Occhidiangela,Jan 7 2005, 09:45 AM Wrote:Tal, there's no "f" in weigh
[right][snapback]64660[/snapback][/right]
Eh? ;)
whyBish,Jan 5 2005, 10:00 PM Wrote:United Slates of Grammarica

Flaming Trolls since 19XX (?)
[right][snapback]64540[/snapback][/right]

While I think 1999 is the correct year, per the History section of the Lounge,

Quote:15 July 1999
The Lurker Lounge is born. Its original name, however, is Bolty's Diablo Strategy Central. Bolty designs the site to track good posts on Blizzard's Diablo Strategy Forum (DSF) and point them out/archive them so that casual gamers can learn about all the great stuff that only the die-hard fans were discovering on that forum. It's an ugly site, being designed by someone totally new to HTML and trying to learn it. The site is hosted on Bolty's university webspace.

18 July 1999
The first strategy guide is placed online. Naturally, it's Bolty's High Level Warrior Strategy Guide, thus fulfilling all of Bolty's wild egomaniac-driven dreams.

I don't believe the troll flaming really started until the release of Diablo II in 2000, but that is just my impression. Others may wish to correct me.

"Flaming trolls since the year 2000" might me more accurate.

Nits, anyone?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jan 7 2005, 09:06 AM Wrote:While I think 1999 is the correct year, per the History section of the Lounge,
I don't believe the troll flaming really started until the release of Diablo II in 2000, but that is just my impression.  Others may wish to correct me.

"Flaming trolls since the year 2000" might me more accurate.

Nits, anyone?

Occhi
[right][snapback]64662[/snapback][/right]

The worst trolling and flaming incidents I remember were before the D2 beta. These things probably happened in early 2000, judging from the timeline. Clueless newbie/grammar flaming probably started after D2 released, because there weren't many newbies finding this site before then.

More taglines?

"We find bugs faster than the Orkin Man."
"Coming soon: server-side chickens!"
"Evil will triumph, because Cain is dumb!"
Tal,Jan 7 2005, 08:00 AM Wrote:Eh? ;)
[right][snapback]64661[/snapback][/right]

DOH! TaMeOlta, not Tal.

I owe you a Guinness!

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Nystul,Jan 7 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:The worst trolling and flaming incidents I remember were before the D2 beta.  These things probably happened in early 2000, judging from the timeline.  Clueless newbie/grammar flaming probably started after D2 released, because there weren't many newbies finding this site before then.

More taglines?

"We find bugs faster than the Orkin Man."
"Coming soon: server-side chickens!"
"Evil will triumph, because Cain is dumb!"
[right][snapback]64697[/snapback][/right]
a

I did not drop by a lot before D2 was released, was a bit of a DSF reg/rat up to that point. D2 beta, which I was not in, was "lurk mode" for me, as was the stress test. That mess, back when there was still a DSF channel on bnet, was a complete frustration for me on dial up, what with a 300AMD Athalon machine and a "4 meg on the mo board" video card. I remember waxing poetic at DSF on how much my head hurt from watching the Blood Moor and Cold Plains graphics in D2, with a stress test Barbarian, as compared to the non headache inducing graphics in D1. *chortle*

Heck, I'm actually a relative newbie. My first post here wasn't even under my usual nick.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jan 8 2005, 11:26 AM Wrote:Heck, I'm actually a relative newbie.  My first post here wasn't even under my usual nick. 

Occhi
[right][snapback]64740[/snapback][/right]

I thought you were a rube, not e n00b :P
Occhidiangela,Jan 7 2005, 05:26 PM Wrote:a

I did not drop by a lot before D2 was released, was a bit of a DSF reg/rat up to that point.  D2 beta, which I was not in, was "lurk mode" for me, as was the stress test.  That mess, back when there was still a DSF channel on bnet, was a complete frustration for me on dial up, what with a 300AMD Athalon machine and a "4 meg on the mo board" video card.  I remember waxing poetic at DSF on how much my head hurt from watching the Blood Moor and Cold Plains graphics in D2, with a stress test Barbarian, as compared to the non headache inducing graphics in D1.  *chortle*

Heck, I'm actually a relative newbie.  My first post here wasn't even under my usual nick. 

Occhi
[right][snapback]64740[/snapback][/right]

There actually still is a DSF channel on b.net, but the odds of finding anyone that isn't a bot there have been pretty slim for a year or three.

As for the stress test, it ran perfectly fine on my 200 Mhz Pentium MMX. It was great fun collecting chipped sapphires and putting them into scimitars for the uber build! When the real game came out and graphics got more complicated than a barbarian swinging a couple scimitars, it turned into a slide show.

Compared to Jarulf, Pete, and Thecla, we are all newbies. ;)
Occhidiangela,Jan 7 2005, 06:21 PM Wrote:DOH!  TaMeOlta, not Tal.

I owe you a Guinness!

Occhi
[right][snapback]64736[/snapback][/right]

Do I have to go to Texas to collect? ;)
Tal,Jan 8 2005, 10:09 AM Wrote:Do I have to go to Texas to collect? ;)
[right][snapback]64790[/snapback][/right]

I am sure we can arrange something, in time. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
u is not a TLA.

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Tal,Jan 8 2005, 12:09 PM Wrote:Do I have to go to Texas to collect? ;)

:lol: You'll hafta go , I won't be tricked into going to Texas again anytime soon ! :P
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Bolty,Jan 1 2005, 09:41 AM Wrote:With the new site layout come the "taglines" that appear under the large Lurker Lounge logo text.  These randomized taglines come from a database table that can have lots more entries!

What taglines would YOU like to see there?  The ones that are there now are simply the ones I came up with off the top of my head, but I know that you Lurkers can come up with a LOT more.  Please suggest some:

Details: what makes a good tagline are references to Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and World of Warcraft.  Also, references to the site itself and its history (i.e. "How long until the next site redesign?" and "No cheats.  No ads.  No frills.  Just strat.").  They preferably should be funny or witty, but not necessarily so.

Rules: 44 characters or less, including spaces, although a tagline that's 44 characters and has a lot of capital letters and few spaces probably wouldn't fit.  In general, 40 characters or less is great.  Please COUNT your characters used before posting.

Just think of how neat it'll be to see your tagline up there!

I'll start things off with some more:

1) Happy Tauren come from Mulgore.
2) Do Amazons all wash in the SAME Basin?
3) For Gnomeregan!

-Bolty
[right][snapback]64075[/snapback][/right]

A few other ideas:

1. We know the secret of the Chat Gem

2. To access Secret Gem Level: click here.

3. Tyrael: revived Liberace seeking a piano.

4. Throwing potions need + skills!

"5. The software to prevent stupidity hasn't been written yet." --Pete

6. Un-nerf the MSLEB!

I confess.

I went looking into the old Lounge for a poem I posted there, one that subsequently died on my last HD crash. Have not found it yet, since I am only to about March 2001, but I did run across more than a few giggles.

I also noticed something rather disturbing:

I used to be more light hearted.

Need to regain the old form.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Tal,Jan 8 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:Do I have to go to Texas to collect? ;)

^Votes that as a tagline - minus the emoticon.
"Yep. That's a cow alright."
TPJ • Founder, The Amazon Basin
Who was it that coined, "Does this armor make me look fat?"

Or, to turn it a bit "That armor is Phat baby!"
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Jan 3 2005, 12:09 AM Wrote:But, isn't it "Moo, moo.  Moo moo, moo."?
[right][snapback]64157[/snapback][/right]
Or rather:

"Moo, moo, moo. Moo moo moo, moo; moo - moo moo moo?"

(IIRC)
:ph34r:

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Some taglines from the one and only classic:
----------------------------------------------------

- The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon.

- Sometimes I think that Cain talks too much...

- That lad is going to get himself into serious trouble...

- The greatest power is often the shortest lived.

- Wirt is a rapscallion and a little scoundrel.

- You can cut the flesh, but you must crush the bone.

- Ogden's barmaid is a sweet girl.

- Don't trust everything the drunk says.

- I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

- Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein.

- Rest in peace, my friend...

- Your madness ends here, betrayer!

- Perhaps there, [...] you will find an answer. Or perhaps - salvation...

- Your death WILL be avenged!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
There may be many more, also I didn't check their length.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
LOL, I just spent ten minutes trying to figure out what you had done to get banned! :D
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Jan 17 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:LOL, I just spent ten minutes trying to figure out what you had done to get banned! :D
[right][snapback]65649[/snapback][/right]
That would have to be strike #3...

:whistling:

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

Chaerophon,Jan 17 2005, 12:53 PM Wrote:LOL, I just spent ten minutes trying to figure out what you had done to get banned! :D
[right][snapback]65649[/snapback][/right]

Add me to this list... I was so confused at first... :blush:

Man... I think I only clued in when I read other's responses. Good trick, man!