Out of the Way Places
When I get tired of bashing monsters I like to take my druid and investigate out of the way corners of WoW. I'm sure much of this has been found by others, but I thought I'd mention a few of the places I've found.

If you jump into the ocean north of the Scarlet Monastery and head east, you will find a large tower and a dock. These are Night Elf style buildings. There are no NPC's. The world map shows that you are in the middle of the land north of the Eastern Plaguelands, but it lies!

If you continue along the coast (now heading south along the Eastern Plaguelands) there is a spot where you can get into the mountains and onto an unfinished plateau. The ground is completely flat over a very large area. It's possible to climb out of this area and into the Eastern Plaguelands. I died horribly doing this. :) There is also a spot with 3 square holes that appear to drop forever. I had to try jumping in. As expected I died; but my spirit showed up at Sentinel Hill. I have a funny screenshot showing me in Westfall and my corpse up near the Eastern Plaguelands. I'm sorry, but I'm just not computer literate enough to figure out how to post screenshots.

If you continue south you come to a small farm tucked along the coast, on the eastern edge of the Arathi Highlands. Further south, along the east cost of the Wetlands there is another spot where you can climb onto an unfinished plateau. It's possible to get into the Wetlands from this area, but I found a large region where I couldn't go because of invisible walls--- nothing appears in front of you - but it's impossible to get past them.

The only other out of the way spot I've found is along the western coast north of Westfall, a little dock and house at a spot called Newman's Landing. It's rather amusing to see the Mage Quarter of Stormwind show up on the minimap as you swim north.

Any other explorers out there? What have you found?

-DarkCrown
DarkCrown,Jan 4 2005, 03:01 PM Wrote:Any other explorers out there? What have you found?

-DarkCrown
[right][snapback]64326[/snapback][/right]

*Cues Bolty's theme song* ;)
When you're flying from OG to TB, you notice a small cave tucked into the mountains surrounding TB. I've tried reaching there from the Barrens, but to no avail. Once I get my mount, I'm going to try reaching it from Stonetalon.

Has anyone reached this spot? I'm suspecting it's a trainer or a vendor that sells rare recipies or something of the like.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I do way too much exploring. The last time I checked "/played" on my main character, I was at 16+ days and he's still only 43. I can't stand to have fog of war on a map I've entered. My log is constantly full because I seem to find quests in all kinds of nooks and crannys. On one gryphon flightpath (Southshore to Iron Forge?) there is a location in the mountains along a coast that has what looks like one of the Loch Modan guard towers. I can't see any way to get to it but I imagine it full of yellow bangs all carrying rewards of piles of gold and fancy loot. Someone, in guild chat last night, suggested how nice it would be to bail out on a gryphon flight. That would be an ideal location for such an ability. You would think, seeing as how I heard it sometimes happened accidentally in beta, they could give a way to jump. I'm saving light feathers for casting feather fall when they add it. :rolleyes:

I've done a lot of swimming too. I first discovered the bay northwest of Wetlands by swimming around from Arathi Highlands after being chased into the water by a big buzzard that was way out of my league. Maybe by the time I have a few level cap characters I will have seen the entire world but I don't imagine that happening any time soon.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
DarkCrown,Jan 4 2005, 03:01 PM Wrote:When I get tired of bashing monsters I like to take my druid and investigate out of the way corners of WoW. I'm sure much of this has been found by others, but I thought I'd mention a few of the places I've found.
If you jump into the ocean north of the Scarlet Monastery and head east, you will find a large tower and a dock. These are Night Elf style buildings. There are no NPC's. The world map shows that you are in the middle of the land north of the Eastern Plaguelands, but it lies!
[right][snapback]64326[/snapback][/right]

I had posted a picture of this plaguelands tourist spot from beta, and I would have hoped by now it had been populated.

[Image: plaguelands.jpg]

Unfortunately my former ISP went out of business and all links in my old posts are broken. Maybe someday I will go back and edit.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Tal,Jan 4 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:*Cues Bolty's theme song* ;)
[right][snapback]64332[/snapback][/right]

No kiddin. Finding these "hidden" and unfinished areas are a joy of mine. One of my favorite posts from beta was this one.

While climbing mountains "illegally" as I did in that thread is much, much harder now, there are still plenty of places where you can get up on the mountain tops and cross into areas you shouldn't be able to get to. Finding them is half the fun. Any time you see a big wall or gate, find a way around it!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jan 4 2005, 09:13 PM Wrote:While climbing mountains "illegally" as I did in that thread is much, much harder now, there are still plenty of places where you can get up on the mountain tops and cross into areas you shouldn't be able to get to.  Finding them is half the fun.  Any time you see a big wall or gate, find a way around it!

-Bolty
[right][snapback]64373[/snapback][/right]
Just be careful to not spend too much time in those areas you shouldn't be able to get to. Some of them are considered unfinished areas. If you find yourself inexplicably teleported out, a GM did it and don't go back in there. If you're found in one of the unfinished areas and kill something in there that you aren't supposed to (like high level elites with almost no hitpoints) or go back after you've been ported out, you'll have your account suspended for around 72 hours.

Edit: Oh, and if you pass through a door dead that you can't pass through alive, get back out again. That's a dead give away that you're in an unfinished zone.

And all the "you"s in this post are general ones, not specific ones.
Intolerant monkey.
Artega,Jan 4 2005, 01:39 PM Wrote:When you're flying from OG to TB, you notice a small cave tucked into the mountains surrounding TB.  I've tried reaching there from the Barrens, but to no avail.  Once I get my mount, I'm going to try reaching it from Stonetalon.

Has anyone reached this spot?  I'm suspecting it's a trainer or a vendor that sells rare recipies or something of the like.
[right][snapback]64347[/snapback][/right]

I saw this cave as I was flying from Orgrimmar to Thunder Bluff today, and I decided to check it out. It turns out that you can make it there from the mulgore side, but it takes a fair amount of effort. I had to find the highest point I could get to and walk sideways along vertical cliff faces to get there. Sadly there's no trainer or vendor there at this time, just an empty greenish cave.
DarkCrown,Jan 4 2005, 03:01 PM Wrote:When I get tired of bashing monsters I like to take my druid and investigate out of the way corners of WoW.[right][snapback]64326[/snapback][/right]

This one is probably known to others, but this morning I found that it is possible to get into Zul'Gurub by going directly south from Roland's Doom in Duskwood. No hard climbing necessary. Did not see any trolls.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I recently swam north from the coast of the hinterlands and found the unfinished plaugelands area. I got exploration xp for Tyr's Hand even though I never came near it :)

Has anyone been able to find a way into the instance near darkshire? It's supposed to be openable in game according to a GM.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-