Don't Judge Too Quickly
Super Bowl: Eagles were a bit rough around the edges on offense. Glad I saw the game, would like to have seen fewer penalties. Both teams a little sloppy.

But for the real entertainment, there are Super Bowl ads.

I found a few of the commercials entertaining, amusing, a few hit the "WTF was that?" and there was a dot.com ad with a bimbo in a tank top testifying before a faux Senate sub committee that was amusing if crass, what with the emphasis on her cleavage, but the winner was:

The ad featuring the guy cooking spaghetti, the cat, and the butcher knife. Great timing and IMO, excellent pacing.

I also liked the ad for the new Mustang, albeit it's slower punch line vs my fave.

The "you are being robbed" made the error of going too far over the top, though I liked its look at the new weirdness of cell phones "hands free" moments. I see so many folks talking on mics when I go to airports that I am now used to it, but at first, I'd see folks "talking to themselves" and it took a few vignetttes before I learned to look for the wire tracing to the phone in their pocket.

Anyway, Occhi says: the cat and the knife ad wins!

Paul McCartney for Super Bowl half time?

Sorry, that was lame. I am a Beatles fan, and am impressed with Paul's overall body of work, but he is so . . . three decades ago . . . but at least he did not expose any of his unmentionables. That might have induced spontaneous mass regurgitation in the bleachers. :P

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 7 2005, 10:44 AM Wrote:Paul McCartney for Super Bowl half time? 

Sorry, that was lame.  I am a Beatles fan, and am impressed with Paul's overall body of work, but he is so . . . three decades ago . . .
Occhi
[right][snapback]67464[/snapback][/right]

I rather thought that was the point? After all, the 'new century' look was vilified last year, so the producers retreated to the safe zone - yanno, that nostalgic time when all was so non-controversial. :rolleyes:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Feb 7 2005, 09:55 AM Wrote:I rather thought that was the point?  After all, the 'new century' look was vilified last year, so the producers retreated to the safe zone - yanno, that nostalgic time when all was so non-controversial.    :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]67465[/snapback][/right]

May I suggest that it was an extreme overcorrection? Typical draconian management response to a minor problem. The problem of the past year was in hiring MTV to run the show.

There was some word that Lynyrd Skynyrd was going to be the entertainment. They did not make the cut.

I think Nickelback would have been a good choice, however, given the demographic at the stadium and watching the game, understand why they were probably not even on the short list.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Wooot ! Those were my two favorite commercials also ! :D

I didn't mind Paul this year , I can't even remember the boob that played last year ..... :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Occhidiangela,Feb 7 2005, 11:31 AM Wrote:May I suggest that it was an extreme overcorrection?  Typical draconian management response ...
Occhi
[right][snapback]67468[/snapback][/right]

May I agree? ;)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Let's face it. We need a band that:

A) is still actively touring and recording within the last 5 years.
B) has broad popular appeal across generations
C) can reliably sing and play a noteworthy performance in a live setting
D) can be trusted to use lyrical and visual performance that can be aired live on network TV

Conclusion: U2 should do it every year until the wheels fall off.

I think Sir Paul was actually singing live, which makes it a better performance than last year. Whether he was actually playing the guitar sitting in his hands is debatable. Last year, out of all those artists who performed, Kid Rock is the only one who had me convinced he was not lipsynching to a prerecorded take. I've become pretty jaded and skeptical about this type of thing. I think we need another generation of "MTV Unplugged" sessions to see what we've got available.

Or maybe they should just put the cheerleaders on stage and play AC/DC over the PA. Oh wait, that's what they do for every other NFL game ;)
Comments on selected of your suggestions.

Nystul,Feb 7 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:1.  Conclusion: U2 should do it every year until the wheels fall off.

2.  I think we need another generation of "MTV Unplugged" sessions to see what we've got available.

3.  Or maybe they should just put the cheerleaders on stage and play AC/DC over the PA.  Oh wait, that's what they do for every other NFL game ;)
[right][snapback]67484[/snapback][/right]

1. As talented as those lads are, and they are good, year after year of Bono's posturing would leave me begging for Barry Manilow.

2. Aye. In spades.

3. Yes indeed, let's stop beating about the bush. They should have cheerleader competition (high schools and colleges do it all the time) on stage: Whoever out boogies, out shakes, out jiggles, out dances the other, (Eagles cheerleaders versus Pats cheerleaders looked to me to be two all star line ups) to an AC/DC or other agreed musical format, wins the Super Shake Down™ prize, also knows as the Ann Margaret trophy. (She was a Rockette).

Who is with me? I'll be writing to Paul Taglibuge as soon as I get 100 signatures on a petition!

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
If petitions accomplished anything, I'd sign it. Unfortunately, they don't. And I'm not about to put my name on a worthless document.
As to the commercials: The ones that stood out to me were the vivacious lady testifying before the Senate committee (I thought it was quite clever and amusing - the old guys reaching back for their oxygen masks and one of her straps breaking were some of the better laughs), the Budweiser commercial where the pilot jumped out of the plane after the 6 pack of Bud Light, the "don't jump to assumptions" one with the cat and butcher knife was also excellent, and the FedEx one with Burt Reynolds.

The commercial for the new Mustang in the winter was pretty lame, especially since it was shown at least 3 times. All I kept thinking was, "Well, okay... why should I care then?" Fox's 'we just lost 2.4 million dollars to tell you guys about 24' commercial was also stupid. What do they want, a medal or something for not padding their pocketbooks with another bloated commercial fee? Congratu-f*cking-lations. Those two stuck out in mind as extra bad commercials, though a couple others definitely had everyone looking around the room at each other with their respective "WTF was that?" (if I may borrow the term Occhi) buttons pushed. Most other commercials have already faded to the misty nether regions of my brain as vague recollections, and nothing more.

As to the actual game: I've loved Tom Brady ever since I watched him playing at U of M - nothing pleases me more than seeing him succeed. Throw Ty Law on the same team (his dislike of Lloyd notwithstanding) and I'm as happy as can be. I have nothing but respect for Belichick as well... his work ethic, sellf-effacing personality, and the way his players have bought into his system is a testament to his greatness as a coach. Simply amazing.

T.O. also showed me a lot that night. A gutsy performance to say the least, and anyone that puts their team and desire to win above themself like that can't be all that bad. Much respect gained there.

All in all, it was an excellent Super Bowl. Catered food from the local Mexican joint, keg of PBR, 20 friends at our house, and a good game = lots of fun
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:...Paul's overall body of work...
Which does not include piercings, IIRC.

But, argh. Now I'm haunted by the image of Paul pulling a Janet. Find a happy place, find a happy place... :)

I skipped the game and the Ads, and opted for a rare warm day outside playing with the kids.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Mithrandir,Feb 7 2005, 05:06 PM Wrote:and the FedEx one with Burt Reynolds.
[right][snapback]67509[/snapback][/right]

My brother showed me it today, was pretty good.

Otherwise, the superbowl meant an extra hour of MOO3 thanks to getting back to my mom's house earlier, and my brother watching.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
No one mentioned the "I work with monkeys" ads? Those and the cat & sauce "don't judge too quickly" made me chuckle the most. Maybe the "I work with monkeys" tickled me so because of my tendency to call everyone and everything a monkey. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Zingydex,Feb 7 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:If petitions accomplished anything, I'd sign it.  Unfortunately, they don't.  And I'm not about to put my name on a worthless document.
[right][snapback]67493[/snapback][/right]

You are incorrect. Petitions can work. Two years ago, a petition was circulated in CC to change the system from mayor to city manager full time. Petition was circulated, enough names got on it to put it to vote. IT got on the ballot. It lost. I could have won.

Petitions can work. Of course, the one I suggest is probably in the 'hot air to show how some folks feel' category that you care little for.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Mithrandir,Feb 7 2005, 07:06 PM Wrote:Fox's 'we just lost 2.4 million dollars to tell you guys about 24' commercial was also stupid.
[right][snapback]67509[/snapback][/right]
24 is probably my favorite show on TV, of the few I watch, and from talking to people it seems to be a very common favorite as well as being extremely popular. So I can understand why they were trying to underscore how much they were spending on promoting it.
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Treesh,Feb 7 2005, 09:28 PM Wrote:No one mentioned the "I work with monkeys" ads? Those and the cat & sauce "don't judge too quickly" made me chuckle the most.  Maybe the "I work with monkeys" tickled me so because of my tendency to call everyone and everything a monkey. ;)

I liked the "I work with monkeys" spots: they made me think of several of my co-workers. I also liked the P-diddy in a diet Pepsi truck spot. As for the game, like everyone else, I think the Eagles wasted too many chances. I hate to say it, but my fellow SU alumn (D'nab 5 as his liscence plate used to read) spent too many plays throwing the ball too far above/below/behind the intended receiver.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Feb 8 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:I liked the "I work with monkeys" spots: they made me think of several of my co-workers.  I also liked the P-diddy in a diet Pepsi truck spot.  As for the game, like everyone else, I think the Eagles wasted too many chances.  I hate to say it, but my fellow SU alumn (D'nab 5 as his liscence plate used to read) spent too many plays throwing the ball too far above/below/behind the intended receiver.
[right][snapback]67551[/snapback][/right]

For Jeunmaitre and Treesh:

Perhaps your co workers also liked the chimp ads, and for them you are among the simians? ;)

Where ya sit determines what ya see. :blink:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 8 2005, 11:49 AM Wrote:For Jeunmaitre and Treesh:

Perhaps your co workers also liked the chimp ads, and for them you are among the simians?  ;)

Where ya sit determines what ya see.    :blink:

Occhi
[right][snapback]67562[/snapback][/right]

Oh I know the cats think of me as a monkey. You have no idea how many times I get the famed "Are you really that stupid?!" look from both of the girls every day. ;)

Yes, this means I'm a homemaker. My "co-workers" (the two cats we have) are more of a hindrance than a help so yes, they get called monkeys. :D They put up with that and I put up with the "stupid human" looks they give when I try to get them to help put away the laundry and all they want to do is bury themselves in it and have only the tips of their noses visible. ;) Somehow, housework just doesn't seem to something they want to learn. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:1. As talented as those lads are, and they are good, year after year of Bono's posturing would leave me begging for Barry Manilow.

Agreed. A tremendous band and career, and I quite enjoy their music, but if it came to meeting the band, I'd only want to be introduced to the Edge. I find Bono (and Adam Clayton) to be incredibly annoying.

As for the MTV thing? I think that you'd find that the only popular "main stream" rock bands worth listening to in such a session at this point are 10+ years old. U2, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, REM (but it's questionable whether anyone would listen at this point), Oasis. A possible exception is Coldplay, but unplugged seems like a strange format for them, for some reason.

Does anyone really want to hear Chad Kroeger sing without a set of massive amps? I know I don't (on an interesting, related note, he lives less than five minutes from my house). Of course, like most others that I know, I tired of his inane groaning about a month and a half after the release of their second album.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Treesh,Feb 8 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:1.  My "co-workers" (the two cats we have) are more of a hindrance than a help so yes, they get called monkeys. :D 

2.  Somehow, housework just doesn't seem to something they want to learn. ;)
[right][snapback]67578[/snapback][/right]

As to 1. Oy, I have worked with people who were being paid who were more hindrance than help.

And as for 2. Try the weekly chore of getting teenagers or pre teens to learn how to do a variety of "household chores" correctly. At last my son has the lawn mowing figured out.

We endeavour to persevere.

(I imagine my Dad had similar sentiments some 30+ years ago . . .)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 8 2005, 04:26 PM Wrote:And as for 2.  Try the weekly chore of getting teenagers or pre teens to learn how to do a variety of "household chores" correctly.  At last my son has the lawn mowing figured out.

[right][snapback]67603[/snapback][/right]

Heh. No thank you! There's good reasons why GG and I don't want kids and that's one of them. At least there's a reason for the blank stares and the hostile glares I get when I tell the cats to do the dishes. ;)

Of course, there was the one time when I told the younger cat to go find the older cat (it was flea wipe time) and I'll be darned if she didn't run off and come right back with the other cat following. :D They were a bit miffed when they found out why I wanted both of them, but they did get treats afterwards for compensation. ;)
Intolerant monkey.