New D2 Calculator
Up at the top here I'll show updates/progess on the program:

*Now reorded the runes as of adeyke's request to go from El in top left, down the column in order, instead of across.
*Runeword "Grief" is now spelled right (adeyke).
*Holy Thunder's clvl is now correctly at 24 (adeyke).

() = person who noticed
Actual first post:

Now, I know Diablo 2 has been around now for quite a while, and the player base is dwindling. But, a few months ago my friend got me back into the game, and so now I'm playing once again fairly steadily on US East.

In the meantime, I had just started my senior year at highschool and was midway through an intro to Java programming class. I got bored, and got an idea, to make a runeword calculator. To make something where the user could input all of the runes they have, then click a button, and all of the runewords that they could possibly make would be displayed. This would help me much because I wouldn't have to flip through papers/the Arreat Summit and compare and contrast what I owned anymore, while giving me some real experience at creating something that was easy to use.

I wasn't sure if this had been made already, but I decided to go with it anyway.

A little while later, and a bunch more runewords were released, so I figured it was time to go to work, and after about a month I have finally finished to where I am happy to "release" it.

But here's the problem, I really do not know how? I've scanned the Lurker Lounge for quite a while, way before the long shutdown, but never really could consider myself smart enough to post :) And so I know a lot of you are really bright and would know how to do this, so it's to all of you that I turn.

I don't have a place that I can host it, because I can't afford to pay for any web hosting, and because I designed it as a stand alone application instead of an applet, I don't know if I can use geocities or not. I wanted to somehow attach it to this post so you all could just download it and try it, but it doesn't appear that I can do so. If there is anyone out there that can host it or something so everyone can get to it, that would be great. If you want a copy of it, just send me an email, and I'll send you one as soon as I get to it. ----------> mitchszz@hotmail.com

I want to know what you all think because this is my first actual program that tries to appeal to people, instead of a textbook.

US East ROCKS!!! *Esahaettr

*I may not know the answer, but the voices in my head probably do.
*Cows may come and cows may go, but the bull in here will live on forever.
Esahaettr,Jan 24 2005, 06:19 PM Wrote:Now, I know Diablo 2 has been around now for quite a while, and the player base is dwindling.  But, a few months ago my friend got me back into the game, and so now I'm playing once again fairly steadily on US East.

In the meantime, I had just started my senior year at highschool and was midway through an intro to Java programming class.  I got bored, and got an idea, to make a runeword calculator.  To make something where the user could input all of the runes they have, then click a button, and all of the runewords that they could possibly make would be displayed.  This would help me much because I wouldn't have to flip through papers/the Arreat Summit and compare and contrast what I owned anymore, while giving me some real experience at creating something that was easy to use.

I wasn't sure if this had been made already, but I decided to go with it anyway.

A little while later, and a bunch more runewords were released, so I figured it was time to go to work, and after about a month I have finally finished to where I am happy to "release" it.

But here's the problem, I really do not know how?  I've scanned the Lurker Lounge for quite a while, way before the long shutdown, but never really could consider myself smart enough to post  :)  And so I know a lot of you are really bright and would know how to do this, so it's to all of you that I turn.

I don't have a place that I can host it, because I can't afford to pay for any web hosting, and because I designed it as a stand alone application instead of an applet, I don't know if I can use geocities or not.  I wanted to somehow attach it to this post so you all could just download it and try it, but it doesn't appear that I can do so.  If there is anyone out there that can host it or something so everyone can get to it, that would be great.  If you want a copy of it, just send me an email, and I'll send you one as soon as I get to it. ----------> mitchszz@hotmail.com

I want to know what you all think because this is my first actual program that tries to appeal to people, instead of a textbook.
[right][snapback]66277[/snapback][/right]

I sent you an email asking to send me a copy of the script. Looking forward to looking at it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Esahaettr,Jan 24 2005, 08:19 PM Wrote:I don't have a place that I can host it, because I can't afford to pay for any web hosting, and because I designed it as a stand alone application instead of an applet, I don't know if I can use geocities or not.  I wanted to somehow attach it to this post so you all could just download it and try it, but it doesn't appear that I can do so.  If there is anyone out there that can host it or something so everyone can get to it, that would be great.  If you want a copy of it, just send me an email, and I'll send you one as soon as I get to it. ----------> mitchszz@hotmail.com

[right][snapback]66277[/snapback][/right]

I can host it on my webspace. Email me at dadozer@gmail.com
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
I just sent you a copy Dozer, as well as Occhidiangela an hour or two ago.

Second Edit: Dozer, I tried sending one to you, around 9:00pm central time, and I got a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" message. I tried "dadozer@gmail.com" and I don't know what went wrong? Do you think hotmail or gmail is rejecting it because it thinks its a virus? Because it IS afterall and application, so maybe it thinks is malicious? Any way around this?

Third Edit: Ok, I found out why it won't mail to you Dozer. Gmail must block programs from being sent, because i just tried sending to my own gmail account, and it failed. But, I tried sending it to a hotmail account and that seemed to work fine. So if you have a hotmail account, that would work much better.

I hope I'm sending this alright, because I tried attaching the folder itself, unzipped and all, but I just couldn't find a way, it kept just opening up the folder instead. So I tried zipping the whole folder, and that worked, and I can now attach it. But will zipping it make Mac users unable to open it?

And...now I just found out that something else might be wrong. I clicked on the folder, and told it to do "Send to Compressed/Zipped Folder" thinking that would make me able to attach it. And yes, it did. But now when I double click on the zipped folder, it opens to the folder, just not zipped, and I opened that and instead of having the 4 original files like I had in the folder before I zipped it, I got these:

icons ---> same as before
Mitch's D2 Runeword Calculator.jar ----> same as before
Readme.txt -----> same as before

but...

now my shortcut that I had in there doesn't have the cool looking "java" picture on it, just a generic like programmy thing, like the computer doesn't know what kind of file it is.

and...

some file called: "Thumbs.db" and I swear I never had that in there before.

Furthermore, when I click on the .jar file to run it, it opens up the GUI and everything, but none of the icons are being displayed, but I checked, and they definately are still in the icons folder?!?

Hmmmm, there is a button on Windows explorer that says "Extract all files" so maybe that's why, maybe they're still zipped or something....

First Edit: I'm an idiot, it's because I didn't extract them first.

Clicky <--- Edit: new version
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Some comments:

Distributing shortcuts isn't good, as those are Windows-specific and as they point so something on your computer. The shortcut is set to start in "C:\Documents and Settings\Mitch\Desktop\Mitch's D2 Runeword Calculator", which most users won't have. Messy.

Distributing thumbs.db files is worse.

Distributing a JAR file with a thumbs.db file is even worse than that.

Glaringly bright background = not pretty.

Grief is spelled wrong.

The alignment of the columns shifts slightly if you go from all haves to at least one have-not (and vice versa).

Holy Thunder requires clvl 24, not 21 (due to the holy shock skill bonus).

The compute button seems somewhat superfluous, as the list could just be updated on every click without significant slowdown.

The layout of the runes seems counterintuitive. They line up nicely in columns, but the ordering is row-first.

The AS has many inaccuracies with the various realms-only runewords. Take any information regarding those with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, because of their realms-only status, I can't give the accurate stats.

It's disconcerting how the runeword description resizes and moves around every time.

Possible future features:

Right now, the options are "may include this rune" and "may not include this rune." You could also add "must include this rune." Someone might have a specific rare rune and want to know what can be done with it.

Buttons to select all and select none.

Restrictions based on item type and number of sockets.
adeyke,Jan 26 2005, 08:18 PM Wrote:Some comments:

Distributing shortcuts isn't good, as those are Windows-specific and as they point so something on your computer.  The shortcut is set to start in "C:\Documents and Settings\Mitch\Desktop\Mitch's D2 Runeword Calculator", which most users won't have.  Messy.

Distributing thumbs.db files is worse.

Distributing a JAR file with a thumbs.db file is even worse than that.

Glaringly bright background = not pretty.

Grief is spelled wrong.

The alignment of the columns shifts slightly if you go from all haves to at least one have-not (and vice versa).

Holy Thunder requires clvl 24, not 21 (due to the holy shock skill bonus).

The compute button seems somewhat superfluous, as the list could just be updated on every click without significant slowdown.

The layout of the runes seems counterintuitive.  They line up nicely in columns, but the ordering is row-first.

The AS has many inaccuracies with the various realms-only runewords.  Take any information regarding those with a grain of salt.  Unfortunately, because of their realms-only status, I can't give the accurate stats.

It's disconcerting how the runeword description resizes and moves around every time.

Possible future features:

Right now, the options are "may include this rune" and "may not include this rune."  You could also add "must include this rune."  Someone might have a specific rare rune and want to know what can be done with it.

Buttons to select all and select none.

Restrictions based on item type and number of sockets.
[right][snapback]66490[/snapback][/right]

Ok, thanks for the input, lets see, I'll go through it and see what I can do/know how to do.

1. I'll get rid of the shortcut, thanks on that one, I didn't know that!
2. "Distributing thumbs.db files is worse.
Distributing a JAR file with a thumbs.db file is even worse than that."

What is that and how do I stop that? It automatically formed inside of the file when I "sent it to Zipped folder" Is this like security for me bad? so-so bad? Really bad? Slightly bad? What could happen?

3. Bright background, can fix. What colors would be more suitable?
4. Grief, didn't catch that, can fix.
5. I know about the columns shifting, and I don't know how to fix that! Well, I think I might be able to, so I'll try it. I'm using GridBagLayout, and I think I'll just need some larger spacer to hold everything..?
6. Definately could change the compute button to something that computes every time a rune is selected or deselected.
7. And I'm pretty sure I can reorder the runes to go down from low level to high without too much trouble.
8. What can I do about the Arreat Summit problems? Is there another better source?
9. Hmm, I know the resizing of the runeword properties kind of sucks. I could try two things. First, I might be able to force it to expand to fit everytime, have to try. Otherwise, maybe if I just make the backgrounds the same thing, you wounldn't notice it? I'll see here.
10. Can definately add more restrictions to the runewords, like char level, items, and number of sockets, but it'll just take more time to write the code. This would probably take the longest amount of time.
11. Hmmm, about the "Must contain" though, that'll take some thinking. I should definately be able to do is somehow, but I might have to restructure how I set up all of my if-then statements regarding the runelist. I'll probably hit this 1 one of the last of these, but I'll see what I can do. I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but I can get back to it then. Really, if the D2 community has been around this long, I think it'll be there a while. :)

Any other suggestions, problems?

Esahaettr,Jan 26 2005, 07:34 PM Wrote:1. I'll get rid of the shortcut, thanks on that one, I didn't know that!
2. "Distributing thumbs.db files is worse.
&nbsp; &nbsp; Distributing a JAR file with a thumbs.db file is even worse than that."

What is that and how do I stop that?&nbsp; It automatically formed inside of the file when I "sent it to Zipped folder"&nbsp; Is this like security for me bad?&nbsp; so-so bad?&nbsp; Really bad?&nbsp; Slightly bad?&nbsp; What could happen?

Not a security issue. The thumbs.db file contains the thumbnail icons from a Windows Explorer thumbnails view (more info). It's just unsightly to have those files included in a ZIP.

Quote:3. Bright background, can fix.&nbsp; What colors would be more suitable?

I'm a fan of default colours and subdued greys, personally.

Quote:5. I know about the columns shifting, and I don't know how to fix that!&nbsp; Well, I think I might be able to, so I'll try it.&nbsp; I'm using GridBagLayout, and I think I'll just need some larger spacer to hold everything..?

Trying to get the different layouts to behave like I want them to is one of my least favourite parts of Java ;).

Quote:8. What can I do about the Arreat Summit problems?&nbsp; Is there another better source?

There's this site, but I can't vouch for its accuracy, either.

Quote:9. Hmm, I know the resizing of the runeword properties kind of sucks.&nbsp; I could try two things.&nbsp; First, I might be able to force it to expand to fit everytime, have to try.&nbsp; Otherwise, maybe if I just make the backgrounds the same thing, you wounldn't notice it?&nbsp; I'll see here.

Ideally, it would be a fixed-size text area with line wrap, I think.
Esahaettr,Jan 25 2005, 12:19 AM Wrote:I want to know what you all think because this is my first actual program that tries to appeal to people, instead of a textbook.[right][snapback]66277[/snapback][/right]

At the moment there's no mechanism to specify how many of each type of rune you have; I might have one Vex rune, but I can't make Phoenix or Last Wish with just one of them.
You don't know what you're talking about.
lfd,Jan 27 2005, 03:38 AM Wrote:At the moment there's no mechanism to specify how many of each type of rune you have; I might have one Vex rune, but I can't make Phoenix or Last Wish with just one of them.
[right][snapback]66504[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, when I started making the program I had never even heard of runewords using more than one of one type of rune. So you know, halfway through I hit some of those high level ones and was kind of stuck, but I just let it go, but you definately have a good point.

There are a few ways to do this in my mind, so tell me what you think:

A. a text box appears where "HAVE" is right now so you can specify how many you have
B. a rolling/scrolling (don't know the correct terminology) little box appears where "HAVE" is now that lets up click up, and click down the number, and default will be 1
C. or...I don't know how to do this yet, but have it distinguish between right and left clicks on the runes, and one could up the number and one could lower the number. Min = ------ Max = 4 or something. None use more than 4 of the same, right? There has got to be a way to do this, but I'm having trouble figuring it out. We just go into listeners (button) in the last chapter, so I'm doing a lot of reading ahead/messing around. If anyone can point me here, I think this way might be the best.

And adeyke, I think you're right a fixed size textarea would be best. I'm not too good with them, because we never covered them yet, and the java website is a little too technical for me, but I think I can figure it out.

JTextArea text = new JTextArea(int dimen, int dimen) <-----it's those dimension things that I have a problem with. It's almost trial and error with me. Also, do you know the method to center text in a text area? I think it's something like:

text.setHorizontalAlignment() but I don't know the vairable. I tried JTextArea.CENTER and stuff like that, but it didn't work...

Just sent Dozer the latest update:

-"Grief" is now spelled right
-Reordered the runes to go from El in the top left, then down the list, instead of going across in rows
-Holy Thunder now has the correct character level
-Got rid of the "compute" button. Now everything happens as you select/deselect the runes, immediately
-Added "select all" and "unselect all" buttons
-Forced the runeword attributes box to expand to cover some of the blue on the right
-Fixed the slight shrinkage that would occur with the runes if a whole column was selected as "HAVE"
-Updated the readme

Most of this...or possibly all of this, was upon request by adeyke. I haven't yet done the char level restrictions box and the item type/number of sockets, because I'm still thinking about the best way to do so. Also, I didn't change the colors yet. I kinda like the vibrant blue, red, and yellow...: ) but I'll probably give in and change it eventually.

websites are really cheap, you can get a *.com website for a $1.25 a week and ten dollars a year. When you add it up, it sounds scarier (at $70) but really, only 5 bucks a month....

http://www.fuitadnet.com
I'm new. I play Diablo II.
Very cool little app you've got there.

Thanks!
US East Administrator on The Amazon Basin

[Image: mikeandroe.png]