I can drink this guy under the table
This is a news report of a guy who should be dead, but he isn't. I'm linking to the report on cbc.ca but it's a general AP report so I assume it's not a fabricated story.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...ian-050104.html

Quote:SOFIA, BULGARIA - Bulgarian doctors tested a man's blood-alcohol level five times before accepting it was 0.914 – nearly twice the amount considered to be life-threatening.

The 67-year-old man landed in hospital on Dec. 20 after a car knocked him off his feet in the southern Bulgarian city of Plovdiv, police and doctors said Tuesday.

A breath test indicated blood-alcohol levels so high that police thought their equipment was broken, because the man remained conscious and talked with them.

The head of Plovdiv police, Col. Angel Rangelov, said five separate lab tests taken the same day confirmed the man's blood-alcohol level of 0.914.

A blood-alcohol level of 0.55 is considered potentially fatal.

In comparison, the Bulgarian man's level was more than 11 times higher than the legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers in Canada, which is 0.08.

The man, who has not been identified, was reported to be in stable condition after being treated for head injuries.
I'm genuinely curious as to how high I could get my BAC. My housemates and I have talked a couple times about getting one of those portable breathalizers (actually some pretty cheap ones on ebay), but we never seem to get around to it.

In any case, .914 is absolutely ridiculous. How can you possibly still be alive? What did that single night do to his body? I wonder if he remembers anything from the past week.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Well one thing is certain: He's obviously a brass band player. :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Ah the legendary Sir Osis of Livva has been discovered again !!! :w00t:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
DeeBye,Jan 5 2005, 11:59 PM Wrote:This is a news report of a guy who should be dead, but he isn't.  I'm linking to the report on cbc.ca but it's a general AP report so I assume it's not a fabricated story.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...ian-050104.html
[right][snapback]64554[/snapback][/right]

Any bets his name is Blutarsky? ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Mithrandir,Jan 6 2005, 03:19 AM Wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to how high I could get my BAC. My housemates and I have talked a couple times about getting one of those portable breathalizers (actually some pretty cheap ones on ebay), but we never seem to get around to it.

In any case, .914 is absolutely ridiculous. How can you possibly still be alive? What did that single night do to his body? I wonder if he remembers anything from the past week.
[right][snapback]64559[/snapback][/right]

behold

Radio Shack carries everything.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Mithrandir,Jan 6 2005, 03:19 AM Wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to how high I could get my BAC. My housemates and I have talked a couple times about getting one of those portable breathalizers (actually some pretty cheap ones on ebay), but we never seem to get around to it.

If you decide to get one of those personal testers, read the label carefully. I've heard some of them top out at .08, and regardless of what the number is above that it will give you a reading of .08. (implication being that once you get beyond legal, the number is irrelovant).

Oh, yeah, and don't be an idiot about drinking your way into the hospital or worse. Remember: alcohol is a depressant that acts on the central nervous system. It usually kills by depressing the older parts of your brain so much that they forget to keep you breathing (at least that's what remember from my Drugs and Human Behavior class 6 years ago).
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Bah, I know dozens of Southerners raised on a fiery tit of moonshine that probably live day to day with higher BACs. Course, they aint none to bright. Once ate a big bowl of goblin's gruel. The pasty stuff at the bottom of a still. And this was after a day of heavy drinking. Human beings are amazing creatures when it comes to alchohol and what we can resist.

And of course, loyal RBDers should remember my lovely drunken xmas post a few years back, after I drank several quarts of 'shine. That's right. Quarts. People always talking about these amazing BACs... They should come down to the deepest darkest parts of the South, especially around certain holidays, and they would find numbers that would boggle their minds and defy explaination. I know folks, down here we call them fishermen, that can drink about 4 beers an hour for a good 12 hours straight. And many of them drive home while pulling their boats. (Which is bad. Nobody should do this)
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Radio Shack carries everything.

$50 is waaaay more than we were looking for. There were some decent ones on ebay for $12.

Quote:Oh, yeah, and don't be an idiot about drinking your way into the hospital or worse.

I fully reserve the right to be a complete and utter idiot while with friends having a good time :)
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London