Songs That Make You Weep
It has been a few years, but every so often, a song comes on the radio that makes me pull the car over to the side of the road and weep.

Driving home from delivring my daughter to an event tonight, the radio was playing

Grand Funk Railroad

The song:Closer to Home (Live version from the album "Caught In The Act.")

I had to pull over to the side of the road, partially in shock, since that number is rarely played anymore, and partly from the emotion it evoked. One of the first albums I ever bought with my own money, waaaaaaaay back when I was a teenager.

What songs bring tears to your eyes?

One of the others that always gets me is "And the Band Played Waltzing Matidla."

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
edit
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
A quick trip down memory lane: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index...topic=1139

I don't recall crying over a song in quite a while. Right now it would probably take something with some personal significance, like Amazing Grace or the Navy Hymn.
Jeff Buckley's "Grace" album. It's such a beautiful, powerful album. It really will bring a tear to your eye.

Many of Tori Amos's songs.

Radiohead - "Lurgee" "Street Spirit" "Let Down" "No Surprises" "How to dissapear completely" "Pyramid Song" :)

David Bowie - "Life On Mars?" "Quicksand" "Five Years" "Starman" - All brilliant songs.

U2 "One" - Doesn't make me cry, but still very touching.
This post does not exist.

-degrak
Using more than one question mark does not make it anymore of a question.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Pearl Jam - Black
My favorite song of all time, and I was suprised to find out it's my stepfather's favorite also.

The Midnight Clear album, a completely instrumental Christmas CD, can also get me.

Other songs that effect me are Pearl Jam's Garden, Eagles - Hotel California, The Offspring's Dirty Magic, and The Smashing Pumpkin's Mayonaise. These are songs that can pull at me, get a little quiver going, especially Dirty Magic and Mayonaise, but nothing like Black.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Pearl Jam - Jeremy

One of my two best friends in high school was Jeremy #1 (lastname withheld). My other best friend was Jeremy #2 (lastname withheld). All three of us would hang out together constantly. We were inseparable. We'd skip classes togther, we'd get drunk together, we'd go to local strip joints together, you name it. We did together what all up-to-no-good youngsters did.

The theme song of our ragtag group was Pearl Jam's Jeremy. I guess I was the honourary "Jeremy" (my name is not Jeremy).

When high school ended, Jeremy #1 took a trip away to do some mountain climbing. He got a job in a resort hotel in the mountains. We kept in touch, but not nearly as much as we should have. I still kept in touch with Jeremy #2, and I still do to this day (I was his best man at his wedding, and he was mine. Our children have a lot of fun when we get together).

Jeremy #1 died while doing some recreational mountain climbing. He fell a long way down. He was in his early twenties. I really miss him. We had a lot of good times together.

Yeah, I understand what the lyrics of Jeremy are all about. It doesn't matter.
"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us...."

The emotion... the lyrics.. the lilting melody... I'm having a hard time holding back the tears as I type this.

;)

(How many of us are even old enough to remember this? or have they used it more recently than I thought?)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Nystul,Jan 19 2005, 08:30 PM Wrote:A quick trip down memory lane: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index...topic=1139

I don't recall crying over a song in quite a while.  Right now it would probably take something with some personal significance, like Amazing Grace or the Navy Hymn.
[right][snapback]65909[/snapback][/right]

By Navy Hymn, do you refer to "Eternal Father?"

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
LochnarITB,Jan 19 2005, 11:14 PM Wrote:"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us...."

The emotion... the lyrics.. the lilting melody... I'm having a hard time holding back the tears as I type this.

;)

(How many of us are even old enough to remember this? or have they used it more recently than I thought?)
[right][snapback]65919[/snapback][/right]

I remember the jingle, but it evokes litt emore than a faint feeling of nausea. :blink:

"At McDonald's, we do it all for you" and "Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too" were of the same adverstising era.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jan 20 2005, 09:16 AM Wrote:By Navy Hymn, do you refer to "Eternal Father?"

Occhi
[right][snapback]65930[/snapback][/right]

That's the one. In kind of an odd tradition, my marching band would sing and play a rendition of this hymn as a warmup before football games. I'm not in a navy family, but the song always connected on a much broader level. 9/11/01 was, amongst other things, a grueling 9-hour day of marching band tryouts, and that day is now part of the memories this song stirs up for me.
This post does not exist.

-degrak
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have

I'm not a crier. I've had friends tell me that's a problem, and perhaps in some ways it is, but it's been years since I've shed a tear. This song just has so much power to it, and the recent acoustic version on the "Still" release sends shivers down my spine at one point. Just very powerful.
See you in Town,
-Z
Occhidiangela,Jan 19 2005, 06:18 PM Wrote:It has been a few years, but every so often, a song comes on the radio that makes me pull the car over to the side of the road and weep.

Driving home from delivring my daughter to an event tonight, the radio was playing

Grand Funk Railroad 

The song:Closer to Home  (Live version from the album "Caught In The Act.")

I had to pull over to the side of the road, partially in shock, since that number is rarely played anymore, and partly from the emotion it evoked.  One of the first albums I ever bought with my own money, waaaaaaaay back when I was a teenager. 

One of the others that always gets me is "And the Band Played Waltzing Matidla."
Occhi
[right][snapback]65906[/snapback][/right]

Tears in Heaven by Clapton. This was written by him after his son died. Same goes for All my Love by Zeppelin. This was written after Robert Plant's son died.

I hope I never have to know the feeling.

-A
Over time, every song looses its luster in my heart, but there are songs that still have an affect on me whenever I hear them:

Top 10 (In-order of importance)
CD/Artist/Song
1.) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers / Unknown / Gollums Song
2.) Lord of the Rings: Return of the King / Unknown / "Credits Song"
3.) Pretty Hate Machine / Nine Inch Nails / Something I Can Never Have
4.) Jar of Flies / Alice in Chains / Don't Follow
5.) Ten / Peral Jam / Alive
6.) MTV Unplugged in New York / Nirvana / All Apologies
7.) Pablo Honey / Radio Head / Creep
8.) Little Earthquakes /Tori Amos / Silent all These Years
9.) Greatest Hits /Queen / Bohemian Rhapsody (only when I think of Freddy Mercury's life and death)
10.) MTV Unplugged in New York / Nirvana / Where Did You Sleep Last Night
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:2.) Lord of the Rings: Return of the King / Unknown / "Credits Song"
The song at the end of Return of the King is Annie Lennox singing "Into The West." It is a great lullaby.

Quote:9.) Greatest Hits /Queen / Bohemian Rhapsody (only when I think of Freddy Mercury's life and death)

Freddy Mercury lived fast, died young, and left a good(?) looking corpse. His body of work with Queen was impressive, no question.

"Who wants to live forever?"

(I am pretty sure I am not the only one who found some irony in that, one of his many 'signature lyrics,' performed for the Highlander soundtrack.)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Occhidiangela,Jan 20 2005, 02:18 AM Wrote:What songs bring tears to your eyes?

That would be The Waterboys: Fisherman's Blues. Normally, I'm a very optimistic person not prone to becoming depressive, but when this song is played I get all melancholic, in a good kind of way. Suddenly, I yearn for distant lands so much my heart aches, I feel confined and want to stop working/driving at once and leave the house/car to just wander aimlessly around through nature, away from civilization.

It's amazing what the right music can do to you. And I really, really hope I'll never become deaf.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
This here song always turns me into a softie whenever I hear it (althought its not played on "pop" radio channels).
It's called "Du Måste Finnas" and is part of a musical called "Kristina från Duvemåla". Roughly translated from swedish it's "You must exist" from "Kristina from Duvemåla" and is a very sad and emotional musical that describes swedish immigrants to the promised land, America.

The song is sung by the actress who plays Kristina in a moment where she is told that she is unable to have any more children, and if she does she will surely die while giving birth. Even writing about it turns my eyes all misty. It's a tragical song, a song she directs to God. "You must exist" or You must be there is a plead, a cry for help. A question of why, why this, why now and why me.
She and her family has gone through so much misery and pain and now that is also put upon her.

It is breathtaking to hear her sing it. When I sat in the theatre and watched it I just broke down and wept. I have a religion myself and that song was just so close to my heart it was uncanny. And sure enough, glancing around the surrounding chairs I saw alot of people reaching for their hankies so I was not the only one moved by her performance.

I doubt there is an english version of the song, it has to be heard in the original context. So, all of you: go learn swedish and then you can ask me to stream you the song on shoutcast ;)
I got the musical albums on my way out of the theatre, ofcourse. :blush:

*wipes eyes and smiles sheepishly*

I just love that song. But sometimes it is too sad to bear..

Edit: Tommy Körberg and his "Stad i ljus" is also what I consider a lifter of spirits. An excellent song and tribute to what could be, the human strength and so on. Again, it's in Swedish so tough luck :)

-Al
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
MEAT,Jan 20 2005, 11:40 PM Wrote:CD/Artist/Song
1.) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers / Unknown / Gollums Song

Composed by Howard Shore and sung by Torrinim Emiliana, I agree that it is a powerful song; definitely my favorite from the three movies.

It is in my list in the other thread, as are your numbers 9 and 10.
-degrak
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Howdy,

For some reason I feel somehow deeply connected to Sebadoh's "Wiling to Wait".
I heard it on my local station back in the day, and actually called the station to find out who performed it due to my not paying attention to the DJ. To this day I haven't heard a piece of music that moves me so.

Scotty

Occhidiangela,Jan 19 2005, 08:18 PM Wrote:It has been a few years, but every so often, a song comes on the radio that makes me pull the car over to the side of the road and weep.

Grand Funk Railroad 

The song:Closer to Home  (Live version from the album "Caught In The Act.")

I had to pull over to the side of the road, partially in shock, since that number is rarely played anymore, and partly from the emotion it evoked.  One of the first albums I ever bought with my own money, waaaaaaaay back when I was a teenager. 

Occhi
[right][snapback]65906[/snapback][/right]
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon