What Sorc build for PvM
Hydra does require a slightly different mindset than Meteor or Fireball. Instead of spamming FB or dropping Meteors on anything that moves, Hydra does best when combined with patience. It spreads its damage over numerous small shots rather than one large blast. This means that you will kill a bit slower with this skill. On the plus side, setting up Hydras while running around dodging ranged attacks has gotten me through numerous battles almost completely unscathed, even against the infamous Black Souls. And that was without a merc handy.

The Hydra/Orb sorc's game plan is generally to chill the enemies with an Orb, cast a few Hydras to pepper the opposition, then switch back to Orb and unload as fast as the spell timer will let you. Hydras can also be used to scout, by casting near the edge of the screen where you think enemies might be lurking (just about anywhere, really).

If Hydra just doesn't do it for you, you might be able to switch back to building up Fireball (depending on how many points you've got in each skill) and just use the low-level Hydra you have for the aforementioned scouting trick. Sounds to me like you've been mostly pumping Orb, so this might work out.
hat was my thinking, use hydra in a scouting manner and at known doors. I imagine i could beused for Lord Dewhatever, where you could trip the seal and come around the corner and cast it at the top of the alley.

Then FO anything that comes through. I just have not needed it yet. I intend to max FO, then Fire Master. Fire master as it helps FB and Hydra.
Then Cold Master. Probably won't have many points after that.
If you're planning to use Fireball as a major skill, it needs synergy investment as well as mastery. You could take some of those points out of Cold Mastery, as its effect per point is tiny after the first level.

Keep in mind that the minions tagging along with Lord De Seis are fire-immune in NM and Hell.
It turns out that I did not use hydra at all. I just rolled out the OB and such with FO. Diablo was a laugh as well. I was level 60 when I got to him and he was turning blue from my spamming of FO and very sluggish. For sure the easiet Diablo kill in NM for me of any of my characters.
PvM????

what is it??
*hi~!I am John. 21years old. I am a chinese. creay about Diablo2!
my yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*hallo. Ich bin John. 21jahr alt. Ich bin ein Chinese.
Meine yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*hola!Soy John.Soy chino.
esto es mi yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*大家好!我叫林洵。中国人,21岁。是暗黑破坏神的忠实玩家。
我的雅虎:diablo_john11。我的QQ:408687898
*お早うございます!私は林询と申します!中国人です。。。二十一歲です!
私の雅虎:diablo_john11 私のQQ:408687898(中国地区限り)
another opinpion......

Fire/cold is also my usual build; 20 points in Frozen Orb and 20 points in fire wall. Lightning is not powerful....I always distribute the points like this:

20 Orb
1+ Cold Mastery
1 +Warmth
1+ Static Field
1 +Teleport
1+enegy sheild
20 fire wall (as this skill grows ,,,when this skill lv. reached 26 lv. it will course 5800 or more fire damage,and something skill lv. should be plus by Ur item)
20+fire Mastery
*hi~!I am John. 21years old. I am a chinese. creay about Diablo2!
my yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*hallo. Ich bin John. 21jahr alt. Ich bin ein Chinese.
Meine yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*hola!Soy John.Soy chino.
esto es mi yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*大家好!我叫林洵。中国人,21岁。是暗黑破坏神的忠实玩家。
我的雅虎:diablo_john11。我的QQ:408687898
*お早うございます!私は林询と申します!中国人です。。。二十一歲です!
私の雅虎:diablo_john11 私のQQ:408687898(中国地区限り)
I saw that fire wall can do a lot of damage, but I was not too sure about its value. It requires the monster be in the wall. If they are moving around or in the open, they can largely avoid it.

Hydra was useful for me in Act V in those caves. I tossed them up as a scout and if they started firing, I knew something was there. Then I spammed a few more. This worked against minions as well, except for Lister, he was fire and cold immune in NM.

I mainly hit him with telekin and healing of my merc. I need to find a lighting item as a backup. I had one, but dumped it.
ICanChangTheWorLd,Feb 16 2005, 11:31 PM Wrote:PvM????

what is it??
[right][snapback]68271[/snapback][/right]

PvM = Player vs Monster

PvP = Player vs Player

OK. I seem to be having more than my fair share of trouble in Hell. As long as I do not run into Cold immunes, I am fine, but those monsters are very hard, especially if they are fast.

Fire damage is not high enough to take them down quickly. Fire and Cold immunes seem to be rather common and that is a nightmare. The small item boost for CL is not enough to kill them fast.

Would I have been better off with FO and CL in hell? Is there some technique that I am not using for Hydra + FO Sorc?

Hydra is not effective as I have to running around like crazy and drop one when I can and keep running. This probably means I am not getting many hits from the spell. I try to group the hydras and run in a circle around them, so they can get in shots.

Of course by this time the merc is dead.

Hydra 10
Fire Master 20
Fire Ball 9

I am not sure how many +skills I have.

FO is max and I have 11 in Cold Master. None in Meteor. I have had items giving it, not sure if I currently have it or not. I did not like it much as those monsters do not stand still waiting for you to hit them.
vmxa,Feb 24 2005, 12:04 PM Wrote:OK. I seem to be having more than my fair share of trouble in Hell. As long as I do not run into Cold immunes, I am fine, but those monsters are very hard, especially if they are fast.

Fire damage is not high enough to take them down quickly. Fire and Cold immunes seem to be rather common and that is a nightmare. The small item boost for CL is not enough to kill them fast.

Would I have been better off with FO and CL in hell? Is there some technique that I am not using for Hydra + FO Sorc?

Hydra is not effective as I have to running around like crazy and drop one when I can and keep running. This probably means I am not getting many hits from the spell. I try to group the hydras and run in a circle around them, so they can get in shots.

Of course by this time the merc is dead.

Hydra 10
Fire Master 20
Fire Ball 9

I am not sure how many +skills I have.

FO is max and I have 11 in Cold Master. None in Meteor. I have had items giving it, not sure if I currently have it or not. I did not like it much as those monsters do not stand still waiting for you to hit them.
[right][snapback]68903[/snapback][/right]
A few suggestions on your merc. I take it you have a prayer merc, so he will be healing you and himself much faster. Try insight if you are on the realms, it inceases your mana (you can teleport away without having to constantly drink pots) and it doubles the rate at which prayer heals you (meditation gets prayer synergy per level). Another idea is holy freeze for the cold immunes. If you can get 63% faster cast, you can cast at 9 frames, great for telekinesis and fireball. For example, Lister is cold/fire immune. Kill minions, and then take on lister. Make sure your merc is alive with holy freeze on (kelpie snare might work too). start telekinesising lister. He should get semi-stun locked and VERY slow due to holy freeze. Use static to its fullest!

Also, there are Barb mercs. They are TANKS. If you can give him an honor colosus sword with a life leech helm (craft one) and some high defense armor, he will whoop. As always, eth is good.

Trouble with the cold immunes? What about an act 3 merc? Spirit crystal sword will help a ton, as well as skin of the vipermagi. FCR items with + skills are the key here, and your merc will be doing quite a bit of lightning damage. Only problem is now you dont have a tank.

USE TELEPORT! Gather the monsters in a group and keep them in that group by teleporting around and cast hydras in the middle of the group. If you have great difficulty with killing them, consider going back and gaining some levels for your merc and yourself.

Fcr is very powerful when you use fireball, so I suggest you use it in conjunction with orb and hydra.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Feb 24 2005, 09:46 AM Wrote:A few suggestions on your merc.  I take it you have a prayer merc, so he will be healing you and himself much faster.  Try insight if you are on the realms, it inceases your mana (you can teleport away without having to constantly drink pots) and it doubles the rate at which prayer heals you (meditation gets prayer synergy per level).  Another idea is holy freeze for the cold immunes.  If you can get 63% faster cast, you can cast at 9 frames, great for telekinesis and fireball.  For example, Lister is cold/fire immune.  Kill minions, and then take on lister.  Make sure your merc is alive with holy freeze on (kelpie snare might work too).  start telekinesising lister.  He should get semi-stun locked and VERY slow due to holy freeze.  Use static to its fullest!

Also, there are Barb mercs.  They are TANKS.  If you can give him an honor colosus sword with a life leech helm (craft one) and some high defense armor, he will whoop.  As always, eth is good.

Trouble with the cold immunes?  What about an act 3 merc?  Spirit crystal sword will help a ton, as well as skin of the vipermagi.  FCR items with + skills are the key here, and your merc will be doing quite a bit of lightning damage.  Only problem is now you dont have a tank.

USE TELEPORT!  Gather the monsters in a group and keep them in that group by teleporting around and cast hydras in the middle of the group.  If you have great difficulty with killing them, consider going back and gaining some levels for your merc and yourself.

Fcr is very powerful when you use fireball, so I suggest you use it in conjunction with orb and hydra.
[right][snapback]68906[/snapback][/right]

I am using a HF merc, it is around level 75. I did use TeleK on Lister in NM while the merc did the killing and I would sneak in a CL now and then.

This is an SP game so I am not going to have any super gear. I will try to use the teleport idea, but the monsters are so fast, otherwise I can kill them.
FCR is hard to come by so far.
vmxa,Feb 24 2005, 08:33 PM Wrote:I am using a HF merc, it is around level 75. I did use TeleK on Lister in NM while the merc did the killing and I would sneak in a CL now and then.

This is an SP game so I am not going to have any super gear. I will try to use the teleport idea, but the monsters are so fast, otherwise I can kill them.
FCR is hard to come by so far.
[right][snapback]68954[/snapback][/right]
Wand of the magus--20%
Ring of the apprentice--10% x2
Crafted caster ammy--1-20%
If you played realms, spirit sword, but looks like thats out for a while.
circlet of the magus--20%
Spectral Shard--50% (and 10 all res and 50 mana, very good)
Wizardspike--50% (even better)
Wall of the Eyeless--20%
Lidless Wall--20%
Skin of the Vipermagi--30%
Que-Heagan's Wisdom--20%
Arachnid Mesh--20%
Magefist--20%

Obviously, some of these are out of your league unless you go around looking for them. Arachnid mesh is not hard to find if you search meph, or mf in the pit/mausoleum. Spectral Shard is relatively easy to find, and you can buy a wand of the magus if needed, but an orb is better. Magefists are incredibly powerful, and I suggest you try looking for them, there is very little better for sorcs. The two shields are sometimes hard to come by, but should be attainable as well, but lack in defensive mods. Ultimately, I suggest an ammy ~15, ring 10, circlet 20, wand/orb 20. 65 cast brings you up to 9 frames, and you will be in business. Gamble for circlets and/or rings, save your chipped gems to reroll high qlvl orbs.

All of these items can be found in Nightmare cows (except for arachnid). Shakos are found there too, but they are at the bottom of the list... Players 8, as always, will help you find better items.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
A couple of comments and questions.

EDIT: Whoops, I gooned up the tags. Sorry. :(

Quote:A few suggestions on your merc.  I take it you have a prayer merc, so he will be healing you and himself much faster.  Try insight if you are on the realms, it inceases your mana (you can teleport away without having to constantly drink pots) and it doubles the rate at which prayer heals you (meditation gets prayer synergy per level).

The Insight Rune Word in a four socketed pole arm is indeed a remarkable Mana machine. I was unaware that the Merc's prayer synergy worked with Insight. My Assassin's Defiance merc has an Insight Bec. I think I will keep it that way. I'd rather the Merc not take damage, where possible, than regen it quickly. Yes, lots of monsters seem to be ITD, so be it. YMMV. SInce the Sorc can teleport a merc out of a death blow by keeping an eye on his life bar and how swarmed he is, I'd say your advice is excellent. I may switch to prayer for my Sorceresses Merc, though, just have to find a few more runes and look for a four socketed ethereal pole arm . . . :D

My experience is that when one finds a nice Ethereal Armor for a Defiance Merc, armor with good Extra Def mods, Defiance Mercs get big DR and decent "not be hit" values. :whistling:

Quote:Another idea is holy freeze for the cold immunes.  If you can get 63% faster cast, you can cast at 9 frames, great for telekinesis and fireball.  For example, Lister is cold/fire immune.  Kill minions, and then take on lister.  Make sure your merc is alive with holy freeze on (kelpie snare might work too).  start telekinesising lister.  He should get semi-stun locked and VERY slow due to holy freeze.  Use static to its fullest!

Kelpie Snare is a particularly nice weapons, but not everyone finds one. It slows down end of act bosses quite nicely. Aren't the Minotaurs in Hell WSK level 3 and Throne room immune to Holy Freeze, or is it just cold they are immune to? Have not been there lately with an HF Merc, can't remember.

Quote:Also, there are Barb mercs.  They are TANKS.  If you can give him an honor colosus sword with a life leech helm (craft one) and some high defense armor, he will whoop.  As always, eth is good.

For a sorceress who can teleport out of a mess, yes. For other chars, I have found Barb Mercs to be a bit equipment dependent, and easily whacked. They really like to charge into crowds.

Quote:Trouble with the cold immunes?  What about an act 3 merc?  Spirit crystal sword will help a ton, as well as skin of the vipermagi.  FCR items with + skills are the key here, and your merc will be doing quite a bit of lightning damage.  Only problem is now you dont have a tank.

Yes indeed. With teleport, and a decent connection or an SP game, your suggestion looks to me like a lot of fun. Fill the screen with spells! :w00t:

Quote:USE TELEPORT!  Gather the monsters in a group and keep them in that group by teleporting around and cast hydras in the middle of the group.  If you have great difficulty with killing them, consider going back and gaining some levels for your merc and yourself.

Telekill, the old Diablo I warrior tactic, can be sorta replicated if you get a Barb or Act II Merc and teleport next to a monster. The Merc tends to immediately schwack him. Teleport away before the swarm arrives. Rinse and repeat.

Quote:Fcr is very powerful when you use fireball, so I suggest you use it in conjunction with orb and hydra.

Ah yes, the revival of the "tweaker" sorceress. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 25 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:Ah yes, the revival of the "tweaker" sorceress.  :D
[right][snapback]69022[/snapback][/right]
My newest sorc (level 63) is all about fcr and mana regen. I got her with spectral shard, x2 apprentice jewelry, Que-Heagan's, and circlet of the magus (ethereal :( ) for a whopping 110 fcr. With my merc's insight, its HARD to run out of mana, even harder to die (hes a prayer). Of course, she hasn't killed baal for the quest yet, so thats why everything is so easy, but in duels against fully "nigmaed" necromancers, I did surprisingly well. And only 300 life!
Quote: I was unaware that the Merc's prayer synergy worked with Insight
I had no idea either until I noticed that I was being healed even without prayer on. I figured that his aura simply worked because any aura was on. It wasn't until I payed attention to the numbers that I noticed I got extra bonuses with prayer on. Another disadvantage is meditation does not work on minions, so only characters will get the double heal bonus. It also leads me to believe that the marrowwalk bug might work on mercs (namely fire mercs), since they can use swords with level 6 charges of firebolt.