I like Swords!
With apologies to 8-Bit theatre ^_^

Although I was tempted, I decided not to revive this thread, even if the Longue is somewhat lax about that kind of thing, since it's been almost 2 years, heh.

But given that I recently acquired another piece that I didn't know my family had, I though of sharing a few sword pics and stir a bit of conversation about them (hopefuly we'll get some more people to post their own blades, maybe Pete can show us whatever sword he was most fond of when in fencing competitions ;) ).

Here they are, with some detail:

1. This sword belonged to my great-grandfather (on my father's side), who was a Lieutenant-Colonel of the Spanish Republican army. Rather simple, much to my dismay it's gathered some rust since the last time I looked at it (I'll be bringing them to Germany with me soon, for now they're in my parent's place in Madrid), but not as bad as the last pic suggests (the pic is a bit moved), it's been in the MOrocco war and is probably close to 100 years now:

[Image: thumb_sword1_1.jpg]
[Image: thumb_sword1_2.jpg]
[Image: thumb_sword1_3.jpg]

2. My recent "acquisition" (showed up when my parents finished unpacking stuff from their last move :D), my mom's grandfather sword, who was a member of Alfonso XIII's Royal Guard; it is, unfortunately, in dire need of a restoration, which I will hopefuly do when I get them here with me:

[Image: thumb_sword2_1.jpg]
[Image: thumb_sword2_2.jpg]

3. This is the one that doesn't belong to anyone in the family, and I have little clue of how old it is. At the bottom of the blade there's the "Artillery" inscription, a serial number and the origin, "Toledo":

[Image: thumb_sword3_1.jpg]
[Image: thumb_sword3_2.jpg]

So... swords! I was going to bring them with me this Xmas but I couldn't make them fit in any of my bags :lol: I think I need a special one or one of those things used to carry big maps around. I have until February to figure it out (when I fly back to see my newborn Nephew, planned date is the 20th but you never know ;) ).
I own several (ok, too many ;)) swords, but only recreations, some of them already posted in the old thread:

Albion Armorers' Regent Bastard sword:

[Image: regentgesamt9ye.th.jpg]

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?swor_alb_reg_a.jpg

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?swor_alb_reg_f.jpg

Albion Armorers' Duke Longsword:

[Image: duke19su.th.jpg]

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?revie...duke_a.jpg

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?revie...duke_f.jpg

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?revie...duke_d.jpg

Albion Armorers' Clontraf Viking sword:

[Image: senkrecht6ag.th.jpg]

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?revie...clon_f.jpg

http://www.myarmoury.com/view.html?revie...clon_a.jpg

Armourclass Mortuary hilted sword:

[Image: full24ph.th.jpg]

[Image: full1pz.jpg]

Albion Armorers' Riding sword (the smaller one) and Angus Trim 15th Century Single hand sword:

[Image: vergleich8ah.th.jpg]

Vladimir Cervenka Italian Single hand sword:

[Image: italischfull35um.th.jpg]

ArmArt S5A Viking sword:

[Image: s5afull9qh.th.jpg]

and a Kukri by Himalayan Imports:

[Image: kukrifull26ll.th.jpg]
Wow.. Impressive collections, I must say. Really put my two flails from Italy to shame. ;)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
You should go to someone who can teach you how to oil the swords. Those antique ones would be a shame to lose, and if you arent oiling them regularly your practically waiting for them to rust more...
You guys have some nice collections. And I just love that Albion Viking sword :wub: .

I like swords too, and would be a collector if a good quality sword cost something like fifteen dollars. Unfortunately, most armourers charge more than that.

I have found one online site (By-the-Sword.com) that has a Monthly Drawing where they raffle off some swords or armour every month. So until I have the money to buy some swords, I just have to hope someone will give them to me.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
With that title and subtitle I'd have expected better of you. Where are all the Sword-Chucks? :P
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Those are some really nice swords. It's really nice to see something that was actually built for combat rather than display. I like the shape and design of the second one, although the blade looks a little thin for a curved blade sword, at least to me. The first one is good too, looks like it would have made a fairly decent dueling sword.

Walkiry,Jan 14 2005, 09:07 AM Wrote:3. This is the one that doesn't belong to anyone in the family, and I have little clue of how old it is. At the bottom of the blade there's the "Artillery" inscription, a serial number and the origin, "Toledo":
(let me first say that I'm not even close to being a sword scholar) The design on that sword's hilt looks Arabic... I wouldn't even want to try and date it, other than to say it looks pre-Rennaissance.

Quote:So... swords! I was going to bring them with me this Xmas but I couldn't make them fit in any of my bags
Well, at least you didn't try to put them in a carry on. Airport security would have loved that one, granted, they probably wouldn't have found them considering they let bombs go through.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Jan 15 2005, 03:25 PM Wrote:...(let me first say that I'm not even close to being a sword scholar) The design on that sword's hilt looks Arabic...&nbsp; I wouldn't even want to try and date it, other than to say it looks pre-Rennaissance. ...[right][snapback]65510[/snapback][/right]
Umm, it's definitely post-Renaissance. And by that I mean it'd be ahead of its day during the Renaissance itself. And European. Just because it may be arabesque in appearance doesn't mean it isn't the result of a European taking a fancy to Eastern motif.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Walkiry,Jan 14 2005, 09:07 AM Wrote:[right][snapback]65353[/snapback][/right]
You might want to get them apraised, and then, if valuable insured. You never know how much authentic historical pieces may be worth to collectors.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Walkiry,Jan 14 2005, 09:07 AM Wrote:3. This is the one that doesn't belong to anyone in the family, and I have little clue of how old it is. At the bottom of the blade there's the "Artillery" inscription, a serial number and the origin, "Toledo":

Does the blade say "Artillery" or "Artillería" ? I did some quickie online research, and it turns out that Toledo swords were sometimes marked with "Artillería" even when they weren't artillery swords.

Just out of curiosity, what's the serial number on there? You've got me all interested in this thing, and I'd like to see where it's from.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Kartoffelsalat,Jan 17 2005, 07:14 PM Wrote:Does the blade say "Artillery" or "Artillería" ?&nbsp; I did some quickie online research, and it turns out that Toledo swords were sometimes marked with "Artillería" even when they weren't artillery swords.

Just out of curiosity, what's the serial number on there?&nbsp; You've got me all interested in this thing, and I'd like to see where it's from.
[right][snapback]65621[/snapback][/right]

Well, of course, it says Artillería and not Artillery, somethimes I have to remember when it is not such a good idea to translate things :)

Can't give you the serial # until next month when I fly back to Spain to fetch them (as I couldn't bring them with me in the last trip).

As for rust, oiling and such, I most definitely will be taking better care of them once I've got them restored. The one that needs it the most is #2, the first one, despite what it looks like in the picture, is in a nice condition (and being all resin and metal it's much sturdier and easier to clean), but the second has that rope grip and all and I don't want to ruin it even more.

The second one is rather curious, if you look at the blade from the hilt up, it's got no edge for about 2/5 of its length (equally wide on the back and on the front), then the edge starts and for about the last 1/4 it's double-edged. I'm no expert, but I'd wager that the reason it looks a bit too thin is that non-edged base, which should make it sturdier.

Anyway, glad you liked them ^_^

Oh yeah, Haider, I really like that Mortuary hilted sword :)
Walkiry,Jan 18 2005, 04:02 AM Wrote:...The second one is rather curious, if you look at the blade from the hilt up, it's got no edge for about 2/5 of its length (equally wide on the back and on the front), then the edge starts and for about the last 1/4 it's double-edged. I'm no expert, but I'd wager that the reason it looks a bit too thin is that non-edged base, which should make it sturdier. ...
[right][snapback]65729[/snapback][/right]
In other words, an unsharpened shoulder with a false-edged tip. Not all that uncommon in the world of hopologistic...hopological...hopolontolog...*sigh*— sword stuff!
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Haider,Jan 14 2005, 07:38 AM Wrote:Albion Armorers' Regent Bastard sword:
[right][snapback]65365[/snapback][/right]
Time for me to dance the happy dance. I just got my Regent in today. Had it turned through with Christian Fletcher (the same who built a reitschwert guard for my AT1548 Mk.I).

Imagine the depicted weapon with a darkened oxblood grip and blackened crossguard and pommel, mated with a black scabbard and sword belt in black and oxblood.

I venture to say it has, maybe, +174% Damage, +91 ToHit% and Fast Attack Speed. ;)

Sheathing the sucker is going to be some work. My reitschwert's point is like a knife and always threatening to cut into the leather at the mouth of its scabbard, but the Regent's point is a veritable knitting needle. I'm more worried it'll perforate my hand.
Quote:....Imagine the depicted weapon with a darkened oxblood grip and blackened crossguard and pommel, mated with a black scabbard and sword belt in black and oxblood.

I venture to say it has, maybe, +174% Damage, +91 ToHit% and Fast Attack Speed. ;)...
My webspace has gone all wonky on me, preventing new uploads, but the cutler from which I got said sword has recently revamped his site and included photos of customers' orders that passed through his shop.

In the page for the Albion Regent, you'll easily pick out my sword from the above description.

Eh— I'm guessing the reason why mine is the last sword currently displayed is because mine was the most recent customized order. But then again, I'm only guessing there.:mellow:

Okay, I'll admit— it's not a pretty sword. It's not a nice sword. It's cruel-looking. It's a mean sword. It beats up other swords and steals their milk money. It doesn't clean up after itself and never signals before changing lanes. Honest. There's no such thing as a "clean" cut with this sword— one where the candle/watermelon/statue slowly slides off as gravity overcomes friction of a razor-fine cut. The hollow-ground faces and raised spine tend to make dismembered members float or flip away from the body of the target.
heheh... nice. (i need to find some freakin used hotel matresses:))
knock, knock... house keeping :p

Beach California Coast Hotel Long Store