Good PvP character to play?
I'm thinking about getting WoW with some money from returns of christmas money. (returning some shirts heh) No idea how I will pay for the monthly fee, but I'll at least be able to play for the free month and hopefully figure something out for the rest (some friends meantioned buying me a couple of months in the game for x-mas, but I didn't have the game then. So they might now since I didn't get anything from them. Who knows. If not that then I can use other x-mas money or something).

Thats all beside the point though. What I'm thinking of doing when I get the game is to remake my troll hunter from the open beta on one of the PvE servers that various friends play on. I'm also toying with the idea of making a character on a PvP server though. (mol'ganis probably cause I have a friend there) So what would people recommend for a person who wants to play for the first time on a PvP server? I've never really done any PvP in diablo or in the WoW beta so I am really new at it. I was thinking about maybe a priest character. The thought being that they should be a little more resilient with their heals and also will be liked in groups alot. Not sure which faction, I'll have to ask my friend which faction her character is so I can aim for that one. So do you think that priest is a good first class for somebody on a PvP server? The character will probably be my secondary one. So most of my playtime and attention will go into my hunter.

As far as professions, it kind of depends on which class I end up going with. If I go with priest then I would think that tailoring would be good for one of them. Not sure about the second one really. So basically this thread is asking people for their advice. What do you all think would be a good character for a person who is new to PvP to play on a PvP server? What professions would you recommend?
My default choices for new players would be rogues, paladins, or shamans. Priests can be excellect PvPer's, in fact one of the best PvP classes in the game, but I think you should first ask yourself if you would enjoy playing the support role that priests play in parties. If that doesn't fit your personality, then you should probably play one of the other good PvP classes who can play a more active role in a party.

Incidentally, hunters are excellent PvPer's as well. There's still a stigma attached to them that comes from the time when they didnt' have talents or good weapons, while every other class in the game had their talents and good weapons. But I saw very well with my own hunter in the beta and with hunters on the PvP server now that they make terrific PvPers. I particularly think they're great for mid-sized party and larger skirmishes, which tend to be largely ranged affairs. So, if you like playing a hunter, then I suggest making one of those for the PvP server.
swirly,Dec 28 2004, 06:39 PM Wrote:(mol'ganis probably cause I have a friend there)
[right][snapback]63755[/snapback][/right]

Haha, watch out for the Goon Squad then!

Remember: Never, ever ask one of them if they have stairs in their house. :shuriken:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Well the reason I'm not thinking about making my hunter on the PvP server is that I'm planning on putting alot into beast mastery. I think this will work well for PvE, but in PvP it would probably be better to go more with markmanship or some such. So thats why I was thinking that I would make my hunter be PvE. I also might be more inclined to solo with that character which I think the beast mastery route will be good for.

Since my main character I'm thinking of as a character I will play solo a good amount (I know you can't always, but more than most I'm thinking), I'm thinking that my PvP character could be more group oriented. Kind of so that I have a different style to play based on my mood and such. So a support role might be alright since I'd have my hunter to fall back on, though one could say that my hunter is a support type play style as well since I'm going the beast route. One could say that I'm playing more support for my pet. So I don't think I have too much of a problem with playing support.

I did just ask my friend what faction she plays on the PvP server and she says horde. After looking at the races, I'm thinking orc might be good for my hunter. It fits with my theme of going the beast route since orc pets do more damage. So that means I'll want to avoid orc for the PvP server just for a lil variety even though I'll be playing horde either way.

Rogues, paladins, or shamans you say? Hmm. Paladins can only be alliance so they can't really be considered now that I know which faction to think about. For some reason, reading the descriptions of the types, I find myself being more drawn to shaman than rogue. So we now have shaman or priest basically. After some thought and reading about each type, I do find myself leaning towards shaman now. So I think that will be what I will do. I think I'll try making a troll shaman on the PvP server and an orc hunter on the PvE server.

I think I'll have my hunter do engineering/mining for scopes since the plan is to not get hit much. I'll have my shaman do leatherworking/skinning since he wears mostly leather goods. Should work out alright I think.

Thanks for the idea of considering shaman. I hope I like it. : )