Of Evil Overlords
I have just finished reading "The Last Hero" by Terry Pratchett, and I think I will just open it and start all over again. :D It is full of the usual humour that I love in his stories and puts together a fun cast of characters. It was wonderful to meet up with Cohen the Barbarian again. Further, the illustrations are out-and-out lavish - worthy of taking the time to enjoy again.

But, after the fun of reading Peter's Evil Overlord List a while back, this passage in "The Last Hero" really made me smile. I hope y'all like it too.

Quote:"So how come you left the Evil Dark Lord business, Harry?" said Cohen.

"Well, you know how it is these days," said Evil Harry Dread.

The Horde nodded.  They knew how it was these days.

"People these days, when they're attacking your Dark Evil Tower, the first thing they do is block up your escape tunnel," said Evil Harry.

"Bastards!" said Cohen.  "You've got to let the Dark Lord escape.  Everyone knows that."

"And it wasn't as if I didn't play fair," said Evil Harry.  "I mean, I always left a secret back entrance to my Mountain of Dread, I employed really stupid people as cell guards...'

"Dat's me," said the enormous troll proudly.

"...that was you, right, and I always made sure all my henchmen had the kind of helmets that covered the whole face, so an enterprising hero could disguise himself in one, and those come expensive, let me tell you."

"Me and Evil Harry go way back," said Cohen, rolling a cigarette.  "I knew him when he was starting up with just two lads and his Shed of Doom."

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:"Me and Evil Harry go way back," said Cohen, rolling a cigarette.  "I knew him when he was starting up with just two lads and his Shed of Doom."

:lol:

Thanks for the laugh. I haven't read anything by Terry Pratchett yet (sadly, I don't seem to read much of anything these days), but I just might have to go and check this out.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
[Image: UNITY.jpg]

"...I hate to break it to ya', buddy, but that's the way all these villain outfits are run. Mostly these guys have no prior management experience. They come from screwed-up families, they didn't go to college, and they can't take criticism without flying off the handle. It's a drag, but it comes with the territory..."
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.