An Old Bug...
I was running my human warrior around last night, and happened upon a copper vein. I mined it, and went to loot it, but no loot window showed up. Then I realized I was stuck in the loot position. No matter how I moved, I was crouched down and stuck. A logout solved the problem (but lost me the vein to another miner).

I seem to recall hearing about a bug like this, but thought that it was solved. Is this something that still plagues folks, or am I finding out a new bug of some sort?
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Feb 19 2005, 11:57 AM Wrote:I was running my human warrior around last night, and happened upon a copper vein. I mined it, and went to loot it, but no loot window showed up. Then I realized I was stuck in the loot position. No matter how I moved, I was crouched down and stuck. A logout solved the problem (but lost me the vein to another miner).

I seem to recall hearing about a bug like this, but thought that it was solved. Is this something that still plagues folks, or am I finding out a new bug of some sort?
[right][snapback]68462[/snapback][/right]

It seems to be specific to certain veins/herbs. Logout fixes it, mining or gathering from another vein/herb also seems to fix it. Elwynn Forest seems particularly bad when it comes to that.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
There is also a copper vein in the Ogre Mound in Duskwood that has the same problem so beware mining copper down there! :)
-TheDragoon
When the servers were all really bad shortly after retail, this was called "loot lag" and seemed to occur when you looted ANYthing except certain quest items. Supposedly it had to do with database concurrency.

It still occurs now, though rarely, and yes it does seem to be tied to some resource nodes. Logging fixes it, and sometimes just waiting or running around for a while will fix it. Others may not see your character moving while you are stuck in the "looting" crouch though.
Xanthix,Feb 19 2005, 03:30 PM Wrote:When the servers were all really bad shortly after retail, this was called "loot lag" and seemed to occur when you looted ANYthing except certain quest items. Supposedly it had to do with database concurrency.
[right][snapback]68478[/snapback][/right]

It's not the same problem as the infamous "loot lag". What happened there is that when an item was clicked and needed to be added to a player's inventory, the client asked the item database to update the character. But so many requests happened at once, the database couldn't handle everything. So players and their loot got stuck in a queue. More looting only compounded the problem. New hardware, software, and the spreading out of characters has made this issue rare now.

Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
This is the infamous loot glitch. It's so famous there's a video of some people doing it in real life...

It's specific to certain veins/herbs (I've only mined, so I don't know about herbs). Because these can't be mined, they're persistant... leading to making them a fun way to mess with other players. Tell people to mine copper right outside Ironforge, and so on. For yourself, just remember any vein the glitches you, and never go near it again.
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon
Thawwing Light,Feb 21 2005, 10:09 AM Wrote:This is the infamous loot glitch. It's so famous there's a video of some people doing it in real life...

It's specific to certain veins/herbs (I've only mined, so I don't know about herbs). Because these can't be mined, they're persistant... leading to making them a fun way to mess with other players. Tell people to mine copper right outside Ironforge, and so on. For yourself, just remember any vein the glitches you, and never go near it again.
[right][snapback]68570[/snapback][/right]

Actually, not true. Just don't go near it for a few hours. A few hours later, you can come back and happily mine it/herb it.
--Mav
Mavfin,Mar 1 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:Actually, not true.  Just don't go near it for a few hours.  A few hours later, you can come back and happily mine it/herb it.
[right][snapback]69434[/snapback][/right]
There's a node in Elwynn forest though (just below some tower) that was bugged in open beta and is still bugged now. There are also some plants around there that are bugged, in open and release. Maybe not all of the buggy nodes stay bugged in the game, but the ones there have never been normal nodes for me and are always bugged for me.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Mar 1 2005, 05:59 PM Wrote:There's a node in Elwynn forest though (just below some tower) that was bugged in open beta and is still bugged now.  There are also some plants around there that are bugged, in open and release.  Maybe not all of the buggy nodes stay bugged in the game, but the ones there have never been normal nodes for me and are always bugged for me.
[right][snapback]69436[/snapback][/right]

Agreed - there's some Peacebloom near Orgrimmar by the Southfury river that's been bugged each and every time I've tried it in the last couple of days. It isn't limited to veins and herbs, either; a Chen's Empty Keg™ up in the Dry Hills was broken in the same way for me yesterday.

It's a very annoying bug.
You don't know what you're talking about.