Defensive Stance
Boutros,Mar 14 2005, 10:58 PM Wrote:You can open your spellbook and drag the icons for the various stances onto one of your your toolbars. Then by pressing the associated hotkey you can change stances, no macro required.

Is there a way to map stance buttons from the class bar to F1, F2, F3, for example?

For automated weapon switching I recommend Weapon Quick Swap and Stance Sets from http://capnbry.net/wow/.
[/quote]

Are these addons compatible with CTMod? (I wonder if we will use CTMod after the next patch... )
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
Ynir,Mar 14 2005, 02:09 PM Wrote:Is there a way to map stance buttons from the class bar to F1, F2, F3, for example?
[right][snapback]70741[/snapback][/right]
Sure, after you drag the stance buttons to the hotbar of your choice go into the key bindings menu and set the binding associated with those buttons to F1, F2, and F3, or whatever else you want.

Edit: I reread your message, and I have no idea how to bind hotkeys to the class bar, or if it is even possible. You might be stuck using up space on your toolbar as I suggested earlier.

Ynir,Mar 14 2005, 02:09 PM Wrote:Are these addons compatible with CTMod? (I wonder if we will use CTMod after the next patch... )
[right][snapback]70741[/snapback][/right]
Yes. I used to use these addons with Cosmos, then with Gypsy, and now with a combination of Gypsy and CTMod. Never had any sort of compatability issue.
Ynir,Mar 14 2005, 04:38 PM Wrote:Two problems here.  She hasn't figured out how to switch stances with a hotkey, and clicking the classbar takes a lot of time and reflex. 
[right][snapback]70736[/snapback][/right]
The default hotkey is ctrl-F1 through F8 for the "special actions" (iirc, that's what the key binding interface calls them) such as switching stances for warriors and going into or out of stealth for rogues. You can simply go under key bindings and switch them to something without having to put them on a skill bar.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Mar 14 2005, 02:43 PM Wrote:The default hotkey is ctrl-F1 through F8 for the "special actions" (iirc, that's what the key binding interface calls them) such as switching stances for warriors and going into or out of stealth for rogues.  You can simply go under key bindings and switch them to something without having to put them on a skill bar.
[right][snapback]70745[/snapback][/right]

I had tested this a couple of hours ago, and couldn't get it to work. I was about to write a reply contradicting you, when I found that pressing F5 wasn't properly refreshing the page. It would seem that the keyboard that I'm using over spring break has an F-Lock button that makes the F keys do various unexpected things. Then I tested again and it worked fine, Ctrl-F1 for Battle Stance, Ctrl-F2 for Defensive, and Ctrl-F3 for Berserker.

My normal keyboard is so old that it uses an AT style connector, I need an adapter to even use it. These newfangled features frighten and confuse me.
Chaerophon, let's not resurrect the min/max vs other styles part of the thread from Jan 30th. (the post you quoted here is a month and a half old!) We've discussed all this with the same players much more recently in other threads. No need to reopen it. The tactics discussion is fine to resurrect, but not this part of it, especially not the way you did it.

Thank you.

--Mav
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Ynir,Mar 14 2005, 06:38 PM Wrote:PvP
Advanced Target Dummy: No future in the battlegrounds for Spangles. She has never defeated a paladin, much less a rogue or a mage. Will she have to respec to fury to survive? If there is a defense spec pvp assasin out there Spangles would like to hear about it.
[right][snapback]70736[/snapback][/right]

Protection is viable in mass PvP (e.g., 40-80 people total), where you're basically a drop in the bucket. Your primary job will be to be a mana sponge and to protect your priests and druids from rogues. Improved Shield Bash will instantly shut down any kind of caster, and the five-second stun from Concussion Blow cannot be overstated.

If you expect to be doing LOTS of mass PvP (I wouldn't consider Battlegrounds to be mass PvP; although 80 people is feasible, you won't be seeing the entire opposing raid group for most of the match), then maybe you can stay Protection. If you aren't, you'll want to be a Fury or Arms build, since you'll be making up a significant portion of your group's DPS.

I'd strongly suggest you tweak your build if you want to be at all serious about PvP; Tactical Mastery is downright required for efficient PvP play. Bloodrage cuts your HP (even the small cut with Improved Bloodrage is too much), and has a one-minute cooldown, which effectively makes your Intercept cooldown go from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.

Even if you aren't into PvP, I'd find a way to work at least Deflection into your gameplan; the extra Parry will go a long way in increasing your tanking potential.

I'd also recommend dropping the points in Battle Shout and giving them to Unbridled Wrath. While Battle Shout will make Shaman, Paladins, and Rogues love you, the difference in DPS is fairly negligible, and the two extra points in UW will go a long way in increasing the amount of Rage you generate while tanking, especially if you use a fast weapon. Alternately, take that point from UW and give it to Battle Shout; 8% isn't really significant :)

It seems you have the issue of losing rage to stance-switching covered with your macros, but you might want to give Tactical Mastery (and Anger Management, if you can find the points for it) a shot. It'll make you less reliant on Bloodrage :)

Then again, I find myself switching to Berserker Stance to do an Intercept or two-handed Whirlwind pretty frequently while tanking. YMMV.

Finally, I'd like to know what you think of Shield Discipline. I had it a while back, but didn't really find it particularly useful or interesting. I ended up using the six points invested into it (maxed 1h spec and Shield Discipline) into Tactical Mastery and Anger Management. Of course, I later spec'd out of Protection entirely and went with my 34/17 Fury/Arms build that I currently use, and I've been happy ever since :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
My only real comment on this post is the part about soloing. Soloing is what Battle/Berserk shine at. I don't bother with defensive when soloing, except in particular situations, like maybe to use disarm on a mob that's hurting me more than I like.

No, soloing for my mace/shield Protection warrior is charge or pull, hamstring it if it'll run, rend it for an easy free DPS, and beat the living heck out of it. 2 mobs? no problem. Hamstring, tab, Hamstring, cleave, use whatever abilities are useful for the mobs you're fighting, cleave some more, rinse, repeat, grab a bandaid after they're dead if you need it. Three mobs? Maybe. Depends on how high-damage they are, I guess. Cleave is indicated here, of course. Intimidating Shout helps in soloing, unless you're in a space where you can't fear them.

I will note that while mostly protection spec, she does have cruelty. Extra 5% crit is bigger than you may realize. She won't touch my troll warrior (described below) in DPS, but she's not supposed to. Rend is actually useful in her case, as she's not putting out the huge damage the Arms/Fury two-hand warriors are.

I have a note on tanking, also. I also have an Arms/Fury 2-hand sword troll. She carries a shield/one-hander and can tank in defensive stance for a group perfectly well. She just requires more healing love than my tank-spec in any given situation. She's also known to flip weapons and use the two-hander to cleave if there aren't any adds, and the mobs are firmly locked on her.
--Mav
Mavfin,Mar 16 2005, 02:28 PM Wrote:No, soloing for my mace/shield Protection warrior is charge or pull, hamstring it if it'll run, rend it for an easy free DPS, and beat the living heck out of it.  2 mobs? no problem.  Hamstring, tab, Hamstring, cleave, use whatever abilities are useful for the mobs you're fighting, cleave some more, rinse, repeat, grab a bandaid after they're dead if you need it. Three mobs? Maybe.  Depends on how high-damage they are, I guess.  Cleave is indicated here, of course.  Intimidating Shout helps in soloing, unless you're in a space where you can't fear them.
I assume you mean that you hamstring runners when they are closer to death, not after the initial charge. Unless you're still at a low level, I can't imagine your warrior (a defense spec'd one, especially) killing mobs in about 20 seconds each. Or is this a "green grinding" strategy?

By the time the mid-late twenties warrior I played could bring a mob down to fleeing health, an initial hamstring would've worn off. Of course, maybe my weapon was much crappier for the level than yours. But I generally waited until a mob was between one-half and one-third health before using hamstring. Fifteen seconds goes by quickly for a sword-and-board warrior.
playingtokrush,Mar 17 2005, 03:18 AM Wrote:I assume you mean that you hamstring runners when they are closer to death, not after the initial charge.  Unless you're still at a low level, I can't imagine your warrior (a defense spec'd one, especially) killing mobs in about 20 seconds each.  Or is this a "green grinding" strategy?

By the time the mid-late twenties warrior I played could bring a mob down to fleeing health, an initial hamstring would've worn off.  Of course, maybe my weapon was much crappier for the level than yours.  But I generally waited until a mob was between one-half and one-third health before using hamstring.  Fifteen seconds goes by quickly for a sword-and-board warrior.
[right][snapback]71032[/snapback][/right]

Depends on the mob, really. Cloth-wearers, you better do it quick and re-apply if needed, as you never know when you're going to get a big crit on them. More heavily armored, hamstring to taste. :P
--Mav
Thanks for these suggestions, I will adjust talents after the patch & report on results.

Meanwhile, I didn't find shield discipline at all useful, mostly because it uses too much rage. I had missed this comment that Gnollguy made earlier:

Quote:Since revenge is triggered when you not the mob, block, parry or dodge you can make a revenge available whenever you want by using shield block.

So I put shield block on the button bar in place of shield discipline and use it whenever it lights up. I now think that revenge/shield block is central to defense tactics.
Hitting ctrl-anything still takes too much reflex, so I remapped the class bar to F1, etc. I am still sorting out how to make a smooth transition among stances while thinking about something else.

*edit*: This was supposed to go under comments by Threesh and Boutros about key bindings, but I don't know how to change locations.
Ynir,Mar 17 2005, 05:25 PM Wrote:Hitting ctrl-anything still takes too much reflex, so I remapped the class bar to F1, etc.  I am still sorting out how to make a smooth transition among stances while thinking about something else.

[right][snapback]71095[/snapback][/right]

I don't know how much it helps but as a point of reference I set up my three stances to be Shift-1, Shift-2, and Shift-3. Because my left hand is constantly near the number keys for using skills it's not too much of a stretch to extend my pinky to the shift key for a quick stance change (Ctrl is too far away). The only time this is ever difficult is if I am moving at the same time. If this is the case I will reach my right hand to press either the number button or right shift key.

I didn't know about how to change the key bindings initially (I think Treesh posted a resolution to this) so I just put each stance into a small 3 button flexbar block in a corner of the screen so I can always click to change stances if I want as well.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
Spangles' small guild recently merged with a big raiding guild, and now she finds herself learning the role of main tank. I posted these comments on the guild forum.

Main Tank
A warrior can hold aggo best on mobs that he pulls. This works in open areas like strat/baron. Lots of talk helps: who will sap what, who will sheep what, who will seduce what, who will shackle what, who is ready, who is not. Lighten up, please. Two hours of quiet tension is not fun.

Only one puller. Most of the wipes I've seen start with simultaneous pulls from different directions.

Casters hold off until the tank locks aggro. A tank cannot compete for aggro with a caster on a pull.

Does the tank make a priority of going for mob casters that stay behind after a pull, nuking the raid?

If a hunter pulls, should the tank follow the pet?

Is it useful for a tank to face the mob from the back, and turn the mob around so that assists come from the back? I heard that attacks from the front and back do more damage than multiple attacks from the same direction, but I don't know for sure.

It seems to me that the job of main tank in a raid, to lock and hold the heaviest mobs from a pull to keep them off the casters, is what defense stance was made for, if it was made for anything at all. I like using the power to turn a mob around and face me while the assists beat it up from behind.

Our guild is big enough to hold weekly pvp contests in the SV arena, and we will report on how the defense warrior holds up on the trial battleground.
Spangles rearranged her talents after the Big Patch, tweaking and fussing to maximize her defense capabilities. She has raided many times with her guild, and although she is still pretty green, the fog of war is thinning for her and patterns are emerging.

The discussion here is of the defense stance warrior in a raiding environment, 10 members or more. This has some relevance to 5 man dungeon groups, but is probably less relvant to soloing or pvp.

Definition of defense stance
"Decreases damage taken by 10% and damage caused by 10%. Increases threat generated."

Summary
There is no compelling reason for a warrior to leave defense stance in a raid environment. An artistic performance might begin with thunderclap and end with execute, but that takes time and rage. If the warrior pulls, the aggro will accrue entirely to him automatically at the beginning. At the end, his durability and aggro lock will have been of more value to the group than a chance at a juicy crit. The warrior doesn't beat things to death by himself on a raid. Massive support DPS is everywhere. Rogues crit for a living, casters nuke with many times the DPS that any warrior can reliably generate. The warrior holds the mob in position where the group can dispatch it. This is best done in defensive stance.

Skills and Talents
Skills are listed by position on the button bar, which is just habit. Supporting talents are listed with the skill.

1 attack: auto by default, "T" toggles

This makes for problems when immediately adjacent mobs are shackled, since the next swing after the current target dies is taken automatically. Autoattack reduces thrashing, however, and seems to be the easiest way to find a new target quickly.

2. sunder armor, 12 rage: "reduces target armor by 450, can be applied up to 5 times, lasts 30 sec"
talent - improved sunder armor, 3/3 points: "reduces cost of sunder armor by 3 rage points"

Concillian's analysis of accelerating returns for sunder armor makes this the primary attack after a taunt unless shield bash is needed.

3. revenge, 5 rage: "instantly counterattack enemy, follows block, dodge or parry"
talent - improved revenge, 3/3 points: "40% chance to stun target for 3 sec"

4. shield block, 10 rage: "increases chance to block by 75% for 7 sec"
talent - improved shield block, 3/3 points: "block additional attack"
talent - shield specialization, 5/5 points: "increase blocking 5%"

Gnollguy pointed out that revenge lights up after your block or parry, not the mob's. This and the fact that revenge/shield block use relatively little rage make this combo the foundation of the defense spec attack.

5. concussive blow, 15 rage: "damages, and stuns for 5 sec"
talent - concussive blow, 1/1 point: "damages and stuns opponent, 45 sec cooldown"

This attack obiviates charging or intercepting. Charging may surprise players in pvp, but a mob always knows when you arrive. You may as well walk up to the mob and concuss him in your own good time. Its value is in the ensuing downtime, not the extra damage that charge might do. The problem with charge/intercept is that it generates little or no aggro lock. Time and again Spangles has watched other warriors charge a mob at the front of the group, and has seen the mob scuttle to the back unimpeded after a brief skirmish.

The utility of concussion blow is mitigated by the high rage cost and long cooldown. This button just doesn't light up very often.

6. disarm, 20 rage: "disarms for 10 sec"

The aggro lock aspect of disarm is more important than damage mitigation, in a raid environment. Only armed mobs can be disarmed, however, and the rage cost is very high. When this button lights up you have to have to think about what you are doing: pressing the button on an unarmed mob generates an error message, and uses rage whether or not you disarm anything (not sure on this point).

7. demoralizing shout, 10 rage: "reduces enemy attack power by 182 for 30 sec"
talent - improved demoralizing shout, 5/5 points: "25% increased attack power reduction"

The defense spec warrior spends at least as much time and rage shouting as he does smashing & bashing. Every shout makes the mob hesitate, multiple mobs are affected simultaneously, and the rage cost for shouts is minimal. It is interesting that in D2 the singing barbarian was much beloved, while in WoW nobody knows or cares about warrior shouts.

8. taunt, 0 rage: "taunt enemy to attack you, has no effect on enemy that is already attacking you 8 sec cooldown"
talent - improved taunt, 2/2 points: "reduces cooldown 2 sec"

Taunt is the reason for using defense stance, of course. Spangles can't remember seeing an ordinary mob "resist" taunt. Even major bosses seem to respond to taunt, although sometimes the boss graphic is too large to see the taunt icon. (The combat log is closed during raids.) Taunt will snag a targeted mob that is charging the rear, and rubberband it right back to you. Taunt will spin the mob around from a group of assisting attackers to face you alone.

This latter effect is fun, but is it useful? The idea is that physical damage from separate attacks is greater if it comes from opposing directions, but I'm not sure about this. With the new patch, creatures cannot block or parry attacks from behind. (They can still dodge attacks from behind.) These effects result in less damage to the other attackers, which makes orienting the mob with taunt worthwhile indeed.

9. piercing howl, 10 rage: "dazes all nearby enemies for 6 sec"
talent - piercing howl, 1/1 point: "dazes 6 sec"

This is a great shout and it will stall multiple mobs, but the effect is always overwritten much earlier than 6 sec.

10. battle shout, 10 rage: "increases party's attack power by 193, lasts 2 min"

I was advised to ditch this shout, since it only augments physical damage, and only helps other melee members in the group, but I hate to give it up entirely since it should be useful in small groups and pvp. No talent points were assigned to it, however.

-. bloodrage: "generates 10 rage, then 10 rage over 10 sec"
talent - improved bloodrage 2/2 points: "reduces health cost of bloodrage by 50%"

=. shield bash, 10 rage: "bashes target with shield for 45 damage, interrupts spellcasting for 6 sec"
talent - improved shield bash, 2/2 points: "gives shield bash 100% chance to silence the target for 3 sec"

Shield bash is spammed without hesitation, on everyone, not just spellcasters. A thorium spike adds considerably to the damage. The button is placed where it is easily found since directing a shield bash at a spellcaster at exactly the right moment can be tricky. I've always thought that an extra increment of damage is done by a properly timed bash to a spellcaster, but I'm not sure.

Ancillary talents
toughness, 3/5 points: "increases armor value by 6%"
These three points are preqs for the next tier: toughness seemed a better choice than anticipation or iron will.

last stand, 1/1 point: "get 30% of max hp for 20 sec"
Anything to stay alive for another few seconds.

defiance, 5/5 points: "increases threat generated by attacks by 15%"
unbridled wrath, 5/5 points: "40% chance to generate additional rage point when dealing melee damage"
Excellent, excellent.

one-hand weapon specialization, 5/5 points: "increases damage 5%"
cruelty, 5/5 points: "increases chance for critical strike by 5%"
These points may help when in small groups or alone. Might be better placed elsewhere, tho.

Statistics for Spangles
HP: 1H/S: 4139 2H: 4069
AC: 1H/S: 6437 2H: 4155
"damage reduction against lvl 60 player is 53.9%"
These numbers do not change with stance.

melee damage, DPS
1H/S, defense: 86.9 berserker: 96.5
2H, defense: 90.4 berserker: 100.4
These numbers don't reflect the damage output mitigation caused by defense spec talent point assignment, of course.

ranged attack damage, DPS
defense: 63.7 berserker: 70.8
This shows that Spangles should switch into berserker to fire the gun, which she had not thought of before writing this piece.

Conclusions
Issues of free will aside, if Spangles were raidmaster she would demand that all warriors spec defense for the raid environment. This is not practical, of course. Nevertheless, it is much easier for Spangles to cooperate with the other defense warrior in our group than those in other stances, and this may have implications for the more difficult dungeons in the end game.

Much of the advantage of defense stance in the raid environment applies to 5 player groups also. It may be that in this context, total commitment to defense reduces damage output to unsatisfactory levels, and a more balanced assignment of talents is necessary. Spangles needs more experience before deciding.

Defense stance is great fun to play. The graphic shows a savage and unrelenting attack that is very satisfying. The real fun is talking to the mob, teasing it and frightening it and spinning it around, a game within the game. The statistic of 10% damage reduction to the warrior understates its effect. The defense warrior is very tough indeed, and with good healing, can play whole raids without checking his health. These benefits will bring more warriors to stance defense when they cap, I am sure.
Ynir,Apr 2 2005, 05:59 PM Wrote:Conclusions
Issues of free will aside, if Spangles were raidmaster she would demand that all warriors spec defense for the raid environment. This is not practical, of course. Nevertheless, it is much easier for Spangles to cooperate with the other defense warrior in our group than those in other stances, and this may have implications for the more difficult dungeons in the end game.

Much of the advantage of defense stance in the raid environment applies to 5 player groups also. It may be that in this context, total commitment to defense reduces damage output to unsatisfactory levels, and a more balanced assignment of talents is necessary. Spangles needs more experience before deciding.

Defense stance is great fun to play. The graphic shows a savage and unrelenting attack that is very satisfying. The real fun is talking to the mob, teasing it and frightening it and spinning it around, a game within the game. The statistic of 10% damage reduction to the warrior understates its effect. The defense warrior is very tough indeed, and with good healing, can play whole raids without checking his health. These benefits will bring more warriors to stance defense when they cap, I am sure.
[right][snapback]72808[/snapback][/right]

On a pve server, sure. There's really no excuse for not being Protection spec in the endgame, since pvp events tend to be organized from my experiences. In the pvp setting, however, it's foolish to be Protection.

Protection only marginally increases your survivability in the endgame (mostly from Last Stand and Improved Shield Block, along with Toughness), while causing a massive reduction to the total amount of damage you can do (in the form of opportunity costs.) Since you don't really NEED to do much damage, Protection is fine for PvE, but is a little gimped for PvP (you have Concussion Blow and Improved Shield Bash, and that's about it.)

As for Defensive Stance being necessary to tank, that's utterly not true. I've tanked (main tanked, not offtanked) UBRS, both ogre and undead sections of Dire Maul, Scholomance, and Stratholme in Berserker and/or Battle Stance. It requires a significant shift from the normal styles of play (wherein the warrior sacrifices damage output to become the proverbial immovable object and the healers heal the warrior while everyone else knocks the crap out of the target), but it's very viable. I know the Druid that was our main healer in the Stratholme group and one of the Dire Maul groups is 31 points into Restoration, but I can't say anything about what spec the Priest was, but I know he Silence-pulled occasionally, so I'm guessing Shadow/Discipline.

For pretty much all pulls, you don't even need a shield; I was perfectly happy using my two maces and Doomsaw to mete out damage and maintain aggro. You WILL need a shield for major bosses (and it's advised for minor bosses, too), like Drakkisath and such, but you don't need to do Defensive Stance for that, either (though I usually do, anyway.)

Key to effectively tanking in Berserker or Battle Stance is effective use of CC methods (sheep, freezing traps, hibernate, banish, shackles, etc.) and proper use of /assist macros.

As for Charge: I'd use this whenever possible. Have someone else (preferably a Hunter or Rogue, since they have methods of instantly shedding all aggro if things go bad) pull for you, and Charge when they get close to your group. If you don't have Tactical Mastery, burn the rage with a thunder clap or demoralizing shout before shifting to Defensive Stance.

There is a problem, however: both Charge and Intercept work on the same stun timer as Concussion Blow, which means that you MUST use Concussion Blow first (or wait 30 seconds after your Charge or Intercept) if you want to get the full five seconds.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Ynir,Jan 24 2005, 09:02 PM Wrote:She would greatly appreciate an explanation of how to set up an action bar for defensive stance, and how to use it for this specific mission.
[right][snapback]66261[/snapback][/right]
This works for me in instances:
1. revenge 2. sudern 3. taunt 4. shild block 5. shild bash - those are my only hotkeys and it works quite nice:P i manage to hit my other skills with mouse^^
1. overpower 2. sundern 3. clave in battle stance
1. pummel 2. wihrlwind 3. clave-zerk stance
Mak,Apr 3 2005, 06:54 PM Wrote:This works for me in instances:
1. revenge 2. sudern 3. taunt 4. shild block 5. shild bash - those are my only hotkeys and it works quite nice:P i manage to hit my other skills with mouse^^
1. overpower 2. sundern 3. clave in battle stance
1. pummel 2. wihrlwind 3. clave-zerk stance
[right][snapback]72879[/snapback][/right]

I'll toss out my stance bars for kicks, since some might find them interesting.

Battle Stance
1: Overpower
2: Charge
3: Mortal Strike
4: Piercing Howl
5: Thunder Clap
6: Execute (bound to Mouse5)
7: Cleave
8: Demoralizing Shout
9: Battle Shout
0: War Stomp
-: Macro
=: Macro (bound to Mouse4)

Defensive Stance
1: Revenge
2: Shield Block
3: Sunder Armor
5: Rend
6: Shield Bash (bound to Mouse5)
7: Taunt
-: Disarm
=: Challenging Shout (bound to Mouse4)

Berserker Stance
1: Whirlwind
2: Intercept
3: Mortal Strike
5: Pummel
6: Execute (bound to Mouse5)
7: Cleave
-: Berserker Rage
=: Macro (bound to Mouse4)

Bottom-Left Action Bar
1.2: Attack
2.2: Shoot Gun/Bow/Crossbow or Throw
3.2: Sweeping Strikes
4.2: Bloodrage
5.2: Intimidating Shout
6.2: Retaliation
7.2: Recklessness
8.2: Shield Wall
9.2: Ornate Spyglass
0.2: Heavy Runecloth Bandages
-.2: Brown Kodo
=.2: Mocking Blow

Bottom-Right Action Bar
1.3: Major Healing Potions
2.3: Macro
3.3: Macro
4.3: Trinket
5.3: Trinket
6.3: Trinket
7.3: Macro
8.3: Macro
9.3: Macro
0.3: Macro
-.3: Macro
=.3: Macro

As you can see, I try to keep some symmetry to my stance bars to limit confusion in the heat of combat.

You can also see that I frequently change trinkets and use many macros :)
A reader asked how to turn off autoattack. I don't remember, but I'm sure I did it for testing at one time.

How to turn off autoattack? Is it in the registry somewhere?
I think that my hotkey layout is very imperfect:/ but I haven't dueled a lot and never bothered with it much:P But after i pass my RL exams I want to ger more pr() ^^ and try out my quake hotkey system:
w,s,a,d for movement
(i'll roll again to arms couse i love it >>>>prot)
e,r,f,x,space,v,alt,shift,ctrl,caps,q,tab,1,2 maby 3 and 2MB for a total of 17 hotkeys. Those are preaty easy to click and should make game in the heart of combat easier:P Skills can be: MS, charge, intercept, pumel, bash, demo, exec, HS, sunder, piercing, hamstrike, bloodrage, rend, overpower, disarm, thunder clap = 17 other can be clickable as u dont use them very often. Sadly getting familiar to this will prolly take me weeks, and not confusing with pve even more^^ Anyone tried something like this? Any thoughts?
Ynir,Apr 4 2005, 09:26 AM Wrote:A reader asked how to turn off autoattack. I don't remember, but I'm sure I did it for testing at one time.

How to turn off autoattack? Is it in the registry somewhere?
[right][snapback]72911[/snapback][/right]
The "T" key toggles autoattack on and off.
Intolerant monkey.