Character migration coming
Quote:[Character migration]
We plan to offer a 1 time migration from high population realms to low peopulation realms to ease the overcrowding. It is currently undergoing implementation/testing. More details to follow.
I'm not sure this would be a solution for a large guild, but for individuals and small guilds a realm switch might be just what the doctor ordered. I wouldn't really mind if the Basin brass decided to switch from Stormrage, as long as some of the other fun guilds like the Lurkers and GoE came, too. In the meantime, I suspect that there's more to the server problems than just population load.

My first question would be whether they would allow switching from PvE to PvP servers. Troublefree levelling and item farming on PvE servers would give such switchers a brief initial advantage in gear, but on the other hand they wouldn't be used to the rough and tumble of life on a PvP server. It should be a wash.

The complete announcement, including this tidbit is here.
Stormrage: Rocdog - Night Elf Hunter - Skinning/Leatherworking
Stormrage: Bait - Human Warrior - Herbalism/Alchemy
So much for our little server remaining so little. Would be nice if some of the Tichondrites came down here, though :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I would prefer to stay on a high population server where there will be a larger player pool to choose from when it comes time for 40-player raids.
MongoJerry,Jan 18 2005, 05:29 PM Wrote:I would prefer to stay on a high population server where there will be a larger player pool to choose from when it comes time for 40-player raids.
[right][snapback]65808[/snapback][/right]
That's not really a population issue, that's a player skill / player dedication issue. You can easily have a low population server with the necessary players to do high end raids.

Personally I am glad this is coming about since I know I'll see some friends move onto Mal'Ganis. I don't know if I'll move my character off Illidan, though that server is pretty awful.
My other mount is a Spiderdrake
It seems to me that I would hold off before jumping ship. Based on blizzard posts (and I'll admit just some well-founded guesses), my summary of the recent events follows. I'm on one of the more affected servers. If anyone can add to this or refute parts please do so.

1. Certain high population servers had nagging repeated lag issues, especially with the loot, mail, and auction systems. I found these problems minor annoyances, but since they scaled with population I'm sure Blizzard was quite worried about them.

2. In an attempt to resolve this, Blizzard (on thursday Jan 13) took some (I believe 16) and did some major maintenance. This major maintenance was to bring into play parallel hardware for these realms (see Blizzard post).

3. As with many hardware upgrades (and there would need to be software at least turned on to support the parallel hardware), there have been some problems on the realms which suffered this process. On Doomhammer at least, there have been major instability issues. We spent about 20 minutes where 4/5 of our party in Razorfen Kraul lagged out, then everything caught up and we had a fine run on Friday night, for example. Saturday night there was a period of about 2 hours where nothing could be done on our server at all. I started an alt on Bloodscalp during this time (as did many others judging by how crowded things were in the Tirisfal Glades).

4. As a stopgap, Blizzard lowered the population cap on these servers to try and keep them more stable. Most reports don't seem to indicate that the queues helped a great deal, but it sure called a lot of attention to the problems. For most people this was the first time the queues had been seen and massive outrage resulted.

5. Now as a result of player demand, they will be implementing some kind of server migration.

6. They are still working on getting the issues worked out for the realms that are now running additional hardware.

While I don't disagree in principle with a server move (now I wish I'd started on Stormrage after all), I am not going to jump the gun seeing as we have only had a few days of real trouble. Who knows, maybe once they work out their issues the higher pop servers (with the increased hardware) might be better than others? Plus there will be a mass exodus from them, reducing their populations anyway.

I'll probably stick tight--I doubt they'll let me move to an even higher server (stormrage) and that seems to be the only real reason I have to move.
I think that part of the server load problem is directly tied to Blizzard's lack of a coherent PVP ruleset. I started on Crushridge, and still have a lvl 35 hunter there. PVP servers are a wall to wall gankfest and corpse camping party, which indicates why 90% of them have a low population. That unused capacity could take strain off the PvE servers if there were any kind of deterrent to those actions. Blizzard hasnt shown any signs of taking those steps though.
Sled

How can you come to know yourself? Never by thinking, always by doing. Try to do your duty, and you'll know right away what you amount to.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I would love to see some lurkers move onto Tichondrius. :) It's lonely here.

I'm happy where I am right now.

The ganking is bad on Tichondrius but I don't have a whole lot of problems with being killed. Tonight was my first time in Hillsbrad though and I took a beating there.

So far, Ashenvale and Stonetalon have been great with minimal alliance presence. I guess I will have to wait and see how the PvP goes at the higher levels. Really wish they would put the "Honor System" in, but that is a topic for a different discussion.

So, I think I am staying put unless The Basin decides to move off Tichondrius.

Smithy
Sled,Jan 20 2005, 08:45 PM Wrote:I think that part of the server load problem is directly tied to Blizzard's lack of a coherent PVP ruleset. I started on Crushridge, and still have a lvl 35 hunter there. PVP servers are a wall to wall gankfest and corpse camping party, which indicates why 90% of them have a low population. That unused capacity could take strain off the PvE servers if there were any kind of deterrent to those actions. Blizzard hasnt shown any signs of taking those steps though.
[right][snapback]65993[/snapback][/right]

The solution to ganking is to join a guild with friendly players who will fight beside you, even if it's an uphill battle. Bloodscalp has many of these guilds on the Horde side, with The Gang being the most prominent.

Also, ganking isn't a big problem - when you joined a PvP server, you knew damn well what that meant, and whining about ganking is pretty damn stupid. Now, I'm not directing this at you, Sled (since I'm not sure if Crushridge is PvP or PvE, and I wouldn't flame a fellow Lurker either way), but there have been lots of people whining about ganking on PvP servers.

People say ganking is such a bad thing, but I frankly think it's kinda amusing. I don't attack gray-cons, but I KOS anything green or higher, though I generally alert them to my presence and give them a chance to patch up before I take action.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Absolutely correct in that I thought I knew what I was getting into. I started on Crushridge on day 1, thinking that Blizz would make good on their promise of an honor system that would discourage juvenile behavior. I was certainly wrong on that count, and when I realized it I packed up and began anew on stormrage. Guilds aren't a solution to the problem, just a workaround. There is enough forced grouping in the game via instances and elite quests without forcing a player to team or wait inside a safe zone until the ganker (20+ levels higher and usually on a mount) waiting outside gets bored and moves on.

The point of my post was that Blizzard is going to have unused capacity until they provide a reasonable environment on PVP servers. When Blizzard provides that, you will see more people using the PVP servers. I may even dust off my Crushridge hunter again.
Sled

How can you come to know yourself? Never by thinking, always by doing. Try to do your duty, and you'll know right away what you amount to.

My PvP server is packed.
Artega,Jan 18 2005, 02:53 PM Wrote:So much for our little server remaining so little.  Would be nice if some of the Tichondrites came down here, though :)
[right][snapback]65801[/snapback][/right]

I play on Tichondrius now and again, but am so low in level I won't be much help.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
There really don't seem to be all that many Lurkers on Tichondrius. Every time I log on there the Lurker channel is empty.
Ghostiger,Jan 21 2005, 12:53 PM Wrote:My PvP server is packed.
[right][snapback]66073[/snapback][/right]

Whoopdy-do. He said "90% of all PvP servers have a Low population count". You're one of the unlucky 10%. Deal.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Arnath,Jan 21 2005, 08:34 PM Wrote:There really don't seem to be all that many Lurkers on Tichondrius. Every time I log on there the Lurker channel is empty.
[right][snapback]66086[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, me too. For all the time I spent on there (not for a while now), I got used to the only people ever on being me, Neriad, Stark, and occasionaly Boutros.

The place was packed, just not many Lurkers. That may have changed recently, but I've been playing elsewhere after I hit level 23 and decided that playing a mage outside of a party is annoying.
Go away and dont say stupid things.

If 10% of the PvP servers are over crowded and 90% ar empty that means much more than 10% of the PvP players are on crowded servers.

Also my guess is that the numbers you are defending are completely unrealistic. I dont have real numbers to prove it either way, but it was fair for me to give my relevent personal experience.

Really Roland you have become a much worse troll than I ever could have been. People here are talking about their experiences in game. I notice you arent telling other "deal".
Roland,Jan 21 2005, 07:56 PM Wrote:Whoopdy-do. He said "90% of all PvP servers have a Low population count". You're one of the unlucky 10%. Deal.
[right][snapback]66105[/snapback][/right]

Put apology here Roland.

I just logged on WoW and counted the PvP servers(its possible Im off by 1 or 2 I missed when scrolling).

18 - High population
6 - medium population
16 - low population

Its possible there are some variables I have missed but the situation does not even vaguely resemble the lie I refuted with my annecdote.

Im sick of a the few of you who make up the old buddy clique here(notice I didnt say old timers, as I have been here longer than many of you). You play a complete double standard gamme on posting.
Occhidiangela,Jan 21 2005, 02:08 PM Wrote:I play on Tichondrius now and again, but am so low in level I won't be much help.

Occhi
[right][snapback]66078[/snapback][/right]

You're also dirty Alliance scum, but it would be nice to have competent opponents from time to time.

As for ganking, I've adapted to it. Sure, the first time I got ganked, I was whining about how it was totally unfair, and so on, but I got used to it and did a little ganking of my own to get even. I dare say it's fun. As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it.

To Roland: I don't know what your problem is with Ghostiger, but please don't flame him or troll him. He made a completely valid response, and you try to bite his head off. If you've got issues with him, take it to PMs, but don't turn a good thread into a flamefest <_<

Also: 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Perhaps I should clarify a bit. When I grew tired of the unreasonable environment of the PvP server I was on, I looked for a low pop PvE server to start again on. Unfortunately all of the low pop servers were PvP. All PvE or Roleplay servers were either medium or high. The impression that gave me was the incorrect 90 percent. I'll accept the numbers listed above and modify the PvP servers to about 45 percent low pop, along with the requisite serving of crow. Compared to zero percent of PvE and RP servers that are low pop, I think the point still stands that Blizzard's PvP policy (or the lack thereof) is leading to unused capacity on a significant portion of their servers.

As for the ganking, I consider that about as much fun (and as much of a challenge) as kicking a puppy. With all due respect, don't let the juveniles drag you down to their level.
Sled

Artega,Jan 21 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:You're also dirty Alliance scum, but it would be nice to have competent opponents from time to time.

As for ganking, I've adapted to it.&nbsp; Sure, the first time I got ganked, I was whining about how it was totally unfair, and so on, but I got used to it and did a little ganking of my own to get even.&nbsp; I dare say it's fun.&nbsp; As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it.

To Roland: I don't know what your problem is with Ghostiger, but please don't flame him or troll him.&nbsp; He made a completely valid response, and you try to bite his head off.&nbsp; If you've got issues with him, take it to PMs, but don't turn a good thread into a flamefest <_<

Also:&nbsp; 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
[right][snapback]66126[/snapback][/right]

Excuse me, pal, since when is a troll Alliance?

Competence?

I don't play enough to have it.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Roland,Jan 21 2005, 06:56 PM Wrote:Whoopdy-do. He said "90% of all PvP servers have a Low population count". You're one of the unlucky 10%. Deal.
[right][snapback]66105[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm.

Too much caffeine, Roland?

Ghostiger was right to take that as a personal shot out of thread context. I encourage you to make peace with him on this score . . . PM probably a place to start in order not to risk contaminating the thread.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete