Peyton's Place
Quote:Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God
was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded
Colts flag in the window.  "This house is yours for eternity, Peyton," said
God.

"This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here."

Peyton felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house. On his way up the
porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a 3-story
mansion with a blue and red sidewalk, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an
enormous Patriots logo flag with the #12, and in every window, a Brady
Jersey.
Peyton looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I
have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I hold many NFL records, and I even
went to the Hall of Fame."

God said "So what's your point Peyton?"

"Well, why does Tom Brady get a better house than me?"

God chuckled, and said "Peyton, that's not Tom's house, it's mine."

I just now noticed nobody seems to mention football here , so I hope nobody minds me sharing this little gem :rolleyes:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,Feb 2 2005, 05:54 PM Wrote:I just now noticed nobody seems to mention football here , so I hope nobody minds me sharing this little gem    :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]66999[/snapback][/right]

You got a chuckle out of it from me. Thanks. :D Now that the Colts have been knocked out, I'm rooting for the Eagles. No, not because of TO, but despite him. ;)

One more thing - go tackleball! (Called tackleball because it stops the nonsense about which "football" you're talking about and everyone knows tackleball is all about the hits and tackles. ;) )
Intolerant monkey.
Ah, that's an oldie but goodie. Except everytime I've heard it, it's been Bo & Woody instead of Peyton & Tom.

I've made a conscious effort to stop using football references here, because nobody ever has a clue what I'm talking about. Actually, it seems that nobody has a clue what I'm talking about anyway, but the football references only make it worse!
Treesh,Feb 2 2005, 03:58 PM Wrote:One more thing - go tackleball!  (Called tackleball because it stops the nonsense about which "football" you're talking about and everyone knows tackleball is all about the hits and tackles. ;) )
[right][snapback]67000[/snapback][/right]

Tackleball... makes me think of Rugby for some reason. ;)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Feb 2 2005, 06:47 PM Wrote:Tackleball... makes me think of Rugby for some reason. ;)
[right][snapback]67004[/snapback][/right]
True, but people call rugby "rugby". :D This was suggested by a Swedish friend when we each got tired of asking which "football" we were talking about and we Americans were too tired of typing out "American Football" each time. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Nystul,Feb 2 2005, 06:41 PM Wrote:Ah, that's an oldie but goodie.  Except everytime I've heard it, it's been Bo & Woody instead of Peyton & Tom. 

I've made a conscious effort to stop using football references here, because nobody ever has a clue what I'm talking about.  Actually, it seems that nobody has a clue what I'm talking about anyway, but the football references only make it worse!
[right][snapback]67002[/snapback][/right]

I understand football references. As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I am going through a rough period. We endeavour to persevere.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 3 2005, 12:00 AM Wrote:I  understand football references.  As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I am going through a rough period.  We endeavour to persevere.
[right][snapback]67024[/snapback][/right]

I am a Buffalo Bills fan :(
DeeBye,Feb 2 2005, 10:45 PM Wrote:I am a Buffalo Bills fan  :(
[right][snapback]67026[/snapback][/right]

Say it ain't so DeeBye! After the Bills lost (again) in 1994, I put a curse on them never allowing them to even go back to the SuperBowl. I've finally lightened up on that restriction and will allow them to play in the 2008 SuperBowl so there is hope for you, but after going 4 times in a row and not winning (especially being absolutely stomped in 1993), I got tired of them getting there and not doing squat. Those SuperBowls were rather boring so I blamed the Bills. ;)

FWIW, I'm a Packers fan.†

*shoots daggers from her eyes at Occhi* ;)

Although now that we don't play the Cowboys at home constantly, I don't have nearly the amount of anger towards the Cowboys either.

† - For the AFC, I'm a Colts/Peyton Manning fan. Had to pick up an AFC team if I ever wanted to actually watch a game and be able to root for a team. If it's not the Rams playing, our fox station doesn't show football. They've shown infomercials instead of football before. So if they pull that, I just head over to one of the five million CBS stations we have and watch AFC football instead.

Edit: Can never remember what other network the games are shown on so I corrected that.
Intolerant monkey.
Occhidiangela,Feb 2 2005, 11:00 PM Wrote:I  understand football references.  As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I am going through a rough period.  We endeavour to persevere.

Well, at least you have glory days to look back on. As a Bengals fan, all I can say is "Gosh, we almost beat the Niners in a SuperBowl that one time... And we did have the greatest offensive lineman ever to play the game...."

I don't think football gets any bigger than in Ohio and Texas, though. *ducks*
Nystul,Feb 3 2005, 04:22 AM Wrote:I don't think football gets any bigger than in Ohio and Texas, though.  *ducks*
[right][snapback]67039[/snapback][/right]

While Florida and Pennsylvania may take umbrage at your observation, I tend to agree. It aint a sport here, High School Football, it is a fusion of religion and insanity, resulting in the glue that holds communities together.

As to Niners Bengals Bowls, two of the closest, hardest fought Super Bowls ever played (at a time when one sided mismatches were the rule) the goal line stand in the first one showed who was going to win, IMO. As to the second, a game that took about three quarters to get untracked, I am inclined to think that if Stanley Wilson had not freaked out the night before the game, Cincinatti offense would have had more punch, and Joe Montana's pass to John Taylor may not have been enough. That was a superb Bengals team the Boomer led to the Super Bowl.

Endeavour to persevere, amico mio, your day will come: just not with Akili Smith. :blink:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 3 2005, 09:01 AM Wrote:It aint a sport here, High School Football, it is a fusion of religion and insanity, resulting in the glue that  holds communities together.

Occhi
[right][snapback]67042[/snapback][/right]

Query for you, Occhi:

I am relying on comments made by my sister, some 15 years ago, when she had her son entering kindergarden in a community in Texas (Midland, IIRC). She claimed that there were parents who held their sons back a year before entering Grade 1, in aid of ensuring a larger/more mature boy for a better shot at a successful high school football career.

Since her son was born just before the cut-off time of September 1st for enrollement, this meant that her just turned 5-year old was in class with boys who were about to turn 6 and, in some cases, 7. At that age, there are significant differences in maturity, and her son was having a hard go of it in the peer relations department as a result - hence the comments.

Was this an exaggeration on my sister's part? Or is this practice a common one still?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Feb 3 2005, 08:20 AM Wrote:Query for you, Occhi:

I am relying on comments made by my sister, some 15 years ago, when she had her son entering kindergarden in a community in Texas (Midland, IIRC).  She claimed that there were parents who held their sons back a year before entering Grade 1, in aid of ensuring a larger/more mature boy for a better shot at a successful high school football career.

Since her son was born just before the cut-off time of September 1st for enrollement, this meant that her just turned 5-year old was in class with boys who were about to turn 6 and, in some cases, 7.  At that age, there are significant differences in maturity, and her son was having a hard go of it in the peer relations department as a result - hence the comments.

Was this an exaggeration on my sister's part?  Or is this practice a common one still?
[right][snapback]67047[/snapback][/right]

It was not uncommon then, and not just in Texas. I'd guess it still goes on. There is some evidence that Calallen High School, a local sholastic sports power house, still engages in that practice. I bow to the sovereignty of the parents to determine when their child is ready to enter public school. It is their call.

The lure of "free college" is a compelling incentive for parents of a child, who they think has athletic potential, to get an edge. Of course, the more people who do it, the less the edge, and the more disruptive that myopic practice is to other, more normal parts of the school system. I spent my entire school life a year younger than my peers, as I finished first and second grade in the same year. All it really meant was my time served in public schools was a year less. I learned how to adapt.

Silver lining. Since legend has it that "girls mature faster than boys do" it might be beneficial in some cases for some boys to start a year later . . . if you believe that legend.

Let parents make their own decisions, fully aware of the impact it has on their child. What seems to be happening with some of my neighbors is a complete opting out of the public school system via the home schooling path.

What does that do to peer interaction and social development?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 2 2005, 08:00 PM Wrote:I  understand football references.  As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I am going through a rough period.  We endeavour to persevere.

Occhi

*Jahcs contemplates secretly switching Occhi's brew for decaf as a punishment.* :shuriken:
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein