Weapon DPS formula
So I have seen snippets of these formulas around, but some information is from the beta (and it has changed) and so I just wanted to post some things that I've verified in game.

BTW, this is just to match what the character screen says. Haven't yet noticed any reason to doubt the character screen in WoW, but remember D2's LCS? So far that's what I'm using as my baseline.

First of all, weapon DPS appears to be calculated thusly:
Code:
((WeaponMin + WeaponMax)/2 * 1/WeaponSpeed) + AttackPower/14

The first interesting thing you'll notice is that Attack Power bonus is not affected by Weapon Speed (and "Speed" is a misnomer as a higher "speed" means a slower weapon, but I'll use the terms as they are in game).

The next question is how to figure out attack power?

I've verified for melee that 1 STR = 2 AttackPower. I've read that 1 AGI = 2 AttackPower for ranged weapons (will verify shortly).

However, what I'm missing is how a "base" attack power is calculated. Does anyone know this? 2*Str is more attack power than I have, so there is something modifying the base that I'm not sure of. Character level is probably involved, weapon skill is certainly involved. I'd like to know how.

Next time I tinker with this I was going to play with brand-new characters (who have a skill level of 1) and see how things change as their weapon skill moves up and their character level moves up.

But if someone already knows then I don't need to :)

Additionally, does anyone know:

How Attack Rating is calculated?

How Attack Rating works with Character Level to determine chance to hit?
vor_lord,Jan 14 2005, 09:54 AM Wrote:So I have seen snippets of these formulas around, but some information is from the beta (and it has changed) and so I just wanted to post some things that I've verified in game.

It just occurred to me that there might be class differences. So I better clarify what I mean when I say "verified":

These numbers seem to match the character screen when looking at melee damage for a paladin or a druid.

I'll try to verify with ranged weapons and different classes when I can but level 1 characters won't work as well for this (how to modify one's str independently when you have no gear)?

Can anyone confirm or disprove my formulas for ranged attacks and/or different classes?
IIRC, Attack is simply the level of your skill with the weapon.

e.g., if your Swords skill was at 244/250, your Attack with Swords would be 244.

No idea how this is used to determine to-hit, but I have a strong hunch it has something to do with Attack vs. Defense.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
vor_lord,Jan 14 2005, 07:54 AM Wrote:However, what I'm missing is how a "base" attack power is calculated.  Does anyone know this?  2*Str is more attack power than I have, so there is something modifying the base that I'm not sure of.  Character level is probably involved, weapon skill is certainly involved.  I'd like to know how.
[right][snapback]65375[/snapback][/right]

It's fairly well established (though Tyren has denied it at length) that Stamina and Intellect gained on level up have absolutely no effect on anything at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if the other stats gained on level up also did nothing. This is purely speculation, but I'd wager attack power is equal to attack power derived from +str on items plus some base amount that is solely depenent on character level, or perhaps character level and class.
vor_lord,Jan 14 2005, 10:59 AM Wrote:It just occurred to me that there might be class differences.  So I better clarify what I mean when I say "verified".
[right][snapback]65376[/snapback][/right]

The only thing I can add to the discussion is that rogues and hunters use a combination of strength and agility to determine their regular attack power (according to the manual anyway). I am not sure if all characters use agility to determine bow/gun/wand attack power, but that would make sense because I think ranged attack power is listed seperately in the character screen.

I am also curious about the formulas for agility contributing to armor, dodging, and crits, strength contributing to damage blocked, and shields' block ratings contributing to block rates, if anyone has any information.