2005, 11:21 PM Wrote:...She can do basic stuff like install ram or change video cards, but building a comp from parts is too intimidating for her.
[right][snapback]68794[/snapback][/right]

If she is savy enough to take on these tasks, perhaps have her purchase a bare bones system with a case and components that can be upgraded easily. Then have her add on the bells and whistles one at a time. Extra ram, a better video card, DVD drive, etc. Then with that experience under her belt she may be less intimidated next time.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Drasca,Feb 23 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:Hi, my Texas friend is looking into buying a new computer. Me being a hardware geek, I recommended various custom parts and certain price / versalitily issues to custom built. She wants safety of mind from a business vendor, so...

Anyone know of a reliable online vendor for custom built computers? Selection of own parts, takes credit cards, builds, installs and ships whole?

If I lived near her, I'd get parts and build it for her. . . but as she lives quite some distance away. The other option is to look into local vendors, but that's up to her.

Well if she has a few thousand to throw around, there is always Alienware.
WWBBD?
I decided to never buy another Dell for that reason. Although I heard from someone that Dell moved its suport back to the US because customers(like me) were so upset.with the helpless help.

There's always the prebuilt stuff from online parts retailers that's usually quality without the proprietary crap you get put through with companies like Dell, Sony, et al.

I hate buying a complete computer from a namebrand retailer, they always load it with junk you don't need and they have their own splash screen at startup. Call me old fashioned, but I want to see the memory count and BIOS startup (the thing that tells you what IRQs are in use, what's on your primary and secondary IDE ports, etc.).
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Feb 23 2005, 09:34 PM Wrote:There's always the prebuilt stuff from online parts retailers that's usually quality without the proprietary crap you get put through with companies like Dell, Sony, et al.

I hate buying a complete computer from a namebrand retailer, they always load it with junk you don't need and they have their own splash screen at startup.  Call me old fashioned, but I want to see the memory count and BIOS startup (the thing that tells you what IRQs are in use, what's on your primary and secondary IDE ports, etc.).
[right][snapback]68876[/snapback][/right]

I like that also (BIOS and POST screens etc.) Just mine loads too fast! =P
WWBBD?
Drasca,Feb 23 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:Hi, my Texas friend is looking into buying a new computer. Me being a hardware geek, I recommended various custom parts and certain price / versalitily issues to custom built. She wants safety of mind from a business vendor, so...

I know this guy. He'll do it right and arrange to ship it there. He's a straight shooter.
Squidgrid
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Here's the tradeoffs as I see them (and have lived them)

Option #1: Buy from a local PC mfr

Result: You'll get exactly or close to exactly what you want, but possibly go through some convoluted hoops getting the support. You will be forced to either bring the PC to them and lose it for a week or so, or you will wait a couple days for the onsite guy to come.

Option #2: Buy from a national name brand mfr (Gateway, Dell, Alien)

Result: You will have to settle for whatever it is they're currently installing as far as hardware, however, support will be faster. Replacement parts will be shipped out overnight, and/or techs will be onsite same day or next day.

Option #3: build it yourself

Results: exactly what you want, but you're your own support, and have to deal with mfr warrenties for defective parts. (i.e major shipping delays and convoluted processes)
If you get stuck in a trial and error problem solving process, it could take weeks with parts going back and forth.
US East Administrator on The Amazon Basin

[Image: mikeandroe.png]