Boats from Menethil to Auberdine removed
Blizzard announced they've removed the boat from Menethil Harbor to Auberdine on the following servers:
  • Lightbringer<>
  • Cenarius<>
  • Uther<>
  • Kilrogg<>
  • Proudmoore<>
  • Hyjal<>
  • Frostwolf<>
  • Ner'zhul<>
  • Kil'Jaeden<>
  • Blackrock<>
  • Tichondrius<>
  • Silver Hand<>
  • Doomhammer<>
  • Icecrown<>
  • Deathwing<>
  • Kel'Thuzad<>
  • Destromath<>
  • Gorgonnash<>
  • Dethecus<>
  • Spinebreaker<>
    [st]
    They've been replaced by NPCs that you talk to for your travel needs instead. Makes me glad I decided to move my characters off of Spinebreaker and Tichondrius a while ago. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
\o/ Back to Beta! :w00t:
Tal,Jan 21 2005, 09:00 AM Wrote:\o/ Back to Beta!&nbsp; :w00t:
[right][snapback]66047[/snapback][/right]
What's even better about this is the NPCs are apparently (just going by say-so here since I don't have chars on any of thsoe servers) level 40, PvP enabled, and non-elite. That's just begging to have them killed.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Jan 21 2005, 08:31 AM Wrote:What's even better about this is the NPCs are apparently (just going by say-so here since I don't have chars on any of thsoe servers) level 40, PvP enabled, and non-elite.&nbsp; That's just begging to have them killed.
[right][snapback]66051[/snapback][/right]

The night elf on the Auberdine docks on Proudmoore is level 60, non-elite and PVP enabled. This ensures that the Horde can't take the boat to Menethil, and gives the Horde every reason to attack him. At the very least these NPC's need to be usable by both factions.

This is a poorly thought out solution to the current server problems, and I'm guessing that this weekend will see more downtime as they rethink it. Blizzard also decided to apply this fix at 6:15 PM PST, prime gaming time for this server. The server was still down when I checked at 9:45, before giving up any hope of gaming for the evening.

Didn't we already have a fairly extensive beta test?

-DarkCrown
DarkCrown,Jan 21 2005, 10:21 AM Wrote:The night elf&nbsp; on the Auberdine docks on Proudmoore is level 60, non-elite and PVP enabled.
[right][snapback]66055[/snapback][/right]
Ah. That's why I saw conflicting reports of the level. Captain Placeholder in Menethil is level 40, but Captain Noteo is 60. More people said 40 than 60 so I went with that number and was sure to note that it was just hearsay. Thanks for helping clear things up.
Intolerant monkey.
There is already mass Captain Placeholder/Noteo griefing going on.
Since these are the servers that were down for extensive maintainance, I am told two things from this.

1) They tried fixing the boat-drop bug, and the servers with extended maintainance got the update.
2) Their fix failed horribly, helping lead to the problems of the past week on said maintainanced servers.

I've seen companies try to fix issues and end up making it worse, but Blizzard hasn't been one of those companies (I'm ignoring balance here). They must really be under stress trying to work on this if they're slipping in QA when it comes to stability.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,Jan 21 2005, 10:53 AM Wrote:Since these are the servers that were down for extensive maintainance, I am told two things from this.

1) They tried fixing the boat-drop bug, and the servers with extended maintainance got the update.
2) Their fix failed horribly, helping lead to the problems of the past week on said maintainanced servers.

I've seen companies try to fix issues and end up making it worse, but Blizzard hasn't been one of those companies (I'm ignoring balance here).&nbsp; They must really be under stress trying to work on this if they're slipping in QA when it comes to stability.
[right][snapback]66072[/snapback][/right]

What I guess is this:

The servers which had extended maintenance had parallel servers added. One of the problems with this new configuration is this boat trip. Makes me think that perhaps one of the server divisions is per continent. This being the most frequently traveled boat route (is it? I don't really know) they axed it temporarily while they try to work things out.
So, based on what I've seen, the extended maintenance was for adding servers, which worked, but created back end DB communication issues, especially on the high pop servers (thus server queues). They then discovered the boat issues (the servers that got the extended maintenance were a slightly different list than the ones that went down for the boat change). I'm guessing something they did with the boat change didn't go as expected because it took much longer than it should have.
vor_lord,Jan 21 2005, 01:01 PM Wrote:What I guess is this:

The servers which had extended maintenance had parallel servers added.&nbsp; One of the problems with this new configuration is this boat trip.&nbsp; Makes me think that perhaps one of the server divisions is per continent.&nbsp; This being the most frequently traveled boat route (is it?&nbsp; I don't really know) they axed it temporarily while they try to work things out.
[right][snapback]66075[/snapback][/right]

I am fairly sure that the continents have always been each on their own server. The question is, what makes Menethil to Auberdine significantly different from Menethil to Theramore?
Raziel,Jan 21 2005, 11:24 AM Wrote:There is already mass Captain Placeholder/Noteo griefing going on.
[right][snapback]66064[/snapback][/right]
Well, at least Blizzard is now thinking about doing something about the griefing. I'm not sure why they didn't think about making the NPCs invulnerable in the first place, but eh.

Edit: Updated post about the teleporting NPCs - they made the NPCs friendly to both Horde and Alliance in order to make them effectively invulnerable.
Intolerant monkey.