Combat strategies
I was just fighting an adult Plainstrider with my Tauren hunter and it occured to me that I don't reallly have any strategy when it comes to melee fighting. This is what I do with my lev 9 hunter:
I open fire at max range with my gun and usually end up with 2 or 3 shots off before the monster is too close. Then I basically just stand toe to toe and hack away, using Raptor Strike as soon as it is available, and just hope for the best.
I don't try to move around at all, jump out of the way or anything like that, and I was wondering if other people do, are the mechanics of this game geared toward jumping out of the way at the right moment then closing back in for another strike?

Personally, those are the exact tactics I used and still use to this day with my 47 Hunter. Since the game mechanics aren't geared towards jumping out of the way (creatures tend to still hit from a short distance, it's not a bad strategy.

Here is my basic strategy, before getting Aimed Shot:

Aspect of the Hawk -> Hunter's Mark -> Concussive Shot -> Send Pet after Target -> Serpent Sting -> Keep shooting until the target closes in, then Raptor Strike/Attack

At some point, when you get Aimed Shot, throw that in before concussive shot, and use traps before shooting if you'd rather fight in close combat (that way the target runs through the trap to get to you)

It still hasn't failed me yet, so long as you keep an eye on your pet's health and your own.
Pesmerga,Jan 27 2005, 05:52 PM Wrote:Personally, those are the exact tactics I used and still use to this day with my 47 Hunter.  Since the game mechanics aren't geared towards jumping out of the way (creatures tend to still hit from a short distance, it's not a bad strategy.

Here is my basic strategy, before getting Aimed Shot:

Aspect of the Hawk -> Hunter's Mark -> Concussive Shot -> Send Pet after Target -> Serpent Sting -> Keep shooting until the target closes in, then Raptor Strike/Attack

At some point, when you get Aimed Shot, throw that in before concussive shot, and use traps before shooting if you'd rather fight in close combat (that way the target runs through the trap to get to you)

It still hasn't failed me yet, so long as you keep an eye on your pet's health and your own.
[right][snapback]66522[/snapback][/right]
Thanks very much,