Dragons, oh my!
So I was going to post this in the "Interesting Screenshots" thread, but then the story became a bit long, and frankly I'm curious about the other dragons in World of Warcraft. Previously, I had only encountered some minor little sweet dragon fairy thingies that weren't even aggressive, quite the step to the ominous tales of Onyxia. So if you have any tales concerning dragons to share, feel free to do so.

I was exploring through Ashenvale with my Troll Warrior, when I happened upon a small backwater area. I happily stumbled through there going "A level 26 bear, a level 29 spider, another level 29 spider, three level ?? Elite dragonkin, a lev... what the...?!" Unfortunately the Dragonkin Warders had, next to their aggro radius which stretches into the Dustwallow Marshes, the same idea about me, and one well-aimed shot ended the life of my poor curious troll. Over 1200 damage a shot, clearly this was an interesting area!

I returned and decided to scout the area with my ghost, stumbling on a big Elven stairs, with a portal on top of it. Of course, I had to return for a screenshot in full technicolor. I grabbed my corpse, found out that the above mention of aggro radius is not exaggerated as the Warders insta-shot me from 500 yards. A short corpse retrieval later, and I pondered whether I should leave. Encouraged by some of the folks in the general chat channel who I had been keeping up to date on the presence of dragons in Ashenvale, and my own curiosity, I went back and managed to sneak in past the Warders, along the cliff side.

After the game decided to give me a heart attack with some frightful music featuring sudden explosions of sound while I was trying not to get sniped and basically just running for my life, I managed to find a relative safe-spot, when I saw an actual dragon appear. Phantim, level skull Elite. As it turned towards me, I saw a green bolt coming in, my life counter go to 51 hit points, and after informing the other people that Warders do indeed see across a gazillion yards, but can do as little damage as 1150 per shot, I returned and resurrected in the hills. I was pretty much out of sight there, and could take a look at the temple like building, which was a pretty good view in itself.

I noticed that the path to the temple was relatively clear. The Warders, despite having the ability to see across star systems, were pretty far off to the left, the Phantim of the Night Elf Opera was out of sight somewhere to the right, as well as another group of Warders. First, however, I wanted to know if I could get out of there. Fortunately, climbing across the hills was very easy here, so I pondered in public what I should do. Although the sensible suggestion of "run" did come in, someone suggested that the quest for the screenshot of the portal up close in technicolor was more important, to which I agreed.

I closed my eyes, had another few nervous breakdowns due to the music, grabbed my self-made Iron Green Pants, and made the run. I expected to get gunned down by Warders from another galaxy every moment, but wonder above wonder, I made it to the temple itself. Could it be this easy? Could I get to the portal and have my screenshot? No. Uh-oh. That dragon had been downstairs just before. It was up there now. And I was standing in it's patrol path. I shared my concerns with the wonderfully supportive audience.

Fortunately, I found out quickly that the dragon I was looking at was another dragon. Yup, Phantim was still happily whizzing away downstairs, doing his dragon things. Like eat Trolls. Somewhat relieved by this, Nyxlath decided to go for the style and panache, before running like hell. No way was I getting anywhere near the portal for long enough to get a heroic screenshot. Not alive, anyway.

I turned around to descend the stairs. Hoo boy! Talk about being tag teamed. Up there, Dreamstalker viciously flapping about, down there, Phantim closing in. Fortunately, Phantim did not have the universal omnisight of the Warders, and just before the temple made a turn, returning to the side. Nyxlath grabbed hold of his strangely wet leggings, and made a dash for the hills. Like a madman he shot across the field, stumbled his way up the mountains and did not stop before jumping down on the road to Azshara on the other side. Enough dragons for one night!

So I checked around for information on these dragons or the portal, but couldn't really come up with anything. Has anyone else gone up against them, gone through the portal? Are these dragons to be slain in a quest? What's their story? :)
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
There is a similar looking elven portal near Darkshire in Duskwood, but the portal is a dud and there are no dragons, as of last I looked.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Leshy,Jan 25 2005, 09:18 PM Wrote:So I checked around for information on these dragons or the portal, but couldn't really come up with anything. Has anyone else gone up against them, gone through the portal? Are these dragons to be slain in a quest? What's their story? :)
[right][snapback]66379[/snapback][/right]
Went there in late beta, when there were no uber-dragon guardians, and the portal did absolutely nothing (like the one in Duskwood).

Like the famed GM Island, the Emerald Dream exists somewhere in the game, but I don't know if there's current any way to get to it. Except to die and then pop into the Dream as a ghost due to a bug, which happened to me in beta - it was unfinished at the time, nothing special to see really. GM had to port me out. Anyway, maybe this portal is meant to get you there, eventually.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jan 26 2005, 12:22 AM Wrote:Went there in late beta, when there were no uber-dragon guardians, and the portal did absolutely nothing (like the one in Duskwood).

Like the famed GM Island, the Emerald Dream exists somewhere in the game, but I don't know if there's current any way to get to it.  Except to die and then pop into the Dream as a ghost due to a bug, which happened to me in beta - it was unfinished at the time, nothing special to see really.  GM had to port me out.  Anyway, maybe this portal is meant to get you there, eventually.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]66389[/snapback][/right]

There are dragons in Feralas, near the Twin Colossals. I'm able to get close enough to get a good shot of the area with my spyglass. I'll head back there and take some shots next time I'm in Feralas.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
there's also another portal like that in northeastern hinterlands, which last i remember in beta was completely empty. They are rumoured to be gates to the Emerald Dream, but not active yet, so nothing to worry about at the moment. Something involving end game anyway.
Seradine is now quite occupied by dragonkin. Blue, if I recall correctly, but don't take my word for that.

Mazthoril in Winterspring is definitely occupied by the blue dragonflight.

The greens are running around in Oneiros in Feralas, that corner of Ashenvale you took screens of, and, of course, are piled all over the Erinakus branch of the Temple of Atal'hakkar.

The blacks and reds are in the Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge. Also, the ruins of the dwarven city (whose name escapes me entirely at this moment) in the Wetlands are wholly occupied by red dragonkin.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more floating around somewhere.
Bolty,Jan 26 2005, 05:22 AM Wrote:Went there in late beta, when there were no uber-dragon guardians, and the portal did absolutely nothing (like the one in Duskwood).
That's a bit of a shame then. The fabled, mystical heavily guarded piece of garden decoration ;)

But yes, I didn't think of the Emerald Dream. Considering it's an Elven portal and there are dragons guarding it, that does sound like the most likely answer. I wonder how difficult it's going to be when it's done, considering Onyxia hasn't even been killed, and I believe people have not even managed to get to Ragnaros to begin with - although Conquest is getting close on both counts.

Can't wait for EU release :w00t:
stabby,Jan 26 2005, 04:21 AM Wrote:Seradine is now quite occupied by dragonkin.  Blue, if I recall correctly, but don't take my word for that.

Green.

stabby,Jan 26 2005, 04:21 AM Wrote:That's all I can recall off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are more floating around somewhere.
[right][snapback]66412[/snapback][/right]

Well, there's Occulus and friends of the Bronze hanging out around the Caverns of Time in Tanaris. (Fun place. Must upload screenies sometime.)

I'm surprised and saddened that there aren't any Frost Wyrms in game yet. There are a couple of quest lines leading that direction in UBRS and Scholomance, but I don't believe any mobs (or NPCs) are in game. Oh well.
stabby,Jan 26 2005, 03:21 AM Wrote:Seradine is now quite occupied by dragonkin.  Blue, if I recall correctly, but don't take my word for that.

Mazthoril in Winterspring is definitely occupied by the blue dragonflight.

The greens are running around in Oneiros in Feralas, that corner of Ashenvale you took screens of, and, of course, are piled all over the Erinakus branch of the Temple of Atal'hakkar.

The blacks and reds are in the Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge.  Also, the ruins of the dwarven city (whose name escapes me entirely at this moment) in the Wetlands are wholly occupied by red dragonkin.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are more floating around somewhere.
[right][snapback]66412[/snapback][/right]

A WoW story that I found amusing: I was regularly teaming with a Hunter when we were in our late 30's and early 40's. Somewhere in STV we ran into something nasty and got wiped out. I said "We shouldn't go back - that thing killed you in 2 hits.", to which he replied "I'm not impressed unless it's one hit!".

Fast forward a few days, where we have stumbled into Sardane. I have time to see the pretty green dragon before I'm completely destroyed. My hunter friend runs; a wise choice. As I'm running back for my body he says "Okay, now I'm impressed".

-DarkCrown

Elite dragons are mean. The one guarding the portal is a level 62 elite, IIRC. Jumping through the portal didn't do anything (had to sacrifice my cat to get out alive).
stabby,Jan 26 2005, 03:21 AM Wrote:The blacks and reds are in the Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge.  Also, the ruins of the dwarven city (whose name escapes me entirely at this moment) in the Wetlands are wholly occupied by red dragonkin.

There are lots of blacks in southern Dustwallow Marsh. That makes sense, since that's where Onyxia's lair is -- and also a huge black named drake has a cave there.

Incidentally, the "dragons" you have been talking about are actually called "drakes." The term "dragon" is reserved for the five main dragons of Azeroth -- Onyxia being one of them.
MongoJerry,Jan 27 2005, 12:03 AM Wrote:Incidentally, the "dragons" you have been talking about are actually called "drakes."  The term "dragon" is reserved for the five main dragons of Azeroth -- Onyxia being one of them.
[right][snapback]66474[/snapback][/right]
Do you mean that the only real dragons are the five Dragon Aspects, and all others are drakes, or that the game itself has a total of five actual dragon bosses, of which Onyxia is one?

Because according to Blizzard, the five dragon aspects were Nozdormu, Alexstrasza, Ysera, Malygos and Neltharion.