Changing account info in Windows XP
I bought myself a computer some time ago (really more than a year ago). It
has Windows XP (home) installed and would like to change the account used to
understand or the one created when installing windows. Since the computer
was one that is bought through the company I work at (basically that is the company buys it, then the employer lease it thorugh them and get a tax deduction on the price based on income tax, ends up really cheap in most cases), they installed windows in the shop BUT, they happened to use my
name for the account. I really don't like that and want to change it (it seems I can't just create a new admin acount and delete the old one either). So
basically, the account has my name, and for example the folder in "document
and settings" has my name. I can of course change the login name of the
account, but that will not change folder names and such. Basically I want to
remove references to my name in folders and various settings. In addition,
they also used the company's name in various places as the "company" that
one can fill in upon installation. I note that when I installed my own copy
of MS office since it already filled in suggested name and company info upon
installation. So I would also like to change such information about the user
from the account. Since it is a private computer with no relation to the
company, I don't like the company's name to appear in for example documents
or other places. So, anyone has some help, hints or ideas on how to make
such a change as I want safe from reinstalling everything?

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
You can make a new user name.

Go to Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->User Accounts

After looking through the menus I didn't see a way edit anything other than the name, but you can create a new account to be used for normal activity, and then when you need the admin account you can log into the one with your name. There may be a way I am unsure of though.
WWBBD?
Jarulf,Jan 31 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:I bought myself a computer some time ago (really more than a year ago). It
has Windows XP (home) installed and would like to change the account used to
understand or the one created when installing windows. Since the computer
was one that is bought through the company I work at (basically that is the company buys it, then the employer lease it thorugh them and get a tax deduction on the price based on income tax, ends up really cheap in most cases), they installed windows in the shop BUT, they happened to use my
name for the account. I really don't like that and want to change it (it seems I can't just create a new admin acount and delete the old one either). So
basically, the account has my name, and for example the folder in "document
and settings" has my name. I can of course change the login name of the
account, but that will not change folder names and such. Basically I want to
remove references to my name in folders and various settings. In addition,
they also used the company's name in various places as the "company" that
one can fill in upon installation. I note that when I installed my own copy
of MS office since it already filled in suggested name and company info upon
installation. So I would also like to change such information about the user
from the account. Since it is a private computer with no relation to the
company, I don't like the company's name to appear in for example documents
or other places. So, anyone has some help, hints or ideas on how to make
such a change as I want safe from reinstalling everything?
[right][snapback]66824[/snapback][/right]

If you want to remove references to yours and the companies name, it's a little involved but definitely possible.

First, do what the previous poster said and make a new account with the name you want. Be sure this account has full admin privledges, or you can make it a user account and just sign on with "admin" account to do what comes next.

Ok second, sign on with the account you don't like. Make a new folder on your c:\ drive called "backup" or something. Copy all your files out of my documents and what not into that folder.

Ok now log off that account and log into another admin account (either administrator or the new account you made if it is an admin). Go to control panel -> user accounts. Choose the account you want gone and delete it.

Now you have to cleanse the computer of references to that name and the company name. The first step is a file search. Go to start -> search (for files and folders). In the blank you should put JohnDoe*.* where johndoe is the username you want gone. Assuming you backed up everything important, delete anything it finds. Now you have to clear out your registry. Same deal -- go to start -> run and type regedit. First make a backup of your registry :) Very important step! Then after you back it up, just use edit or view->find (don't remember which menu it is under) and do a search for that username. Delete any hits you get -- if you feel uncomfortable deleting the keys, you can just edit the value of them and make them null ( "" instead of "johndoe" ). Repeat the search again for your company name, and this time be sure you edit the files to the new name you want to use for those registrations.

Ok, some files will have seperate registration stuff outside of the registry. For those, you can do a file content search (start -> search) for the company name and then replace it as you want, but you might just see if what you did already fixes things ok for you.

Hope that helps

Nebuul
I recently acquired a laptop from a relative. He properly formatted the drive, but had Windows XP reinstalled. I made an admin account for myself and deleted my relatives account... and that’s when the trouble began! For some reason I still don't understand, his account became a required system file for boot-up and when I deleted his account and restarted, a copy of his previous account appeared and that is what XP started in. I began deleting all references to this account in the registry and the laptop basically went downhill from there. Copies of all sorts of admin accounts were popping up under user names and NONE of them were showing up in USER ACCOUNTS in CONTROL PANEL! I basically just deleted the entire drive and reinstalled... Hope you have better luck B) .
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I don't have personal experience with this situation but from my reading it shows that XP is very tenacious with it's startup information. Copies of backups of backups get pulled from the ether of your harddrive whenever XP feels the whim to do so.

Mostly unrelated anecdote:

A friend of mine was using Windows 95 and started a disk cleanup under the DOS prompt. Forgeting to enter the correct directory he entered "deltree *.*" It completely wiped out his hard drive. Files, file system, everything. It was pretty fun going back into the BIOS and resetting a few things so he could reinstall a DOS OS and reformat the hard drive. Most of the time when we tried to do this on purpose the computer would uninstall some critical item too soon and leave a partially filled, but useless, hard drive behind.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Thanks for all info. Some follow up questions.

I currently have it so I don't have to log in when I start the computer, it is done automatically. Do I have to do anything to get the new account work that way?

There are a whole bunch of other folders and things, some from other programs in the documents and settings folder, any specific ones I should be aware of and need moving? (I will backup it all, it is some 1gb :) ).

What is the easiest/best way to backup my registry?

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Feb 4 2005, 04:49 AM Wrote:I currently have it so I don't have to log in when I start the computer, it is done automatically. Do I have to do anything to get the new account work that way?
[right][snapback]67131[/snapback][/right]

Be the only account available (other than admin) and don't password your username

Not a bad idea if you keep your computer room locked :D