Anyone else likes PvE more than PvP?
Wherever I go I find people all are crazy about how to be effective in PvP (1 vs. 1 or group PvP), but few people interest in how to build a really good PvE character.

Sure I know it's an online game and the interesting part should be about interaction and all, but the bottom line is that you will need level, equipments and money to support your uber best-of-all-to-kick-others-butt characters. Thus, you need to be good in PvE in order to become powerful, fast.

Also, the game is still a RPG and itself should be fun otherwise I would prefer Q3a.

I myself is a PvE player in heart and I look for discussion on how to make a pure PvE oriented character.

So, anyone there?
*Soft snicker* No, there's no one but cheating PvP advocates here. ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Wingx,Jan 2 2005, 06:21 AM Wrote:Wherever I go I find people all are crazy about how to be effective in PvP (1 vs. 1 or group PvP), but few people interest in how to build a really good PvE character.

Sure I know it's an online game and the interesting part should be about interaction and all, but the bottom line is that you will need level, equipments and money to support your uber best-of-all-to-kick-others-butt characters. Thus, you need to be good in PvE in order to become powerful, fast.

Also, the game is still a RPG and itself should be fun otherwise I would prefer Q3a.

I myself is a PvE player in heart and I look for discussion on how to make a pure PvE oriented character.

So, anyone there?
[right][snapback]64124[/snapback][/right]

I for one wish that I liked the game better in the first place. I am either on with folks I know who are too different in level, or on looking for a quest here and there. Have yet to fall in love with the game.

I play PvE, when I play, as does my son, but as I have not gotten very high in level, I do not feel I have the depth of experience to provide you with any useful guidance.

I would suggest you look at the next forum down, called Strategy and Game Mechanics. Might be where you will find your answers.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I like the game but your right about levels.

WoW has greatlly improved on many apects common to MMORPs. But WoW didnt address one of the main issues.

Level differential among friends. CoH and DAoC have a system in place that lets lower players effectivly group with higher levels and its nice.
Ghostiger,Jan 2 2005, 06:13 PM Wrote:I like the game but your right about levels.

WoW has greatlly improved on many apects common to MMORPs. But WoW didnt address one of the main issues.

Level differential among friends. CoH and DAoC have a system in place that lets lower players effectivly group with higher levels and its nice.
[right][snapback]64148[/snapback][/right]

To address this problem WoW has a feature called alternate characters: I believe you can make up to fifty heroes, granted not all on the same server.

Some may say that having multiple characters slows your rate of leveling, but WoW is all about choices.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:Wherever I go I find people all are crazy about how to be effective in PvP (1 vs. 1 or group PvP), but few people interest in how to build a really good PvE character.

I haven't noticed this myself, but if it is true, I imagine that the reason is the following: People who write character guides tend to be very active enthusiastic players. The PvP servers tend to attract a higher than usual amount of that type of player. Therefore, character guides often emphasize PvP aspects of characters. There's also pressure on guide writer to write about everything, so if someone doesn't write about PvP, then they will be assailed by accusations of the guide being "worthless" by a portion of the player community (those who emphasize PvP over PvE).

Quote:Level differential among friends. CoH and DAoC have a system in place that lets lower players effectivly group with higher levels and its nice.

Compared to other MMORPG's, it takes very little time to get to the level cap, so at first you might be at a different level than your friends, but you will catch up comparatively quickly. If you only play sporadically, then that might mean months, but WoW isn't like other games where only people who spend years doing nothing but play the game can achieve level capped status. With WoW, reaching level 60 isn't the end goal. It's just the end of the first phase of your character. There's quite a bit of content designed with level 60 characters in mind -- and I predict that 80% of the content that will be added in the future will be made with level 60 characters in mind.
Thank you for a useless reponse.
Yay, for having another annoying supercilious mouth here.

WE ALL KNOW ITS POSSIBLE TO MAKE ALTS.

However that has nothing to do with what Occhi and I mentioned. If you simply disagree with me for a reason say so, but dont say useless crap like that please.

We mentioned an element of the game that we feel is lacking. You are welcome to disagree. But to make a prentious post implying we misunderstood the nature of the game were playing just makes you pathetic.
Its true that the game tends to be aimed at the end game(I like this). But I wouldnt say its faster than most other MMORPs. Yes its much faster than EQ(the grind is the game there), but compared to DAoC in its current state I would say the leveling is slower.

In my case I have essentially soloed to 42 so far because Im no longer playing as intensly as my old friends from DAoC. I group up to do quests but mostly I solo. I suspect that it will take me about two to two and a half months play to reach 60 at my casual pace which I now enjoy.

From my perspective thats a long time.

Anyway, Im guessing a good deal of players would like some sort of "buddy" system like CoH and DAoC have. Although given the nature of WoWs quests it would take some work to implement it. So really my cooments are thinking about what direction the next MMORP ougght to move.
My situation is kinda like Ghostiger's: we play WoW in a "casual" pace.

Being a full-time graduate student I just can't afford that much time to be addicted to any games - not that I don't want to be - and under that limits, I decide to focus on PvE, since my first goal is to have a 60-level character.

Having said that, my consideration is to find a class/race combination which gives me the fastest ride to the level cap (I chose the Horde in spite of that it could be slowier to level up than the Alliance).

I have to agree with MongoJerry most of those who write guide are "active enthusiastic players" (I would rather say people with PvP mindset, for I claim myself an enthusiastic player, too) and that is the reason why most guides are heavily PvP oriented. However, I strongly believe that there are people like me who prefer to play games in front of a computer 2~4 hours a day to make room for other things . And, if this community exists as I believe, PvE should be regarded as valid and important as PvP effiency.

BTW: Monthly subscription is a bite on casual style players.
Ghostiger,Jan 2 2005, 10:59 PM Wrote:Thank you for a useless reponse.
Yay, for having another annoying supercilious mouth here.

WE ALL KNOW ITS POSSIBLE TO MAKE ALTS.
However that has nothing to do with what Occhi and I mentioned. If you simply disagree with me for a reason say so, but dont say useless crap like that please.

We mentioned an element of the game that we feel is lacking. You are welcome to disagree. But to make a prentious post implying we misunderstood the nature of the game were playing just makes you pathetic.
[right][snapback]64169[/snapback][/right]

You cross the line sir. While LavCat is welcome to disagree with you - you are not welcome to insult her as you have done so. Attack the idea not the poster.
Wrong. My "insults" were pointed and accurate.

She wasnt making a disagreement with me, she was being condecending in lieu of disagreeing with me. I called her on it.

Since you dont understand this, I will make an analogy.

Imagine if you said "I wish WoW had better music".

It would be fair for me to disagree by saying "I like the music" or "I think the music is good becacause <insert reason>."

But it would be rude of me to say "There is an option to change the music - turn down the volume".

I
Peace everyone, and to Ghostiger I think there must be a better way to say "thank you for a useless reponse". Politics, my friend, politics.

A man's pride shall make him humble.
Wingx,Jan 3 2005, 12:19 AM Wrote:Politics, my friend, politics.[right][snapback]64181[/snapback][/right]

Well said. That and a bit of humor will go a long way :)

Cheers,

Munk
Wingx,Jan 3 2005, 01:19 AM Wrote:Peace everyone, and to Ghostiger I think there must be a better way to say "thank you for a useless reponse". Politics, my friend, politics.

A man's pride shall make him humble.
[right][snapback]64181[/snapback][/right]

Agreed.

Ghostiger definintely has a valid point, however; I was not able to experience the end-game as I was not a CB tester, so when my friends (who were CB testers) want to constantly start new characters or - even worse - try playing as Alliance scum, I find myself getting bored because I'm doing the exact same newbie quests, just in a different starting zone.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Ghostiger,Jan 3 2005, 01:15 AM Wrote:Wrong.&nbsp; My "insults" were pointed and accurate.
She wasnt making a disagreement with me, she was being condecending in lieu of disagreeing with me.&nbsp; I called her on it.
Imagine if you said&nbsp; "I wish WoW had better music".

It would be fair for me to disagree by saying "I like the music" or "I think the music is good becacause <insert reason>."

But it would be rude of me to say "There is an option to change the music - turn down the volume".
I
[right][snapback]64179[/snapback][/right]

You crossed the line however you would like to see it from debating the issue to attacking the poster. I won't debate how your analogy doesn't fit your response or whether you feel you were being pointed and accurate in your response. Suffice to say that I am viewing it as crossing the line. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this more but further posts in such a vein will be edited/deleted.
Ghostiger,Jan 2 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:Wrong.&nbsp; My "insults" were pointed and accurate.
She wasnt making a disagreement with me, she was being condecending in lieu of disagreeing with me.&nbsp; I called her on it.
Imagine if you said&nbsp; "I wish WoW had better music".

I
[right][snapback]64179[/snapback][/right]

I understand why you read condescension into the reply. You got your riposte back in, with interest. Tal wants the tone in this thread not to devolve any further. When a mod/admin steps in, the usual Lounge RoE is not to get into a slugging match with the Mod/Admin.

When a mod asks me to edit a post or gives me "Occhi, that was mean spirited" I go to PM to discuss. Generally the Mods/Admins have it right, and I have it wrong, or they'd have not stepped in at all. On a rare occasion I have slugged it out, which makes for entropy, at best, and poison on the Lounge at worst.

I'd suggest a PM conversation with Tal if you wish to pursue this point further. He is trying to keep the Lounge tone friendly, and is right to do so.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete