Captain Jean Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise
I was sifting through my "Unsorted" bookmarks when I came across this gem.

[Image: picardswf.png]
"Incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic - it's quite hypnotic"

It was pretty popular about 6 months ago and I'm sure it was posted here, but it is entertaining enough that I thought we'd all have another look.

Since this post is about Star Trek, I might as well crank up the Geek Dial to 11 and poll everyone about what Star Trek televison series was the best.

My opinion, from first to worst:
  1. The Next Generation<>
  2. Deep Space Nine<>
  3. the original series<>
  4. Voyageur<>
  5. Enterprise<>
    [st]
DeeBye,Jan 29 2005, 03:14 AM Wrote:My opinion, from first to worst:

1. <>
  2. The Next Generation
    <>
  3. Deep Space Nine
    <>
  4. the original series
    <>
  5. Voyageur
    <>
  6. Enterprise
    <>
    [st]
    [right][snapback]66654[/snapback][/right]

Bah!
  1. The Original Star Trek<>
  2. The Next Generation<>
  3. Deep Space Nine<>
  4. Voyageur<>
  5. Enterprise<>
    [st]
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
IMO:

1. The Next Generation
2. The Original Star Trek
3. Voyageur
4. Enterprise
5. Deep Space Nine

You can't discount the movies however. The Wrath of Khan has undeniably one of the best star-ship battles ever!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

1. <>
  2. The Next Generation
    <>
  3. Deep Space Nine
    <>
  4. the original series
    <>
  5. Voyager
    <>
  6. Enterprise
    <>
    [st]

Quoted for Agreement
DeeBye,Jan 29 2005, 01:14 AM Wrote:I was sifting through my "Unsorted" bookmarks when I came across this gem.

[Image: picardswf.png]
"Incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic - it's quite hypnotic"

It was pretty popular about 6 months ago and I'm sure it was posted here, but it is entertaining enough that I thought we'd all have another look.

Since this post is about Star Trek, I might as well crank up the Geek Dial to 11 and poll everyone about what Star Trek televison series was the best.

1. <>
  2. The Next Generation
    <>
  3. Deep Space Nine
    <>
  4. the original series
    <>
  5. Voyageur
    <>
  6. Enterprise
    <>
    [st]

IMO:

The Original Series Stood on its own.
Next Generation stood on its own as well.
Movies . . . OK.

The rest of that tripe was "pounding a good idea into dust." However, with the advent of cable, all manner of stuff sees airtime that could not have under the three network and PBS regime. Some better, some worse.

It's a wash. Killing Tana Dar was . . . criminal. :P

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Same as DeeBye, but I'd switch Voyager and Enterprise. I haven't watched that much of either series, but it seems to me that Voyager had more moments that were just plain awful. (Although much the same could be said about the entire first two seasons of TNG.)

And while I'd probably put the original series in the middle like he did, I'd be tempted to move it to the top or the bottom of the list depending on my mood. It's difficult for me to judge it in this comparison since it was created in a completely different (television) era. I don't think there can be any doubt it's the most groundbreaking and ambitious of the five.
DeeBye,Jan 28 2005, 11:14 PM Wrote:Since this post is about Star Trek, I might as well crank up the Geek Dial to 11 and poll everyone about what Star Trek televison series was the best.

1. <>
  2. The Next Generation
    <>
  3. Deep Space Nine
    <>
  4. the original series
    <>
  5. Voyageur
    <>
  6. Enterprise
    <>
    [st]

Pretty much agree. I haven't watched that stuff in so long though. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)

1. <>
  2. The Next Generation

<>
  3. Deep Space Nine

<>
  4. the original series

<>
  5. Voyageur

<>
  6. Enterprise

<>
    [st]

1. Deep Space Nine<>
  2. Voyager (AMERICAN SPELLING MUAHAHAH)<>
  3. The Next Generation<>
  4. the original series (never watched it, actually, so discard if you must)<>
  5. Enterprise (WorstShowEver)<>
    [st]

An interesting note is that I watched all of DS9 in order, on DVD with no commercials. Because of this (or maybe not :unsure: ) I thought is was some of the best television I've ever seen.
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
DeeBye,Jan 29 2005, 02:14 AM Wrote:My opinion, from first to worst:

1. <>
  2. The Next Generation
    <>
  3. Deep Space Nine
    <>
  4. the original series
    <>
  5. Voyageur
    <>
  6. Enterprise
    <>
    [st]

Disagree.

1 - Movies (all but 1 & 5, but even those had their moments)
2 - The Original Series
3 - Deep Space Nine
4 - Next Generation
5 - Voyager

I have yet to see Enterprise, but what I've heard about it didn't sound promising.

Kirk could kick all the other captain's butts all at once. OK, maybe not Sisco, but Picard and Janeway together wouldn't even work up a sweat. :shuriken:

Also, Chekov rules. :wub:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Dozer,Jan 29 2005, 09:06 PM Wrote:An interesting note is that I watched all of DS9 in order, on DVD with no commercials. Because of this (or maybe not&nbsp; :unsure: ) I thought is was some of the best television I've ever seen.
[right][snapback]66700[/snapback][/right]

DS9 was a good show, but if you really want to see the best coherent overarching plot in television, pick up some Babylon 5. Best scifi ever. :wub:

Also, the first two season of Sliders were awesome, as well as what was filmed of Kindred: The Embraced (I want more than 6 episodes damnit! :angry: )
Occhidiangela,Jan 29 2005, 09:19 PM Wrote:It's a wash.&nbsp; Killing Tana Dar was . . . criminal.&nbsp; :P
[right][snapback]66696[/snapback][/right]

Do you mean Tasha Yar?
WarLocke,Jan 29 2005, 11:09 PM Wrote:Also, the first two season of Sliders were awesome, as well as what was filmed of Kindred: The Embraced (I want more than 6 episodes damnit!&nbsp; :angry: )
[right][snapback]66702[/snapback][/right]

Kindred was a really great show. I was really :angry: when they cancelled it.
WarLocke,Jan 29 2005, 11:09 PM Wrote:DS9 was a good show, but if you really want to see the best coherent overarching plot in television, pick up some Babylon 5.&nbsp; Best scifi ever.&nbsp; :wub:

Also, the first two season of Sliders were awesome, as well as what was filmed of Kindred: The Embraced (I want more than 6 episodes damnit!&nbsp; :angry: )
[right][snapback]66702[/snapback][/right]

On a related note, has anyone been watching Battlestar:Galactica? The pilot four hours or so was very promising, but it's turned into a space soap opera. I'll keep watching, though. :wacko:
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Dozer,Jan 30 2005, 12:43 AM Wrote:On a related note, has anyone been watching Battlestar:Galactica? The pilot four hours or so was very promising, but it's turned into a space soap opera. I'll keep watching, though.&nbsp; :wacko:
[right][snapback]66711[/snapback][/right]

I caught last night's episode (only one I've seen besides the miniseries) and I have to say that I like it. It is a bit sooap opera-y, but that's better than something like TNG, where everyone always got along.

In fact, Galactica kind of reminds me of Space: Above And Beyond, in the way that it explores relationships between people in the military.

(Space was a great show too - Stay with the dead!)
MEAT,Jan 29 2005, 01:44 AM Wrote:IMO:

1. The Next Generation
2. The Original Star Trek
3. Voyageur
4. Enterprise
5. Deep Space Nine

You can't discount the movies however.&nbsp; The Wrath of Khan has undeniably one of the best star-ship battles ever!
[right][snapback]66661[/snapback][/right]

Almost with you on that one Meat.

1. TNG
2. Original
3. Voyager
4. DS9
5. Enterprise

Babylon 5 and the first season of Sliders were very enjoyable. The pilot for the New Battlestar was also pretty good.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Occhidiangela,Jan 29 2005, 07:19 PM Wrote:Killing Tana Dar was . . . criminal.&nbsp; :P
[right][snapback]66696[/snapback][/right]
DeeBye,Jan 29 2005, 09:42 PM Wrote:Do you mean Tasha Yar?
[right][snapback]66704[/snapback][/right]
If that wasn't what he meant, it should have been! That had to be the worst assault on a loyal fandom ever seen on TV. Geez, Occhi, thanks for dredging that back up. Just as I had finally gone through a day without thinking "Why, oh why, did they have to kill Tasha?" Now I'm gonna have to go curl up in a ball until I can get in to see my shrink to start over on my years of therapy. :P
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
DeeBye,Jan 29 2005, 08:14 PM Wrote:Since this post is about Star Trek, I might as well crank up the Geek Dial to 11 and poll everyone about what Star Trek televison series was the best.

1. Voyageur - Brilliant show. Poor Ambassador Neelix.
    the original series - Not bad, but not addictive.
    Deep Space Nine - Luke warm. The whole Bajoran thing was dull.
    The Next Generation - Never got into it
    Enterprise - Never seen it. Sounds like that is a good thing :P<>
    [st]
I promote DS9 because (IMO) it was the last series that Gene himself was involved with (at least the early stages) and held in some part to his vision. It pushed the envelope with its effects work, the first television same-sex kiss, and the first Trek arcs. Yeah, B5 was one big arc, but the Dominion War was the first time plot threads continued past three episodes.

Star Trek has slowly grown more conservative as the staff changes. I personally dislike Brannon Braga because he's used his position as exec producer on Enterprise to quash potential scripts containing same-sex couples and relationships. (He did the same thing with First Contact; in the early versions of the script, Lt. Hawk had a partner and his Borgization was more of an issue because of that.)

The video is cute.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Jan 31 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:Yeah, B5 was one big arc, but the Dominion War was the first time plot threads continued past three episodes.
[right][snapback]66780[/snapback][/right]

Maybe, but the War arc had battles in which dozens of Starfleet ships could be seen onscreen, only a few years after most of the fleet was destroyed at Wolf 359. That's a really big continuity blunder right there. :whistling:
DeeBye,Jan 29 2005, 09:42 PM Wrote:Do you mean Tasha Yar?
[right][snapback]66704[/snapback][/right]

DOH! That's what I get for typing before the coffee hits. My error.

I am sorry, Wharf, as well done as he was, just did not have the style of the original security officer.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete