Guild Wars: Character Profession Primary attribute
Swiss Mercenary,Mar 26 2005, 09:10 PM Wrote:But one thing I  can guarantee you, is that you won't be sitting there, holding down a single attack skill :P.
[right][snapback]71996[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the great info! Sounds like purchasing it will be a good (gaming-wise) use of my money.

I will just have to make sure I end up on the main Lurker server this time and not off on a Kilroggesque server like I did with WoW :)
Falomin

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.

- Mel Brooks
Falomin,Mar 27 2005, 01:51 AM Wrote:Thanks for the great info!  Sounds like purchasing it will be a good (gaming-wise) use of my money.

I will just have to make sure I end up on the main Lurker server this time and not off on a Kilroggesque server like I did with WoW  :)
[right][snapback]72007[/snapback][/right]

There is only one game world - Imagine Diablo 2, but no realm seperation whatsoever.

And, in case you were not aware, overcrowding and the like isn't an issue, because every area with combat is instanced.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Hi

The next Beta Weekend Event will start Friday morning, April 15th.
Please watch www.guildwars.com for more information.
Quote:Guild Wars will be on most store shelves on April 28th, but preorder customers will be able to enter Guild Wars on 12:01 a.m. Pacific on April 27th. The period of Early Access will extend for 48 hours.

http://www.guildwars.com/events/faq.html
Quote:Will there be a subscription fee for Guild Wars? Are there any other fees, such as for patches or updates?

There will not be a subscription fee of any kind, anywhere in the world and there are no hidden fees. You will not have to pay for the streaming updates that will take place on a regular basis, nor for additional content that we will provide between the chapters of Guild Wars.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
King Jim,Mar 28 2005, 05:54 AM Wrote:The next Beta Weekend Event will start Friday morning, April 15th.
[right][snapback]72096[/snapback][/right]

Well, it's come and gone now, and overall I had a great time. The massive "end of beta" skivvy dance around the central bonfire in Ascalon City (at least in district 1) was worth the price of admission--that is, $10 for the pre-order package. I hope someone got a clean screenshot of all the synchronized dancing; the lady necros with their new /dance routine were a hoot. Alice the Camel, my main char for the weekend (it's all fantasy, yes, moving on now...) was one of the very few lady monks present; towards the end we were doing katas in a sweet 3-point star formation. It is not easy to get those avatars sync'd up, btw.

I will write up some more later on... for now, I liked the upgrades they made to the interface, the chat options (you can uncheck whatever channel you don't want to see messages from, though it's still not 100% functional), the NPC/pet AI, the crafting options, expanded emotes, and voice acting in the cutscenes.

What I want to know is this: Did anyone stay to the bitter end? Did Gwen immolate everyone again, or what did NCSoft/ArenaNet do for the party's-over schtick this time? I had to go to bed, being a lame productive working schlub.

Thanks,
- Theo

aka Elsie the Irked, Dale the Tedious, Thelvar the Intact, and Alice the Camel
Robots *will* kill you.
Pop Squid,Apr 18 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:what did NCSoft/ArenaNet do for the party's-over schtick this time?

OK, read up on a few GW-specific forums... there were fireworks, an invasion army of garden gnomes who said "Ni!" and giant deadly worms. And the synchronized skivvydancing, of course. ;)

EDIT: Caught a Fraps'd vid of the end-of beta fireworks. They were really good, Gandalf-style stuff. It probably was the coolest eye candy I have ever seen in any PC or console game, and definitely in the fantasy genre. Birds, bees, butterflies, spirals & spark-snow... ooh, ahh, AND wow.
Robots *will* kill you.
Pop Squid,Apr 18 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:OK, read up on a few GW-specific forums... there were fireworks, an invasion army of garden gnomes who said "Ni!" and giant deadly worms.  And the synchronized skivvydancing, of course.  ;)

EDIT:  Caught a Fraps'd vid of the end-of beta fireworks. They were really good, Gandalf-style stuff.  It probably was the coolest eye candy I have ever seen in any PC or console game, and definitely in the fantasy genre.  Birds, bees, butterflies, spirals & spark-snow... ooh, ahh, AND wow.
[right][snapback]74379[/snapback][/right]

When the worms (the Dune kind) were rising out of the ground, killing everyone in town, there was alot of begging and screaming and mock praying to the gods (the GW gods) to save people. During this massacre one person yelled "Somebody get a thumper!!" :D .

TriggerHappy,Apr 19 2005, 09:29 PM Wrote:there was alot of begging and screaming and mock praying to the gods

"I must not fear
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration..." <GULP>

Robots *will* kill you.
I never played during any of the beta weekends (and now I'm kicking myself for that), but I find this game to be very attractive. In fact, I have the cinematic opening on my desktop next to the trailer for Revenge of the Sith (the good, ominous one, not the new feel-good one). Then again, maybe I'm just a sucker for melodrama.

Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to get in on this any time in the near future, argh. The idea of having a Warrior/Ranger (focus on pets and traps) seems like it would kick booty. Darnit, why didn't I inherit a gajillion dollars so I could lie around and play games all day?
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Pop Squid,Apr 18 2005, 09:23 PM Wrote:EDIT:&nbsp; Caught a Fraps'd vid of the end-of beta fireworks. They were really good, Gandalf-style stuff.&nbsp; It probably was the coolest eye candy I have ever seen in any PC or console game, and definitely in the fantasy genre.&nbsp; Birds, bees, butterflies, spirals & spark-snow... ooh, ahh, AND wow.
[right][snapback]74379[/snapback][/right]
Is there a link/place you could direct us to for the movie? I saw the one on the official site, but that was just the circles and a few other shapes (still impressive for something coming out of a game engine that's not fuul-on cinematic).

I just pre-ordered this past weekend (would have done so earlier, but money has been an issue) from EB for my bow, hope to see people there on the 27th onward.

P.S. - Did anyone else preorder the Collector's Edition?
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
I managed to get lucky and snagged a preorder box from Target for $1. Gonna hop on and see what I've been missing, if anyone wants to look me up.

Character should be named Weylan Tor, Necromancer/something. :ph34r:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
King Jim,Mar 28 2005, 04:54 AM Wrote:Hi
The next Beta Weekend Event will start Friday morning, April 15th.
[right][snapback]72096[/snapback][/right]

Oy, I need to stop by EB on the way home to finish off paying for Guild Wars. I can play tonight!

wow, oops,

guild wars, a GORPG.

Global Online RolePlaying Game.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete