Preparing for the arrival of my copy of WoW.
Hey,

Well, I was looking at trying to prepare as much as possible for when I get the game so I won't have to sit through hours and hours of patching from their server. I have seen torrents of beta client patches but I am unsure on patches for the retail game.

What is the current version of the game? Know any 3rd party site that hosts the patch file for that version? Can I upgrade directly to that version or do I need a pre-patch of sorts?

And oh, I'm getting it from NZ, so I'm guessing it's the same as the US retail, correct?

-Al, trying to limit the amount of needless patching when he wants to P L A A A Y!!

(edit: I found - after a while - a torrent site that had the US patches that would take it up to 1.2.1 - this is the latest yes?)
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
Hmmm, you're in Europe and you're getting the US version? Are you sure this is o.k since I know for a fact that European clients are banned (for now) from US servers and I'm not sure the US version matches the Euro version that you need for the european servers.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Jan 17 2005, 06:03 PM Wrote:Hmmm, you're in Europe and you're getting the US version? Are you sure this is o.k since I know for a fact that European clients are banned (for now) from US servers and I'm not sure the US version matches the Euro version that you need for the european servers.
[right][snapback]65608[/snapback][/right]
Well, I will (when I have to provide credit card info) provide a US billing adress.
It is not used for anything but location verification and I have relatives in NY that I have checked with and its ok with them if I give their adress so it should be ok.

Plus I am getting a 2nd copy (from my pre-order in sweden) that should all else fail will be a "proper" eu release.

I'm not too worried. Things will work out.

-Al
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
I think they ban relying on IP addresses as I heard about someone being blocked until he used an anonymous(sp) proxy and then managed to connect to the US servers
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
We have a number of Basin members connecting from Europe. I haven't heard of anyone having any IP-related problems. Reports of IP restrictions are urban legends at this point.

I'm at the office, but I believe that yes, 1.2.1 is the one you want.
Stormrage: Rocdog - Night Elf Hunter - Skinning/Leatherworking
Stormrage: Bait - Human Warrior - Herbalism/Alchemy
rocdog,Jan 17 2005, 08:30 PM Wrote:We have a number of Basin members connecting from Europe.  I haven't heard of anyone having any IP-related problems.  Reports of IP restrictions are urban legends at this point.
[right][snapback]65624[/snapback][/right]

Wha? I've sent an email to Blizzard support asking about this and was said that European residents can not log into US servers.

Anyone from euro can vouch for being able to log into the US servers?
I've logged in to US servers while I was in Ireland over the new year holiday. Banning by IP block would be silly -- this is just a requirement forced upon them by Vivendi and its local distributor agreements, they don't really go out of their way to enforce it. Address verification is about it.
stabby,Jan 17 2005, 09:51 PM Wrote:I've logged in to US servers while I was in Ireland over the new year holiday.  Banning by IP block would be silly -- this is just a requirement forced upon them by Vivendi and its local distributor agreements, they don't really go out of their way to enforce it.  Address verification is about it.
[right][snapback]65639[/snapback][/right]

So, for example, if you change your address to a european country in the account information, only then you won't be able to log in?