Tips for losing weight
Armin,Feb 4 2005, 02:54 PM Wrote:Also, be careful when switching from sugar to artificial sweeteners (or, for instance coke light), as the human body can be a bitch. When you drink or eat something that is very sweet, but has no actual sugar in it, your taste buds still warn the digestive system "watch out, sugar coming". Your pancreas will secrete Insulin in anticipation, but no actual sugar is coming, thus your blood sugar drops and you become *extremely* hungry.
Many a diet has failed that way  ;)
[right][snapback]67157[/snapback][/right]

It's funny, you know, I lost about 80 pounds over the course of five months by doing a low carb diet, and the only thing that kept me glued to the diet was the insane amount of diet coke I used to drank. It was my guilty pleasure and the only way I could control my hunger during the day.
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

- Manowar
Occhidiangela,Feb 4 2005, 11:41 PM Wrote:My own researches into coffee are that it is the one thing without which America could not function.

You want to bring America to its knees?

Coffee embargo!

Occhi
[right][snapback]67233[/snapback][/right]

That'd do it. Seattle would be hit hardest, I think. Plus all major cities, due to huge population of starbucks... the necessity of coffee off all office spaces...

Oh my. We really are dependent on coffee. Lucky I'm not a coffee addict... just internet/gaming/skirt-chasing (no matter how much I swear off... I take the "swear at" advice instead).

In another non-sequiter, I am a firm believer of giving girls flowers. I just haven't done it yet due to non-dating status.
I really can't add much more to anything that was already said in here but I'll try.

3 times a week is the absolute minimum for starters, if you wish to do more you simply got to decide on an order, for example, do back arm muscles+back, day after forward arm muscles+chest then legs+shoulders etc' etc'.

I cannot express how important it is to get instructions on how to do the exercizes(sp?) ESPECIALLY the back muscles as that area is highly sensitive and not doing it wrong can severely injure you.

Aerobics as well as tummy muscles is something that is recommended or even necessary to do for at least 20 minutes, doing less than that does very little, I also suggest getting some knowledge of the different tummy exercizes as it is split to many sub categories (upper, lower, sides, etc') and doing 1-3 exercizes simply won't cut it.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Occhidiangela,Feb 5 2005, 06:41 AM Wrote:My own researches into coffee are that it is the one thing without which America could not function.

You want to bring America to its knees?

Coffee embargo!

Occhi
[right][snapback]67233[/snapback][/right]

Hah! I know I would definitely not function myself without coffe. Besides I am guilty of drinking way to much of it daily. I keep telling myself that I don't smoke, so I'm allowed to drink it...just ooooone more cup. My daily attempt to fool myself :whistling:
Iolair,Feb 5 2005, 02:22 AM Wrote:But I wonder about your numbers. You said normal people can only change about +/- 10% of our cholesterol level by diet change. This does not correspond to what I have seen in my own life,  what I have observed from patients and what dietician and doctors have informated me about. So I was hoping you could elaborate on the estimate. I don't ask to argue, but more out of curiosity.
[right][snapback]67221[/snapback][/right]

Hi Iolair,

well... Arhus, Denmark... I'll simply assume that there's a certain chance that German might be one of your foreign languages, as I don't think that there's an English translation available:

"Die Cholesterinlüge", by Walter Hartenbach

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3776...6530530-5763743

I haven't checked the numbers, but from my own experience, genetic disposition plays the major role in total blood cholesterol and NOT diet. During my worst days (300 pounds at 6'3) I had a total blood cholesterol of under 100. My Aunt, who's thin as a twig, took colesterol antagonists because no diet she ever tried would get her below 300...

There's alot of biased studies around (especially the ancient, IIRC Norwegian, one that started all the "cholesterol causes heart disease" craze, where they simply omitted the entire control group) and billions in monetary interest involved.

Btw: not ALL people cannot affect their blood cholesterol significantly by dietary changes, but a very large group. I think it was 3/4 of Europeans, but it's been a while since I read the thing :blush:
Also, "normal" dietary changes were referred to, not extreme misnourishment in the one or other direction. But omitting eggs and butter for most people won't change a thing.

Btw.: another book I can recommend:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3492...6530530-5763743
"Lexikon der populären Ernährungsirrtümer" by Udo Pollmer & Susanne Warmuth
also no English version I think

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince...
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. ...
and still keep the frog you started with.
Yesterday I made a batch of microwave pop corn. How would you rate that snack? Worse than chocolate or better? Worse than potato chips? (those were my 3 options) :)

It is now 2 in the morning, night to Sunday, and I'm fighting the overwhelming urge to go make myself a roast beef-sandwich. I've had fruit, I've had water, and I still want food. Also, tomorrow is "national bun day" (free translation. The real term "Fasten-Abend" is german.) where we make these rolls (or "buns"), stick them with jelly and whipped cream, sprinkle a little icing sugar and go to town; and guess what, the buns are already made, waiting on the kitchen counter.

You know those situations where a bell goes off and you realise you have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other; each one telling you what to do? Self-restraint, where are you?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw

>Yesterday I made a batch of microwave pop corn. How would you rate that snack? Worse than chocolate or better? Worse than potato chips? (those were my 3 options) :)

Unless the popcorn is topped to the ceiling with butter and caramel, it's probably the better of the 3. At least for the amount vs calories you're getting.

>It is now 2 in the morning, night to Sunday, and I'm fighting the overwhelming urge to go make myself a roast beef-sandwich. I've had fruit, I've had water, and I still want food.

There's been some good tips and information offered about the technical side, but unless I've missed it there's scant mention of the 'why'. Specifically why someone might be feeling hungry, aside from the physical aspect.

Let's face it, things would be a lot simpler if food is just food. But food can be used as a 'friend', a method of celebration, a band aid, and an escape. I know I have a struggle with using food as a filler when I feel anxious or bored.

I'm not suggesting that you are experienceing any of the above, you very well could be just in an unfortunate circumstance (that description of bun day sounds pretty good). Or just going through the normal craving most people go through when they're trying modifying their eating routines. I'm just suggesting I think there is something to the idea that the feeling of hunger can stem from something other than just the physical side.
[ Wrote:Angel,Feb 6 2005, 01:13 AM]You know those situations where a bell goes off and you realise you have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other; each one telling you what to do? Self-restraint, where are you?
[right][snapback]67301[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like you need an incentive.

My two cents: I'm on the Hacker's Diet. It's the same "more output than input" formula of other dieting plans mentioned, but gives the whole thing a solid scientific basis.

My incentive is in the form of a skirt. I told Kasreyn that when he flew up to Roanoke for graduation in May, I'd be wearing it. It's hanging on the wall next to my door. Whenever I think about indulging in something I shouldn't (I have a terrible weakness for French fries), all I have to do is look at the skirt on the wall and think about wearing that skirt in May, and the thoughts of breaking the diet usually go away.

It also helps to have some sort of quick-burning "reward snack" for times you might be tempted. I carry beef jerky for such an occasion. (Imagine going home to a Jewish household with a mother cooking good Italian food and baking wonderfully tempting sweets! I know where you are, and it ain't pretty. :wacko:)

EDIT: Two wrong tags do not a hyperlink make.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
I'm either the least qualified or the most qualified person to give you advice on weight loss. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I eat like a pig. I hate low-fat foods, and I always supersize my fast food meals (when I resort to fast food, that is). This is not to say that I eat unhealthy; I just eat a lot of full-flavoured food. I'm a pretty decent cook, and I enjoy enjoy experimenting with random dishes. But I will never, ever skimp on taste when it comes to lowering fat content. I can easily eat 5 full-fledged meals a day, and I do so quite often. I wouldn't even want to try to guesstimate my average daily caloric intake.

I'm 30 years old, 6'0", 145 lbs. My weight hasn't budged more than 5 lbs over the last 16 years.

What's my secret? I'm fidgety. I am in constant motion 24 hours a day. I fidget when I sleep! I'm one of those super-annoying people that always has to tap his leg like a jackhammer. I can't sit in the same position for more than 5 seconds. If you sit behind me in a movie theatre, get ready for a show.

I am descended from a long line of fidgeters. My mom is fidgety, my dad is fidgety, and my brother is even more fidgety than all of us put together (last I heard he weighed 130 lbs, and he is in the Air Force). We're like a family of speed-freaks, only without the illicit drugs.

No, I do not have ADD. I do not require ritalin. I am perfectly able to focus on whatever task is at hand, for as long as it takes for me to complete it. I just need to be able to tap my feet while I do it :)

There is some valid scientific research being performed on this phenomenon:
http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=122648

Quote:Researchers at the Mayo Clinic believe it's not the trips to the gym, but the everyday pacing, fidgeting and restlessness that may play a bigger role in whether someone's fat or thin, according to a small study of self-described couch potatoes.

Note: I conciously stay away from caffeine. I allow myself no more than two caffeinated drinks per day.
Occhidiangela,Feb 4 2005, 09:17 AM Wrote:I do like to vary how I cook them, and generally prefer olive oil to butter in most cases.[right][snapback]67162[/snapback][/right]
And olive oil is the healthy oil, right? Not exactly. <_< Let me explain.

Olive oil is a very healthy oil - at room temperature. However, once it gets heated past a certain point (can't remember the exact number, but suffice it to say that the threshold is below that of the temperature required to cook eggs), it ungoes a few chemical changes and isn't so healthy any more.
Ashkael,Feb 5 2005, 06:37 AM Wrote:It's funny, you know, I lost about 80 pounds over the course of five months by doing a low carb diet, and the only thing that kept me glued to the diet was the insane amount of diet coke I used to drank. It was my guilty pleasure and the only way I could control my hunger during the day.
[right][snapback]67236[/snapback][/right]

A fine example how things can work the exact opposite way round once you change the dosage from normal to insane :rolleyes:

Also, losing 80 pounds means that BEFORE the diet you were probably well in my league of overweight (aka dangerously so) and pretty likely your organism was thus well used to increased blood insulin levels.

And while the sweetnes might not decrease blood sugar as much as in less overweight people, the large amounts of water (thats after all what 99% of diet coke is ;) ) will fill your stomach and create a feeling of saturation...

feedback loops and regulatory networks... never easy :wacko:

A fine point to remember is that aerobic training makes you less hungry for around 15-24 hours after the training, heck even a 3 minutes run allows me to go through half a day with significantly less food than usual.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Quote:and not doing it wrong can severely injure you.
Nice one! :D

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Armin,Feb 6 2005, 08:24 AM Wrote:Also, losing 80 pounds means that BEFORE the diet you were probably well in my league of overweight (aka dangerously so)
[right][snapback]67328[/snapback][/right]

Let's see, 269 pounds for a 20-year old, 1.86m male. I couldn't climb the stairs to my apartment without losing ALL my breath. The decision to go on a diet came when I went to see a doctor about a liposuction, and he told me that someone like me would require at least THREE separate operations and there was a good chance I wouldn't come out alive after all three. :ph34r: That was a pretty hard awakening call!

Now that you mention that diet coke is 99% water, does it mean that it is safe to say, forget about drinking water for a day or two in favor of diet coke? Basically, I ended up choosing the lesser of two evils: now I drink diet sodas like a beast instead of eating like one.
The gods made heavy metal and they saw that is was good
They said to play it louder than Hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die

- Manowar
Ashkael,Feb 7 2005, 03:25 AM Wrote:Let's see, 269 pounds for a 20-year old, 1.86m male.
[right][snapback]67409[/snapback][/right]
Hi!
That's not altogether too much! 269 pounds equals 121 kg. For a 1.86 m male, the ideal weight is 86 kg. I know a 1.92 m male who weighs 66 kg, and a 1.88 m male who already brings 160 kg on the scale...

So chin up! It could be way worse...

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Armin,Feb 4 2005, 02:54 PM Wrote:a few extras to add:

The 100% pure Orange juice actually is still pretty high in calories, simply for the high amount of sugar (in this case, mostly fructose, but the net calories are pretty much the same as sucrose or glucose). I switched to mineral water with the occasional orange or multifruit drink in between (no more than 2 glasses a day) and I use a brand that's 50% fruit and 50% water with nutrasweet. Still tastes fine, but has half the calories of plain 100% juice.
[right][snapback]67157[/snapback][/right]

I'm confused. I should eat a lot of fruit, but stay away from orange juice? How come?

Also, instead of eating fruit, can I put them all in a blender and drink it instead?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Feb 9 2005, Wrote:I'm confused. I should eat a lot of fruit, but stay away from orange juice? How come?

Also, instead of eating fruit, can I put them all in a blender and drink it instead?
[right][snapback]67663[/snapback][/right]
Hi!

It's not necessary to eat more fruit than is needed to meet one's need of vitamins. That would be 2 glasses (200ml) of good multivitamin juice per day. The more fruits you eat (after already satisfying your need), the more fructose you ingest. And that would be in the opposite direction of where you would want to go. In addition to this, drink at least 2 liters of any (non-alcoholic) liquid per day, and be sure to eat some dietary fibers to keep your stomach and intestines occupied.
As to what concerns your question: You can certainly do this. Then the juice would consist only of fresh ingredients and have more vitamins than commercial juices. Pay attention that you mix fruits with various vitamins, though.

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

[wcip]Angel,Feb 9 2005, Wrote:I'm confused. I should eat a lot of fruit, but stay away from orange juice? How come?

[right][snapback]67663[/snapback][/right]

It's more a matter of what you exchange for what...

It's better to eat fruit for a snack than chips, chocolate or popcorn

It's better to drink orange juice than coke

and of course it's better to drink water than drinking orange juice.

Always in regard of net calory input of course ;)

Hi,

In support of your statements:

About fifteen years or so ago I worked with a number of people that were in a large, long term (5 years, IIRC), research study on cholesterol conducted by the University of Washington. At that time I saw a preliminary report. The conclusions were that while diet and/or exercise would moderate cholesterol levels for a while, eventually (two years was about the norm) the level would return to approximately where it had been before. Most of the previous studies that showed improvement in levels with exercise or diet were too short. The body simply needed more time to catch up with the changing conditions.

I could not find a reference to the UW study using the limited resources of this computer, but perhaps I've given you enough info to track it down (I'm assuming, of course, that it was eventually published in an archival journal).

The best thing to do for cholesterol is to pick the right ancestors. Failing that, medication is probably the best bet and even that does not work for anyone.

Why is it that with the greatest medical and media communities in history, all we've seemed to do is exchange ignorance for misinformation in the general population? Just last week my doctor repeated that old crap about caffeine dehydration.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Occhidiangela,Feb 3 2005, 03:45 PM Wrote:If you lose inches, but gain a bit of weight, that means is that you are replacing fat with lean body mass, which is OK. I had gotten to 154, and with roughly the same workout plan and diet was starting to gain weight and lost the last inch from my waist. My fitness nutcase buddy explained to me what went into that when I discussed my puzzlement to him over that development.
[right][snapback]67096[/snapback][/right]
This is the sort of thing that happened to me my freshman and sophomore years of college. My freshman year I started running and working out a lot and dropped from 235 pounds down to 225 pounds. My 2nd year I kept up roughly the same regimine (though with slightly more weight lifting) and then rose up to 240 pounds, yet I was in significantly better shape than my freshman year!

I think those two years really showed me that how much you weigh often has little to do with what kind of shape that you're in.

This sort of thing was rehashed last year, too, when I dislocated my arm and couldn't work out for about 2 months. Over that period of time where I wasn't working out I actually LOST weight. :P
-TheDragoon