New Technique
Nice article, I have been thinking this was necessary for a while! Woohoo! =)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6906884/?GT1=6190
WWBBD?
I'll agree that languages could use some better teaching. I've been taken french for several years starting in 7th grade and stiull don't really get it. All those people who know 3 or more all seem really amazing thanks to that, even though a lot of people do it and learn the languages pretty quickly.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Yrrek,Feb 3 2005, 02:35 PM Wrote:Nice article, I have been thinking this was necessary for a while! Woohoo! =)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6906884/?GT1=6190
[right][snapback]67087[/snapback][/right]

Sounds interesting, but it's hardly a new program, even for the US. Language immersion programs have been around for a while now, and, in general, have been shown to be effective. The two most common types of immersion seem to be the type where all students speak a main language (in this case, English), and are immersed for part of the time in a second language.

The other type of immersion is called two-way immersion, and that's where two groups of children, each of whom speak one of two primary languages. Ffor example, 10 Spanish speakers and 10 English speakers might be put into a class of 20 Kindergertners. The children are then immersed in one language for part of the time, and in the other the rest of the time.

Two-way immersion programs are trendy enough that people are doing all kinds of different things and calling it two-way immersion at the moment, so parents and teachers would do well to look at their programs with a critical eye.

I personally think that learning *in* a language is much more effective than trying to learn a language in isolation. As an adult, I get a lot out of the grammar classes that I take, but I still think I learn more when I'm on the job and need to use the language to communicate something to somebody.

My daughter is in her second year of a two-way immersion program, and I'm quite happy with it. I've also done a fair amount of research into two-way immersion programs in my work as a teacher. I don't have any strict bilingual model in my classroom (my class is *not* any kind of immersion model, officially), but I have seen children start to learn each other's language, and that's been a great experience. :)
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
You are right, just I have never been involved in a program like this, although I would have enjoyed it. Hopefully this becomes more widespread!
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Feb 3 2005, 11:26 PM Wrote:You are right, just I have never been involved in a program like this, although I would have enjoyed it. Hopefully this becomes more widespread!
[right][snapback]67119[/snapback][/right]

I was so excited when I first heard about it. :) I think they will spread, but as they get popular there will be some poorly run schools with immersion programs. These will be highly publicized to "make an example of them", and then a lot of other perfectly good scools will be forced to close.

Hopefully by doing the best we can and staying out of the way of the overly politicized types we can just keep doing our thing here without falling prey to that cycle.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Sounds like a great idea... but the bottom line is ever the concern, especially with that delightful "No Child Left Behind" bit already killing schools.

The American School System - Doing more with less since its inception.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Feb 7 2005, 03:56 AM Wrote:Sounds like a great idea... but the bottom line is ever the concern, especially with that delightful "No Child Left Behind" bit already killing schools.

The American School System - Doing more with less since its inception.
[right][snapback]67438[/snapback][/right]

Try: Doing less with less ever since Ike Left Office. The system that feeds it, IMO, is what is most in need of reform and is least susceptible to it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete