Help with Audio Output on computer
I've been trying to research video and audio cards for computers but every site I’ve been to is extremely vague on output specifics. I'm trying to output music from my computer to my Bose Lifestyle home sound system so I can hear the mp3's throughout the house instead of threw the dinky satellite speakers squeezed next to the computer in the den! The reasons I'd like to do this are:

1. I can't really afford the newest Bose Lifestyle receivers that hold 10,000 mp3's
2. I hate having to change the CD's every time a CD ends
3. I enjoy organizing my favorite songs into groups of several hundred and randomly playing all of them at once
4. I very much like WMP's Battery Randomization view with the music while I randomly stroll threw the computer room
5. The Bose system outputs to several rooms in the house and fills each room with sound; the computer amplifies only a small part of a small room and the sound quality is sub-par at best - and even it were good, its no match for a home entertainment sound system

Now I thought most video cards had audio output as well as video output, however neither ATI or NVidia is willing to share their output properties with me (at least not on their web-site). Sound Blaster was much more generous with its output specifics, but why get a dedicated soundcard if I can get a fantastic video + sound card that outputs both video and audio to my entertainment center? I'm writing as I'm thinking here so if what I say sounds cognitively incorrect, please forgive me.

Also, the Sound Blaster has a Digital Audio out which would be nice, but the video cards have TV-tuners in them (bye, bye Tivo), High-Def tuners (would be a nice feature in the future), and it would be fun to output to my television, home speakers, and sit on my couch with my wireless keyboard and mouse playing Doom 3 or Halflife 2. Decisions, decisions... But I really can't choose until I know what exactly the outputs of these hardware devices are... argh!!!

Thanks ahead of time for any replies, Lurkers.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I think what you really want would be a digital connection from your sound card to your receiver. I believe those Bose systems can take coaxial or optical inputs, but check to make sure. It is possible that your computer is already capable of this, as many onboard solutions now have digital outs. Otherwise, a pretty cheap soundcard will probably do the job well enough for your purposes. If you can take an optical connection, you could go with something like Chaintech's AV710 (apx. $25 US). No matter what solution you go with, you will need to buy the appropriate cable unless you have it already.

If you would really like special sound effects in games that support EAX (e.g. echoing sound in caves in D2), then it may be worthwhile to pay a bit more and get an Audigy-series card from Creative. On the cheaper (non-platinum) version of these cards, the digital out is a mini-jack like you would find on your headphones. You can connect this to a coaxial in using a special cable, or you can just use a regular coaxial (RCA) cable and hook a mono/phono adapter to one end. Other than EAX and other hardware accelerated gaming affects, there would be no reason for you to go this route.

Get a video card only if you would like better video capabilities, but don't expect it to do what you want in terms of audio playback.
MEAT,Jan 20 2005, 04:57 PM Wrote:I've been trying to research video and audio cards for computers but every site I’ve been to is extremely vague on output specifics.  I'm trying to output music from my computer to my Bose Lifestyle home sound system so I can hear the mp3's throughout the house instead of threw the dinky satellite speakers squeezed next to the computer in the den!
<snip>
Thanks ahead of time for any replies, Lurkers.
[right][snapback]65972[/snapback][/right]

Have you looked at an Airport Express, or a Roku Soundbridge, or a Squeezebox? All those get your music through your LAN, avoiding any need for extra in-computer gear. I'm not up to date on the Soundbridge or the Slimserver, but I use an Airport Express; it's got both analog and optical outputs.

Edit: Added links. Click on!
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Jan 21 2005, 10: Wrote:Have you looked at an Airport Express, or a Roku Soundbridge, or a Squeezebox? All those get your music through your LAN, avoiding any need for extra in-computer gear. I'm not up to date on the Soundbridge or the Slimserver, but I use an Airport Express; it's got both analog and optical outputs.

Edit: Added links. Click on!
[right][snapback]66062[/snapback][/right]

Oh WOW! That Airport Express + iTunes is incredible! And its wireless :D . I think I'll definitely be getting that device. I just wonder what "remote speakers" are. You probably have to define them with Airport Express software. And the fact that you can extend your wireless network's range... just WOW! I got to hand it to Mac for making some great products. Its too bad their computers suck ;) ; well, I'm only partially kidding here - Mac software is generally highly intuitive WYSIWYG, but I prefer PC's for their customizability and versatility.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, and for the links.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Jan 20 2005, 04:57 PM Wrote:Now I thought most video cards had audio output as well as video output, however neither ATI or NVidia is willing to share their output properties with me (at least not on their web-site).[right][snapback]65972[/snapback][/right]
Just out of curiosity, where in the world did you hear that? No video card made today has an audio chip on it, they're already too cluttered with the gpu and memory (and all those other little things that make video work). The closest I've seen to what you described would be a motherboard with integrated audio and video. Most new motherboards have an optical output on them, also.

Quote:it would be fun to output to my television
FYI, video output to a tv is still rather poor in quality compared to a monitor designed for computers. That'll probably change in a few years with further techy developments on plasma and video cards, but neither nvidia or ati actually seem interested in developing computer/tv connections at the moment. Maybe once they make their gpus that can run Doom 3 at 500 fps... Also fyi, LCD monitors are still too slow for gaming when you go larger than a 17" (I think the fastest 19" lcd is still over 20ms... Edit: Ok, so I saw a 19" at 16ms. No idea about the quality though, it's from a namebrand I've never heard of.). That's going to change within the next year, though.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm