Managed to kill my orc ghost (fatigue over ocean)
Fatigue over ocean. It kills. I read that was a possibility, but never thought I'd need to "swim" out that far.

WoW crashed on me. Again. Reason* why at bottom. So, I find I cannot log onto my Mannoroth Orc Warlock. No problem. Check out the other servers, a few other races. Come back. As a ghost, I see my corpse out in the ocean... woah. Run far... then fatigue bar goes down. Zero.

My ghost died. I'd feel better if there were ghostbusters in the game, but... nope. That'd be kinda cool. Special "detect ethereal" spells to see where ghosts characters are--but nope. I died, and as a ghost.

Major newbie moment #1 complete. Minor newbie moments include asking how to vend items and other miscellaneous control issues.

*I think I know why I keep on freezing and crashing this time. It isn't my hardware or associated drivers, for once. Its my Win XP user profile. Its probably corrupt due to so many incomplete shutdowns turning into forced shutdowns, thus causing more freezing, and speeding the cycle of death.

After seeing explorer.exe helps the situation (as explorer itself was slowed down greatly), the csrss.exe program was the tip-off, leading to MS articles on what it does and the fact it leads to User profile corruption--something that's happened before and eventually happens.

EDIT: Apparantly profile corruption is only one problem. WoW freeze/crash is another.

Grak. Tried many settings. Drivers. WoW's fairly stable except for this last kind of crash.

At least I know it isn't a underpower issue or an overheating gfx card issue.
I'm not sure if you're implying that ghosts dying is a bug, but I'm pretty sure it is intentional. Blizzard knows about it. Ghosts can die from extreme fall damage too.

I believe the explanation is that, even in ghost form, there are things Blizzard doesn't want people to be able to do, such as run across the ocean (to the maelstrom or Nothrend perhaps) or jump down from the world tree Teldrassil.
I actually did jump off the World Tree and survived. I was doing the Rogue quest where you pick-pocket the Satyr that is out on the branch. I went too far and fell plop! into the water. About waist deep water in fact. I survived and had to hearth out. Somehow waist deep water apparently = safety from falls.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Please link me to your information on User Profile corruption.

My wife and I are getting fairly frequent crashes (especially on logout) and perhaps that is the cause.
So, I was getting the logout patches as well. Almost every time. Then the latest patch came out and I decided since I had to go in and fix my mods anyway, it was time for a massive overhaul. Cleaned cosmos completely out, swapped out to a completely different set of UIs mixed and matched and tweaked it until I had some I was really happy with.

My logout problems have stopped. I can only surmise there's something I had in my old UI stuff that was tapping a function that is buggy.
Raziel,Feb 14 2005, 11:28 AM Wrote:My wife and I are getting fairly frequent crashes (especially on logout) and perhaps that is the cause.
[right][snapback]68055[/snapback][/right]

A simple method to band-aid correct user-profile corruption is to create a secondary profile just for basic no-frills program use. This would be as close to 'safe mode' as possible. Create a "WoW" user profile, and use it just for that, or other basic programs.

Personally, I keep virtual memory off. For me, WoW with WinXP can come close to, but does not go beyond the 1 gigabyte ram mark. Usually sits around 800 megabyte mark total. I have 1.5 gigabytes of physical ram.

Vertex shaders do not run well with my LeadTek Nvidia 6600GT. I tend to crash with Vertex shaders on. If you have Cosmos, OpenGL tends to be more stable with my model of video card. This varies with video card. Turn off various video card options if any of you are having trouble (Vertex shaders for me, Trilinear filtering for others, shadows, antialiasing, etc)
:) Sounds like my newb at sea experience. I was still on Teldrassil with my NE and I encounter some demon my level +1 out on limb beyond the cliff overhanging the sea. You might guess what happened once I hit him and his 4 minions spawned behind me. I tried to jump over them to get to safety and missed a little, and fell, and fell, and fell. Finally, I hit something and the impact killed me.

In retrieving my corpse I could not get close enough without my wisp diving down the same plunge. But, my first attempt at hitting the landing zone missed and I fell all the way to the sea this time with no way of returning up the very steep cliff. So I began the process of circum-navigating the island to find the only access point. The island is star shaped and there were times when in taking short cuts across the deep water that my wisp came close to collapsing.

I've wondered what would happen if one decided to bail from a ship, or zepplin mid voyage, but have not had the guts to try it yet.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Feb 24 2005, 02:53 PM Wrote:I've wondered what would happen if one decided to bail from a ship, or zepplin  mid voyage, but have not had the guts to try it yet.
[right][snapback]68927[/snapback][/right]

You're lucky the boats haven't kicked you at all :P

Menethil to Auberdine was notorious for dropping people, and if you tried to swim back you're gauranteed at least two fatigue deaths (instead of just one and spirit rezzing). I've been dropped by Theramore to Menethil once, and that one you can get back just in time.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,Feb 24 2005, 03:15 PM Wrote:You're lucky the boats haven't kicked you at all :P

Menethil to Auberdine was notorious for dropping people, and if you tried to swim back you're gauranteed at least two fatigue deaths (instead of just one and spirit rezzing).  I've been dropped by Theramore to Menethil once, and that one you can get back just in time.
[right][snapback]68934[/snapback][/right]
If you have aquatic form, at least, a boat crash from Auberdine to Menethil can be swum from. It looked to me like you can do it without aquatic form as well, but I'm not quite as sure.

I felt like such a newb when I jumped off of Teldrassil looking for Sathrah in Cliffspring Falls. My wisp never died from that jump, even after i did it about four times trying to get my body. In the end I caved and spirit rezzed. But I did kill the wisp a couple times. Who could refuse?