What is George Bush's name?
Occhidiangela,Feb 11 2005, 01:19 PM Wrote:Do you refer to on kg mass, or weight, which I think is in Newtons.

Occhi
[right][snapback]67844[/snapback][/right]

Does it matter? Weight is mass multiplied by a constant. If they are of equal weight in the same conditions, they are of equal mass. If they are of equal mass under the same conditions, they are of equal weight. If they are of equal mass in one place, they will be of equal mass in any place. Unless we are involving something more sophisticated than Newtonian physics, the scale should stay balanced no matter where you take it.

But if you take it to Chicago, most of the plumes will blow away and the lead will be heavier ;)
Nystul,Feb 11 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:If they are of equal mass in one place, they will be of equal mass in any place.
[right][snapback]67861[/snapback][/right]
Hi!

What you might have missed out - maybe I didn't make myself clear - is:
On the earth, you measure the mass, contemporaneously incorporating the lifting force of each of the things in earth atmosphere (compare plumes to lead). But the moon 'atmosphere' is completely different, and you have to take that into account...

So?

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Fragbait,Feb 12 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:Hi!

What you might have missed out - maybe I didn't make myself clear - is:
On the earth, you measure the mass, contemporaneously incorporating the lifting force of each of the things in earth atmosphere (compare plumes to lead). But the moon 'atmosphere' is completely different, and you have to take that into account...

So?
Greetings, Fragbait
[right][snapback]67906[/snapback][/right]

Mass is unaffected by atmosphere, while weight is the one being effected.

If you have 10N of lead and 10N of plumes they will both weigh (9.8*10=) 98kg, if it's on another planet they'll simply have different weights compared to other planets but always be identical to each other on the same planet.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Feb 12 2005, 08:07 AM Wrote:Mass is unaffected by atmosphere, while weight is the one being effected.

If you have 10N of lead and 10N of plumes they will both weigh (9.8*10=) 98kg, if it's on another planet they'll simply have different weights compared to other planets but always be identical to each other on the same planet.
[right][snapback]67911[/snapback][/right]

Nitpick, you mixed up newtons and kilograms. "newtons" should be the mass times gravity.

The atmosphere's effect is on the apparent weight of whatever gets weighed, so technically, if the scale says 10 N, you have to add your volume of air to get the real weight, and since feathers and lead have different densities, the volumes and weights will be different. This is usually a really small effect, and may or may not actually matter for this problem.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Feb 12 2005, 07:01 PM Wrote:Nitpick, you mixed up newtons and kilograms.  "newtons" should be the mass times gravity. 

The atmosphere's effect is on the apparent weight of whatever gets weighed, so technically, if the scale says 10 N, you have to add your volume of air to get the real weight, and since feathers and lead have different densities, the volumes and weights will be different.  This is usually a really small effect, and may or may not actually matter for this problem.
[right][snapback]67933[/snapback][/right]
Exactly. Good!

Imagine weighing plumes and lead under water: because of the lifting force you may never actually be able to weigh one kg of plumes under water. Same goes (in reduced dimensions) for the atmosphere: if both of them are weighed on earth, the lifting force brings about that actually more than 1kg plumes and more that one kg lead are measured. But still more kg plumes than lead, let's say 1.00092 kg plumes actually, and 1.00007 kg lead actually. On the earth, they weigh both exactly the same. Since the moon 'atmosphere' is not so 'dense' than the earth atmosphere, though, the plumes are heavier (if just a little bit) than the lead now, and the scale will travel to the side of the plumes.

PS: Monica's father has five daughters: Lele, Lili, Lala, Lolo, and what's the name of his fifth daughter?
(ok that's far easier again :) )

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hi,

Fragbait,Feb 13 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:[...]
PS: Monica's father has five daughters: Lele, Lili, Lala, Lolo, and what's the name of his fifth daughter?

Oh no, a 9Live watcher... :lol: I've been sick for several days now, not being able to do more than mindlessly watching TV, and asked myself just how many people make that expensive phonecall to 9Live trying to answer this kind of riddle... :ph34r:

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider