Tales of the PvP server!
Cryptic,Jan 27 2005, 10:07 PM Wrote:Having played both sides, I would recommend PvP to all.  It's a true test of skill against thinking, unpredictable opponents, and a welcome breath of fresh air after hours of questing and grinding.  But I don't recommend it on PvP servers - the "courageous" people there are 90% gankers or zergs.  At least on PvE you can have some control over what kind of situations you get yourself into, and then get out of them once you've had enough.
My current main is lvl 28 undead mage who in 24-28 level range did quests in Hillsbrad Fields and the area between it and Tarren Mill. If you don't know it there, this is THE gankfest area, because while quests for horde are there in lvl 20-28 range, there's crossing lvl 30-45 alliance to Alterac mountains. I was usualy dead in 2-3 whatever attacks they launch at me.

BUT, I was watching my back well, and I can tell you that only about 10-20% people I have actually seen decided to go after me (and 50% rogues, looks like it's the mentality). Truth is, when there's a lot of traffic, you won't do much work on your quests. In that case, grouping (2-3 ppl) is the way to go. If they want to graygank, you can zerg them ;) .

So far, I'm finding it more about clenching my teeth and doing it than some you-have-chance-if-you're-good. Now I'm for a while to Ashenvale, so I'll see.
Tharn,Jan 31 2005, 11:33 AM Wrote:So far, I'm finding it more about clenching my teeth and doing it than some you-have-chance-if-you're-good. Now I'm for a while to Ashenvale, so I'll see.

There's also 1k Needles and western Stonetalon to look at.
Hillsbrad Foothills is my new favorite area.

After becoming bored with my ability to get lost in Thousand Needles no matter where I am, or what land marks I had on hand, I asked my friend Snow (Samicurr, Humane, Lam, Ryan, I dunno--he changes screen names too often) what kind of interesting ares I could go to. He said that the next interesting area would be Stranglethorn Vale, but that, at level 28, I was just a bit too low for it. Sad.

So Hillsbrad foothills was suggested, although it seems more the level of Stonetalon or Ashenvale, both of which I've hung around a bit. But it's in the Eastern Kindgoms--a place I hadn't been in a while--and it could be fun to hang around with the undead for a while, so I headed that way.

So I took the zeppelin to Undercity, and a bat to Sepulchre, ran my way to Hillsbrad, and picked up a quest to head into Tarren Mills. Sure, okay. Tarren Mills is the horde town in there, I figured, and I was right.

I got there with no real problem, picked up a few quests--admittedly a few levels beneath me--and started taking out bears and cats and such. I got ganked a couple of times up till then, so I had Humanoid Tracking going at all times, since the monsters in there are such pansies. And, well, I can handle a couple of deaths, as long as it's not again and again and again and again and again, in the same place, one after another, with no chance to escape or defend myself (which is quite rare).

Not long after I start questing, I meet an old friend from Ashenvale--a human mage named Yuber. He was three levels lower then, and one level higher than me, but he attacked a couple of times, and I killed him a couple of times. Nothing much to it--I, having uninterruptable ranged attacks, just out-damaged him.

Well, this time around he's level 30, and I'm 28. Same as before. I target, sic my pet, mark, hit serpent sting and calmly spam Arcane Shot. As he starts to run off, I hit aspect of the cheetah, hit num-lock for auto-run, gain on him a bit, stop, arcane, take a few shots. Easy stuff. He dies.

Notice that I am, as usual, not the aggressor here. I tend to let Alliance players go their own way, as long as they don't attack me.

Not two minutes later, he comes back. Manages to attack while I was typing out a message, so, since I don't know a way to cancel a message without either finishing it and sending, or back-spacing, he gets the drop on me--a single fireball in the time I take to backspace. After that? Same as last time. Except this time when he's low on health, instead of just running, he hits mana shield, blinks once, and runs. Which didn't do anything at all. Really, what's the point of blink, if after you blink, you're still targetted, and you still don't have the hp to get away? Mana shield didn't hold up. He died.

M'kay. Back to my bears.

... nope, he's coming back. And I guarantee you it wasn't some crazy coincidental corpse camping thing, where I just happened to be standing on his corpse, and 'defending myself' when he revived--I always waited for him to actually start an attack before unleashing on him.

So, same as last time, except that for some reason he decided to blast Balio (my bear) instead of me, as I pummel him to death.

So now I get a few minutes of peace. Until Tuendas, I believe he was named, a level 23 dwarf paladin, passed by. I'm a peaceful kind of guy. I wave, let him go on his way... he attacks. Bah. I stand there and watch Balio hit him a few times, at which point he freaks out and runs off.

So I go back on my way. ... until Yuber appears again. I wail on him a little bit, he runs off, Tuendas appears, I go all, "Whoa, two's not cool," and let Yuber go. So the two group together to attack me. Bah, humbug. I try to run, but my feet fail me. Or, more specifically, my ability to withstand the levl 38 paladin who jumps out of nowhere to help them fails me. Death.

I run back, ressurect, and Yuber's there waiting for me to come back in a weakened state. Carp. I figure it'd be more fun to mess with his head than to freak out, so I wave at him, lick him, and start dancing before he kills me.

So I called in some support. Apparently Hillsbrad is pretty heavy with the Alliance, so the people there are used to helping people dislodge corpse campers. I res, hit 'im with everything I've got, and a nearby rogue jumps him from behind. Bye bye, Yuber.

Aaah, peace at last, peace at last. Until a level 33 human mage whose name I didn't catch pulled a Yuber. Whoops. But, the one mistake, she actually tried to spam fireballs with me and Balio hitting her at once. :( Got two off. One was a critical for more damage than a crit from one of my aimed shots. So it actually ended up pretty close.

For the closing battle of the night, I hear over Local Defense that a level 22 rogue was getting corpse camped by a 'level 30 human mage.' Yuber and his little 'being a jackass' games. So I head the direction stated, and see Yuber ripping a level 22 undead rogue apart. I mark, he goes, "HOLY CRAP NO" and tries to run, but fails. s'what he gets, I guess.

In closing, I really didn't get much done around Hillsbrad; I didn't gain much experience, and I didn't get anything in the way of useful items. But it was about an hour and a half of defending myself and my allies against what I could reliably call a villian. And I guarantee you I made a hero out of myself in the eyes of some of the lower level players around there, what with all the whispers I got thanking me for the help. :D

It was fun.
Bob the Beholder,Feb 4 2005, 12:02 AM Wrote:Not two minutes later, he comes back.  Manages to attack while I was typing out a message, so, since I don't know a way to cancel a message without either finishing it and sending, or back-spacing, he gets the drop on me--a single fireball in the time I take to backspace. 

Just hit the Esc key.