Online ADnD
For those who might still be interested in running an online version of a pen and paper rpg, I will share a few things that I have been using for the past year to run my online ADnD games.

A few notes first:
I run a party of mature, honest players who I entrust to roll real dice (offline). As the DM, I have enough work to do; I don't have time to police players' activities. I use a combination of 1st and 2nd Edition ADnD rules. Most of the people who play are familiar with the rules; some were not but are now, and the game has been running well pretty much from the start. My games stress "role playing" rather than "roll playing".

I think the key to success is having an organized DM. The main parts of the adventure must be detailed before the game session: mapping, storyline, encounters (monsters and NPC's), graphics (optional), treasure etc. I use a lot of puzzles/riddles (perhaps too much) of my own creation that I usually plan in advance, but as in RL games I also improvise. Keep in mind that the more complete your adventure is, the easier it will be to improvise.

1) Chat- Communication is done via a chat program. Any chat program that allows private chats between the DM and players will work. Logs are recorded and archived for those who could not attend a session and for reference. I use IRC.

2) Mapping- This is by far the most important aspect of the game especially during combat. At first, I gave my players a simple system for mapping. It required a bit of work on their part and a lot on mine (as the DM). I later scrapped this system and implemented the use of netmeeting/whiteboard. Any similar program will work.

All of the significant areas of my adventure are mapped out in advance. I use Dungeon Crafter, a freeware program for its simplicity and quality. I also use paintshop. Dungeon graphics are copied and pasted onto whiteboard by the DM in real time. I use colored dots to represent party members and NPCs and each player is responsible for placing his/her dot on the map as accurately as possible. The positions of the NPCs (and monsters) are the responsibility of the DM. Mapping is a vital asset during the game.

3) Encounters- I try to incorporate as many graphics into the game as possible to give it more flavor. There are hundreds of portraits on the WotC site (and the net) for this purpose. These images can be placed into a pdf file and given to players in advance who can refer to it when specified by the DM or the DM can copy/paste the image onto whiteboard at the appropriate time during the game. The pdf file is a good backup when netmeeting fails. I handle all graphics in this manner.

4) Combat- A verbal (chat) and visual (whiteboard) description is given to players. The map eliminates some of the confusion associated with combat sequences. Mapping in this manner is like using miniatures.

5) Information- Only the DM is entitled to view a copy of a player's character sheet. Players are expected to role play their characters and not share any information to other party members other than what is done in-game. All other pertinent game info (campaign background) is revealed in game or on a forum/web site by the DM.

6) Time- Everyone must agree on a time for the game sessions, such as "every Saturday night at 20:00 ET". It is important to have a group of reliable players who will devote a time slot for the game to make it worthwhile for the DM who has invested so much time into preparations. A campaign cannot be run smoothly without a core group of players. Due to differing time zones and RL responsibilities, my game sessions are short (in pnp rpg terms); they are only 3 hours long.

7) Party size- To maintain a high level of "quality time" for each player, I recommend that the party should not be larger than 6, not counting the DM. A party of 7-8 PCs is doable but difficult to manage. Online gaming is more restrictive than RL pnp games so the party size is expectedly smaller. A "hack and slash" style of gaming would allow for larger parties.

As in RL rpgs, online rpgs require a lot of advance planning and work by the DM. During the game session the DM will be very busy, so it is vital that details of the adventure are already done. So far, my experience with online ADnD almost equals the entertainment of a pen and paper session and is worth the time and effort to organize for a good group of players.

Good luck and best wishes,
Xi
Xiuhcoatl,Jan 14 2005, 05:35 AM Wrote:For those who might still be interested in running an online version of a pen and paper rpg, I will share a few things that I have been using for the past year to run my online ADnD games.

A few notes first:
I run a party of mature, honest players who I entrust to roll real dice (offline). As the DM, I have enough work to do; I don't have time to police players' activities. I use a combination of 1st and 2nd Edition ADnD rules. Most of the people who play are familiar with the rules; some were not but are now, and the game has been running well pretty much from the start. My games stress "role playing" rather than "roll playing".

I think the key to success is having an organized DM. The main parts of the adventure must be detailed before the game session: mapping, storyline, encounters (monsters and NPC's), graphics (optional), treasure etc. I use a lot of puzzles/riddles (perhaps too much) of my own creation that I usually plan in advance, but as in RL games I also improvise. Keep in mind that the more complete your adventure is, the easier it will be to improvise.

1) Chat- Communication is done via a chat program. Any chat program that allows private chats between the DM and players will work. Logs are recorded and archived for those who could not attend a session and for reference. I use IRC.

2) Mapping- This is by far the most important aspect of the game especially during combat. At first, I gave my players a simple system for mapping. It required a bit of work on their part and a lot on mine (as the DM). I later scrapped this system and implemented the use of netmeeting/whiteboard. Any similar program will work.

All of the significant areas of my adventure are mapped out in advance. I use Dungeon Crafter, a freeware program for its simplicity and quality. I also use paintshop. Dungeon graphics are copied and pasted onto whiteboard by the DM in real time. I use colored dots to represent party members and NPCs and each player is responsible for placing his/her dot on the map as accurately as possible. The positions of the NPCs (and monsters) are the responsibility of the DM. Mapping is a vital asset during the game.

3) Encounters- I try to incorporate as many graphics into the game as possible to give it more flavor. There are hundreds of portraits on the WotC site (and the net) for this purpose. These images can be placed into a pdf file and given to players in advance who can refer to it when specified by the DM or the DM can copy/paste the image onto whiteboard at the appropriate time during the game. The pdf file is a good backup when netmeeting fails. I handle all graphics in this manner.

4) Combat- A verbal (chat) and visual (whiteboard) description is given to players. The map eliminates some of the confusion associated with combat sequences. Mapping in this manner is like using miniatures.

5) Information- Only the DM is entitled to view a copy of a player's character sheet. Players are expected to role play their characters and not share any information to other party members other than what is done in-game. All other pertinent game info (campaign background) is revealed in game or on a forum/web site by the DM.

6) Time- Everyone must agree on a time for the game sessions, such as "every Saturday night at 20:00 ET". It is important to have a group of reliable players who will devote a time slot for the game to make it worthwhile for the DM who has invested so much time into preparations. A campaign cannot be run smoothly without a core group of players. Due to differing time zones and RL responsibilities, my game sessions are short (in pnp rpg terms); they are only 3 hours long.

7) Party size- To maintain a high level of "quality time" for each player, I recommend that the party should not be larger than 6, not counting the DM. A party of 7-8 PCs is doable but difficult to manage. Online gaming is more restrictive than RL pnp games so the party size is expectedly smaller. A "hack and slash" style of gaming would allow for larger parties.

As in RL rpgs, online rpgs require a lot of advance planning and work by the DM. During the game session the DM will be very busy, so it is vital that details of the adventure are already done. So far, my experience with online ADnD almost equals the entertainment of a pen and paper session and is worth the time and effort to organize for a good group of players.

Good luck and best wishes,
Xi
[right][snapback]65337[/snapback][/right]
That sounds very cool.

Some ideas...

Think about Teamspeak, or Ventrilo as a *real voice chat interface. The quality is very good, and there are many public servers available.

I noticed during the GuildWars WPE's that they have a built in command to roll any sided dice. I could see you using the GW interface as a way to organize, and to find a cozy out of the way corner in a town, have everyone use guild chat or Ventrilo and the built in /Roll 20 commands to keep everyone honest.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Just wanted to put another good word in for the use of a voice program while playing. I use Teamspeak with a group of 8 guys while playing D&D using NWN, and the ability to talk as one would across a table helps out a lot.
See you in Town,
-Z
Actually, something that I find to be quite a bit easier is the use of a roleplay site such as Role Play Online to find/run/play games. Rather than requiring that everyone be online at the same time for each game session, they can post their responses in character. There are personalized portraits that can even be submitted, areas for character sheets that are only viewable by the GM and the player, and enough flexability to run whatever game you want and find players that would normally be unavailible to ya.

Edit: Whoops, its a .net rather than .com, link should be working now.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Urza-DSF,Jan 14 2005, 07: Wrote:Actually, something that I find to be quite a bit easier is the use of a roleplay site such as Role Play Online to find/run/play games.  Rather than requiring that everyone be online at the same time for each game session, they can post their responses in character.  There are personalized portraits that can even be submitted, areas for character sheets that are only viewable by the GM and the player, and enough flexability to run whatever game you want and find players that would normally be unavailible to ya.
[right][snapback]65390[/snapback][/right]

I tried following your link, but I ended up at Rental Properties On-Line. This was not the place you meant, is it? ;)
Most instant messaging programs have a dice rolling system. I used to play with a group of people over AIM (some people used other programs like trillian) and the /roll command worked just fine for everything, you could even roll multiple dice (but they all had to have the same number of sides).

Quote:Rather than requiring that everyone be online at the same time for each game session, they can post their responses in character.
That sounds a lot like a message board system. Those really don't work in a D&D world where you want to have a lot of character interaction.

Quote:My games stress "role playing" rather than "roll playing".
There's a type of rp'ing that I've seen once (and, of course, I can't remember the name, I think it may just be called direct or whatever) where players only make dice rolls inside combat, every other time the dm would just let players do things (within reason) and it would be a judgement call on the dm's part whether to allow it or not.

Quote:5) Information
Heh, we actually used to tell each other quite a bit about our characters (what their actual stats were, skills, feats, etc.) even some secrets about them. Of course, we were all responsible enough to not let any of that into the game itself (we'd be smart but our characters were dumb, I guess you could say).
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Just one question: How do you get Net Meeting to work? I can't seem to connect to anyone using it.
[Image: NewSig.png]
Release your inner dwarf. . .then get him some ale.
WoW Characters:
-Stormrage: Espy, Cafelam, RareCross, EspyLacopa
Wyrm,Jan 14 2005, 07:15 PM Wrote:That sounds a lot like a message board system.  Those really don't work in a D&D world where you want to have a lot of character interaction.
[right][snapback]65428[/snapback][/right]

This I have to disagree with you on this one. I find it allows players to actually come up with constructive and detailed posts about their actions and dialogue without the time constraints of an actual session. Not only that, but it also removes the "other" discussions that pop up during a live/messenger game, such as current events, new games, or gags that pop up.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Zarathustra,Jan 14 2005, 01:49 PM Wrote:Just wanted to put another good word in for the use of a voice program while playing.  I use Teamspeak with a group of 8 guys while playing D&D using NWN, and the ability to talk as one would across a table helps out a lot.
[right][snapback]65387[/snapback][/right]

The sound quality on TeamSpeak is horrible. Ventrilo is much better. :shuriken:
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Dozer,Jan 16 2005, 07:18 PM Wrote:The sound quality on TeamSpeak is horrible. Ventrilo is much better.  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]65574[/snapback][/right]

Absolutely. Ventrilio makes any CO-OP, or head to head game better.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
May I suggest webrpg? It's a java app extremely ideal for online roleplaying. you can get it free at www.webrpg.com . It was pay to play for a while, but now it's free again. it has a very easy to use built-in dice rolling system, possibilities for character sheets being shown and a map with miniatures. I find it very useful, I used to work with it in an old online Earthdawn RPG.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Urza-DSF,Jan 16 2005, 05: Wrote:This I have to disagree with you on this one.  I find it allows players to actually come up with constructive and detailed posts about their actions and dialogue without the time constraints of an actual session.  Not only that, but it also removes the "other" discussions that pop up during a live/messenger game, such as current events, new games, or gags that pop up.
[right][snapback]65564[/snapback][/right]

Messege board style D&D is fun, but I prefer, 1. table-top, 2. modules based on the NWN engine, 3. nothing... because I just can't seem to get into IM style play and I forget the story in a messege board style
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin