Faerie Fire
Is there any rhyme or reason to which enemies can and can not be prevented from vanishing through using Faerie Fire?

A while back I was doing the Insane Druids quest in Darkshore, and the undead camp on the way was full of assassins. It didn't matter how many times I successfully casted Faerie Fire on them, with the icon there to verify. They always managed to vanish from sight as if I had never cast it.

Does it not work on enemy creatures? Only in PvP? I'm at a loss.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Jan 3 2005, 01:42 PM Wrote:Does it not work on enemy creatures?  Only in PvP?  I'm at a loss.
[right][snapback]64229[/snapback][/right]

Heck, I'm not even sure it does anything. You would think lowering armor by 175 would make a significant enough difference to notice the difference in damage, but I have never been able to tell whether FF is working or not - and neither has anyone I've asked.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Jan 3 2005, 01:11 PM Wrote:Heck, I'm not even sure it does anything.  You would think lowering armor by 175 would make a significant enough difference to notice the difference in damage, but I have never been able to tell whether FF is working or not - and neither has anyone I've asked.
[right][snapback]64231[/snapback][/right]
When GG's druid casts it, my rogue's damage goes up by a few points on each hit and her damage is very consistent. Don't know about the stealth deal though. When it's cast on me by critters and I hit stealth, I slow down, but they still seem to see me and they hurt me more when they hit me. GG and I can probably test in duels to see what it does to me when he hits me with it. We'll have to remember to not be grouped though since we can always see each other stealthed when we're grouped.
Intolerant monkey.
Zarathustra,Jan 3 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:Is there any rhyme or reason to which enemies can and can not be prevented from vanishing through using Faerie Fire?

A while back I was doing the Insane Druids quest in Darkshore, and the undead camp on the way was full of assassins.  It didn't matter how many times I successfully casted Faerie Fire on them, with the icon there to verify.  They always managed to vanish from sight as if I had never cast it.

Does it not work on enemy creatures?  Only in PvP?  I'm at a loss.
[right][snapback]64229[/snapback][/right]

I use Faerie Fire all the time. I've never seen it keep any enemy from vanishing. Perhaps this is broken? What it does do is slightly increase my damage (as noted in another response). I also feel that I have fewer misses when fighting monsters 3 or more levels above me, but I have no statistics to back it up - just a gut feeling.

-DarkCrown
Tested again just to verify.

33 Druid vs. 29 Forsaken Infiltrator
Faerie Fire rank 2

Opened up the fight casting FF (it's cheap, instant cast, useful, and has a good range for pulling), and then my Paladin companion closed the gap to rough them up a bit. Every single time, the Infiltrator would fade from sight during the melee fight, then come back a bit later. This would break combat for anyone swinging at him and make it quite obvious FF doesn't prevent invisibility/stealth against NPCs.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Jan 4 2005, 01:16 PM Wrote:Tested again just to verify.

33 Druid vs. 29 Forsaken Infiltrator
Faerie Fire rank 2

Opened up the fight casting FF (it's cheap, instant cast, useful, and has a good range for pulling), and then my Paladin companion closed the gap to rough them up a bit.  Every single time, the Infiltrator would fade from sight during the melee fight, then come back a bit later.  This would break combat for anyone swinging at him and make it quite obvious FF doesn't prevent invisibility/stealth against NPCs.
[right][snapback]64327[/snapback][/right]
Bleh to it not working on NPCs, but it does work properly in PvP. I couldn't stealth after I was fired and if I stealthed before I got hit with FF it brought me out of it. I'm glad they fixed it from beta - I could still hit the stealth key and get slowed down in beta, but now I don't get the speed penalty since it won't even let me try to stealth. It gives me an immune message.
Intolerant monkey.
Time for me to fill out a bug report. That is, unless this is a "feature".
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Jan 4 2005, 05:16 PM Wrote:Time for me to fill out a bug report.  That is, unless this is a "feature".

As noted on the front page, the /bug reports now go to /devnull (i.e. aren't read by anyone). So, you can report it to overworked gamemasters, or I suggest that you post your bug report in the offical Blizzard Suggestions forum until they make an actual bug forum.
This might be something with the different types of invisibility. I've had some experiences with the warlock's "detect lesser invisibility" and "detect invisibility" buffs. These have no effect in detecting stealthed NPCs, because they detect invisibility (as in alchemist's invisibiliy potions) not stealth. Unless faerie fire says it prevents stealth, in which case its a bug.

As a bit of a postscript, are there any monsters who actually use invisibility spells, not stealth? At lvl 48, I've yet to find a PvE use for either of those warlock spells.

(I'm new, finally decided to create an accout so I could talk with the greats of the lounge :D )