Setting up Firefox for a computer illiterate
Being part of the Firefox movement in the past few months I've fallen in love with it - but I'm at my father's house for a few days and he's one of the aohell holdouts. He recently gained a cable internet connection, so I'm ready to set him free and let him enjoy Firefox and keep him a bit safer from the crazies.

What I intend on doing is giving him Firefox with the necessary cool extensions, and setting it up for him - my questions for you guys are 1. What extensions do you think I should give him, other than the classic Firesomething, and 2. What theme is the *closest* to Internet Explorer that you're aware of? I figure dumming things down as much as possible is the way to go for him, but my searches for an I.E. look-alike theme have come up blank. Any ideas?

Any and all suggestions are welcome! And thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, as he has comcast internet, in order to insure the connection to his cable internet he has to connect to the comcast home page, I believe, would setting the Firefox homepage to www.comcast.net/chsi.html (the comcast home page for high speed internet) work for this? My understanding is a bit vague as I've got another internet provider at my main residence, and well, quite simply, I'm not sure I'll be around long enough to see if it works or not.

Baylan
Not much time to reply right now, but Theme wise the closest I've seen it Qute. Much as I don't like the guy who wrote it, he does good work and it was the official theme previously for a reason.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Baylan,Feb 16 2005, 09:37 PM Wrote:EDIT: Forgot to mention, as he has comcast internet, in order to insure the connection to his cable internet he has to connect to the comcast home page
[right][snapback]68255[/snapback][/right]

Why in the world would he have to do that? I've never heard of such a thing.
DeeBye,Feb 16 2005, 09:36 PM Wrote:Why in the world would he have to do that?  I've never heard of such a thing.
[right][snapback]68262[/snapback][/right]

I'm not quite sure - I've got to do a similar thing on my computer, but all I've got to go on is his explanation. I have a wireless connection to the cable setup, and if I don't hit the homepage the connect refuses everything but the homepage. Its an unfortunate consequence to having my parents order it done, and me not being home when the installation was done in order to pick the brain of the install guy. Silly parents...
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
Adblock, MiniT, and BBCode are what I use. If he doesn't do any posting he won't need the BBCode of course.
I think that setting up tools>options appropriately would be the most important thing.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
After using internet explorer for a few years, I tried out Firefox not too long ago. I haven't messed with a single option in the time I've used it; everything is default. I would be hardpressed to tell you any difference between this and internet explorer, except for the additional Google bar in the corner and the scrolling feature when you click MB3. So I guess all I'm saying is, I don't think you should have to really do anything to make it an easy transition from IE, as they are virtually identical in interface (customizations aside).