Los Angeles angels of Anaheim
This describes one part of a suit tha's going on in baseball. The angels in California want to use "Los Angeles" in their name, although they play in Anaheim. After hearing about this from my brother, I made up some other such strange names designed to confuse people who didn't understand the geography of the areas. Here are some ideas for team names:

"San Diego Giants of San Francisco" This will confuse the heck out of some people. "San francisco" and "San Diego" are pretty commonly known city names, are known to be in california, and both have "San" in the similar sounding names, so people who don't know where the cities are will have the heck confused out of them trying to figure out what are to go to.

"Phoenix Suns of Flagstaff" (Right now the Suns are a basketball team in Phoenix). Similar idea to the one above.

"The Roswell UFO's" Now, to confuse people, have them play in Roswell, Georgia.

Any others?
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Well, the New York Giants and the New Jersey Nets play in more or less the same location, I think. :wacko:

Well the Angels is a bit of a strange situation anyway. First they were the California angels (and still playing at that stadium where the filmed the Naked Gun)

It would be a bit strange to go to be the los angeles angels, because there are the dodgers...(or are they planning to move).

Weren't the angels called los angeles angels before they were called california angels??

Anyway if they are still owned by disney they can better stick with anaheim.
Griselda,Jan 24 2005, 07:04 PM Wrote:Well, the New York Giants and the New Jersey Nets play in more or less the same location, I think.  :wacko:
[right][snapback]66279[/snapback][/right]

Not quite. Unless the Nets play basketball at the Meadowlands. I used to know this stuff, leaving the New York area behind left that trivia somewhere on the GW Bridge.

New York Giants and New York Jets now play in New Jersey, which made the New York Giants get called, but some, the New Jersey Giants . . . in any case, they alternate home team rights at The Meadow lands, since the Giants left Yankee Stadium and the Jets no longer play at Shea.

It gets better.

At least the Knicks still play at Madison Square Garden.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Minionman,Jan 24 2005, 05:03 PM Wrote:This describes one part of a suit tha's going on in baseball.  The angels in California want to use "Los Angeles" in their name, although they play in Anaheim.  After hearing about this from my brother, I made up some other such strange names designed to confuse people who didn't understand the geography of the areas. 

How about a true one: The Washington Redskins of Landover/Ashburn--
FedEx Field which is home to the Redskins is in Landover MD, while "Redskins Park" which houses the team's offices and several of the training facilities is in Ashburn VA. Ah, the magic of the national capitol area. Or a few more: the Detroit Pistons of Auburn Hills, or the Detroit Lions of Pontiac, the Buffalo Bills of Orchard Park, and finally, the Expos almost became (and may yet become) the Washington Nationals of Loudon County.

I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with Kaleefornian geography as I am other parts of the country, but I think this is becoming a bigger deal than it should be. I understand that the name may be confusing, in addition to its stupidity, but I think the team needs to stick with what they've got (which I believe is part of their rental contract with the stadium owners).
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Occhidiangela,Jan 25 2005, 11:21 AM Wrote:Not quite.  Unless the Nets play basketball at the Meadowlands.  I used to know this stuff, leaving the New York area behind left that trivia somewhere on the GW Bridge.

[right][snapback]66340[/snapback][/right]

Heh, I used to know it too, since I went to high school in NJ, but was trying to take the shortcut and not look it up. So... the Nets play in "Continental Airlines Arena". Since that's also in East Rutherford, I'm just about positive it's a part of the Meadowlands. I'm also pretty sure it's where I saw my first concert as a teenybopper. :blush:
Jeunemaitre,Jan 25 2005, 02:59 PM Wrote:I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with Kaleefornian geography as I am other parts of the country, but I think this is becoming a bigger deal than it should be.  I understand that the name may be confusing, in addition to its stupidity, but I think the team needs to stick with what they've got (which I believe is part of their rental contract with the stadium owners).
[right][snapback]66352[/snapback][/right]

Mostly I used the story to come up with some funny team ideas.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
This travesty has made manifest in my eyes today. I was reading an SI article about a recent game, and as I read over the passage of "...Los Angeles reliever Brendan Donnelly was ejected for having a foreign substance in his glove..." my mind clicked on the troubling factoid: Donnelly is not a Dodger...

...shame on you, Angels. Shame.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
You want a goofy team name? YOU WANT A GOOFY TEAM NAME?

Here! Take it!
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Jun 16 2005, 03:44 PM Wrote:You want a goofy team name?  YOU WANT A GOOFY TEAM NAME?

Here!  Take it!
[right][snapback]80862[/snapback][/right]

I can't stop thinking about Michael Kay (Sp?) the yankee's broadcaster doing a Lugnuts game: "Lugnuts win! The-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e Lugnuts win!!!!!!
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee