Network card for new (to me) laptop?
Greatest Hanukkah present ever: laptop computer with case and power cord.
How this present could be better: it needs a network card.

I wanted a laptop that I could use as a portable typing and surfing surface. It's getting the word processing program tonight, but in order to hook her to the Internet, she needs a network card.

:huh:

Pray pardon my ignorance, but I don't know if I can buy off the shelf for this. Anyone out there know what network card I should get and where I can get it?
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Dec 31 2004, 10:05 PM Wrote:Greatest Hanukkah present ever: laptop computer with case and power cord.

I wanted a laptop that I could use as a portable typing and surfing surface. It's getting the word processing program tonight, but in order to hook her to the Internet, she needs a network card.

Pray pardon my ignorance, but I don't know if I can buy off the shelf for this. Anyone out there know what network card I should get and where I can get it?
[right][snapback]64063[/snapback][/right]

Have you checked the Compaq website? It should list compatible cards.
www.compaq.com
WWBBD?
Count Duckula,Dec 31 2004, 10:05 PM Wrote:Greatest Hanukkah present ever: laptop computer with case and power cord.

[right][snapback]64063[/snapback][/right]
I have an old Armada 4131T, and I got it with a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card Part # 292811-001. When I installed my home wireless network, I had no trouble upgrading to a Linksys Wireless card WPC11.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Jan 2 2005, 01:33 AM Wrote:I have an old Armada 4131T, and I got it with a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card Part # 292811-001.  When I installed my home wireless network, I had no trouble upgrading to a Linksys Wireless card WPC11.
[right][snapback]64097[/snapback][/right]

*shows off her ignorance*

I have been told to ask about an external wired network card by those in the know. Problem is, I ain't in the know, and I just want to plug my laptop into the Hollins network. :(
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Jan 2 2005, 01:42 AM Wrote:*shows off her ignorance*

I have been told to ask about an external wired network card by those in the know. Problem is, I ain't in the know, and I just want to plug my laptop into the Hollins network. :(
[right][snapback]64118[/snapback][/right]
You should be fine with either the Netelligent 10/100 from Compaq (which seem to be hard to find now), or an equivelent 10/100 16 bit PCMCIA card.

This card is an example of what should work for that machine;
LINKSYS 10/100Mbps LAN PCMCIA Card, Model PCMPC100 - Retail You should be able to hunt one of these down at a local purveyor, which might be worth the extra $ in case you need to return it.

IIRC, most 3Com standard network cards worked fine.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]