The Scarlet Monastery
Ghostiger,Jan 15 2005, 10:45 AM Wrote:If I said that I would be in trouble from about 50 people here.

Yay for biased flamers and biased mods.
In fact I did say that once and was flamed in the extreme. I even got a PM from Griz telling me how bad it was. The funny part was I originally learned the little joke here on th LL.
Anyway I still the the joke is funny.
[right][snapback]65484[/snapback][/right]
I didn't intend that to be a flame, and really the flames came first, such flames as there were. All I did was find it mildly amusing that Rinnhart (whom I did not mean to insult, if I did) was arguing on the internet and had a quip about arguing on the internet in his sig, and pointed it out. I wasn't accusing anyone of belonging in the special olympics, I just saw irony and called it.

What do you have against the special olympics? :)
The error occurred on line -1.
I dodnt mean that you were flaming him.

I meanr that particular anecdote put me in hot water.
Breaking the pattern of this thread, I have something to add that's ON topic. :P

Rogues of lockpicking skill of at least 175 (the level 35 cap) can pick the doors to the Armory and Cathedral. It's also a nice place to gain skillups post level 35. You can go from one door to the other, they are the same difficulty. If the reset is too long for you, picking the lock on a lockbox (bring a dozen) seems to reset them. No idea why. :)
Here's an amusing story to relate about SM:

For the past two weeks or so, me and my group (myself, a priest, a shaman, and usually another priest and rogue) have killed Mograine nightly in an attempt to get him to drop his shield (Aegis of the Scarlet Commander) so I could tank with it. We never got him to drop it.

Tonight, we returned to ice Herod, because our Shaman (now lvl 45) is using a lvl 38 axe, and she needs a decent replacement. We brought along someone not common to our group, a lvl 37 shaman, using sword-and-board. Because of the lvl 37, we couldn't simply Mind Soothe our way past the bulk of the mobs, so we were forced to kill every mob in the way to Herod. Once there, we quickly dispatch Herod, and lo and behold, he drops the axe (this is after a total of 38 tries)! I pass and the priest pass, and our shaman rolls a respectable 78. But apparently our other shaman, despite being clearly informed that we were killing Herod for his axe, and it was for the elder shaman, rolls on it. Not only does he roll on it, but he rolls a fricking 100. Needless to say, the priest and I were livid, and the elder shaman was a bit disappointed.

Not to be discouraged, we decided to grease Mograine, Fairbanks, and Whitemane while we waited for Herod to reset. This time, the lvl 37 shaman was out (and likely will remain out after that performance.) We slaughter everything that dared get in our way, even after our priest decides to try his hand at tanking (and dies horribly), forcing me to pull all of my tricks out of the bag to keep the shaman and myself alive. Later, we get to Fairbanks and kill him, resulting in three crappy greens, but they're good disenchanting fodder for our Skinning/Enchanting priest. We then proceed to brutally annihilate Mograine along with his bedbuddy, Whitemane. And, of course, Mograine drops his shield, but I no longer need it, having bought a better one at the AH. Whitemane drops the Flaming Pirate Hat™, as usual. At least the priest got two blues to blow up for shards.

Case in point - instances fricking suck.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Jan 15 2005, 08:27 PM Wrote:Case in point - instances fricking suck.

Haha. Tou might try actually doing instances that are of your level instead of slumming in the lowbie instances. You might find more stuff for you to use. Try Razorfen Downs, Uldaman, or the way too easy Marauden.
MongoJerry,Jan 16 2005, 03:40 AM Wrote:Haha.  Tou might try actually doing instances that are of your level instead of slumming in the lowbie instances.  You might find more stuff for you to use.  Try Razorfen Downs, Uldaman, or the way too easy Marauden.
[right][snapback]65527[/snapback][/right]

We did Uldaman tonight, and the bastard dropped a ring instead of the mace we were hoping he'd drop. We're trying RFD tomorrow night, after a quick pass on Herod.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
As a side note, the rings from Archaedas are pretty difficult to replace until you start farming Thaurissan for Emperor's Seals.
Zippyy,Jan 14 2005, 04:27 PM Wrote:I am reminded of a quote I seem to remember seeing in someone's signature...

"Arguing on the internet's alot like running in the special olympics..." perhaps?  Nah, couldn't have been.

:)
[right][snapback]65431[/snapback][/right]

Personal reminder about arguing, and something to amuse people when I do.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Jan 14 2005, 01:15 PM Wrote:You're right that no one's here for conversations we could have on the b.net forums, so keep your language clean.  (Note: Censoring and mispelling words does not make them clean).

-- MongoJerry

[right][snapback]65405[/snapback][/right]

The misspelling was for effect and the censorship was by the board.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Artega,Jan 16 2005, 04:02 AM Wrote:We did Uldaman tonight, and the bastard dropped a ring instead of the mace we were hoping he'd drop.  We're trying RFD tomorrow night, after a quick pass on Herod.

OK, I just noticed in your sig that you're level 49. Jeez, man, stop slumming! If the people you instance with are 45+, then get thee to Mauraden. If they're the same or higher level then you, maybe even try the Sunken Temple. But Marauden probably wilil probably be more loot-rich for you.
MongoJerry,Jan 17 2005, 02:10 AM Wrote:OK, I just noticed in your sig that you're level 49.  Jeez, man, stop slumming!  If the people you instance with are 45+, then get thee to Mauraden.  If they're the same or higher level then you, maybe even try the Sunken Temple.  But Marauden probably wilil probably be more loot-rich for you.
[right][snapback]65583[/snapback][/right]

A group of (now) lvl 46's with a (now) lvl 50 tank taking on a lvl 51 elite instance boss...?
Artega,Jan 17 2005, 06:15 AM Wrote:A group of (now) lvl 46's with a (now) lvl 50 tank taking on a lvl 51 elite instance boss...?
[right][snapback]65592[/snapback][/right]

Well if you wait until you're higher level than the instance creeps to run it, you're missing all the fun.

The first time I did Maraudon we had a 46 druid, a 48 druid (me), 2 level 50 mages and another character (below 50) that my middle-aged memory cannot recall as I type this. We had a blast --- we were in there for something like 10 hours straight.

I think the game is the most fun when the slightest error can mean a total wipe. It also keeps you on your toes when you have no char along capable of rezzing the entire group at once. (Whatever the fifth character was I know it wasn't a paladin or priest!)

Hmm... wasn't a warrior either as I was tanking as a bear....but I digress...

Get into the instances as soon as you can. You should be scared as you walk through them, not complacent! And don't read any walkthroughs either, figure it out as you go!

-DarkCrown
I'd rather be able to complete two or maybe three instances in the same ten hours it took you to do one, DC :P
Artega,Jan 16 2005, 07:02 AM Wrote:We did Uldaman tonight, and the bastard dropped a ring instead of the mace we were hoping he'd drop.  We're trying RFD tomorrow night, after a quick pass on Herod.
[right][snapback]65532[/snapback][/right]

Last night I won the roll on Herod's hat and for some reason could not loot it. I kept trying till his body decomposed. May your fortunes be better.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Artega,Jan 17 2005, 06:15 AM Wrote:A group of (now) lvl 46's with a (now) lvl 50 tank taking on a lvl 51 elite instance boss...?

Ah, I realize now that you haven't seen any of the higher level instances. The higher level instances are designed to be done in more than one sitting. It's highly unlikely that you will get to the section with the Princess your first time around, since Marauden is a *huge* instance. There are two instance entrances with their two paths joining up in the middle -- the purple way and the orange way. The purple way starts at about level 41-42+ and goes up to the mid-40's. You can start working on some quests there and get some loot. Then, you can start working on the orange path that starts in the mid-40's and moves slowly upward. At this point, you'll be a couple levels higher, and you'll have gotten the stuff together to get your scepter of Celebras and start doing the way too easy princess runs.

Quote:I'd rather be able to complete two or maybe three instances in the same ten hours it took you to do one, DC

And never get any decent loot for your level, because you're never fighting any instance mobs or bosses of your level, you chicken!
Bolty,Jan 13 2005, 11:58 AM Wrote:Instance 1: Graveyard. Left side, open portal
This instance is the easiest, containing level 31-35 creeps. It's purely there for drops and loot, as there are no quest npcs (for the Alliance, at least) there. The end boss, down at the bottom of a crypt at the far side of a graveyard as you enter it, is definitely worth killing if you're a caster. He can drop a +7 Intellect off-hand orb, for one thing.  However, the quest reward for In the Name of the Light features the option for an even better off-hand orb.  Due to this, the fact that the monsters are pretty low level by the time Alliance characters bother making the long trip up to the Monastery, and the fact that there are no quest rewards there, this instance is typically skipped.
[right][snapback]65227[/snapback][/right]
Actually the graveyard is worth going to if you're about 33-35ish and feel the need to grind with some friends. For one thing, it's pretty easy to handle in a group of three. For another, there are some pretty good drops.

http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?n=30349 This guy's stuff isn't hot but on the other hand http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?n=33143 That ring Ironspine drops is hotness for a rogue or warrior.

But this guy http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?n=30348 drops such a nice little set of items.

There IS a horde quest in there. It involves going and killing some guy's wife, who lives just south of UC on the Alterac side of the lake. I am FAIRLY certain her (and her dad, who's there as well) are actually elites, because dayum do they ever hit hard.