Things That Scare Me.
This morning, while having a cup o coffee, I was flipping through a college handbook / course book. Just wanted to see what the kids today are learning about.

While flipping through the "T"s I see Thanatology, nice to see that's around. Just a few entries down though almost made coffee shoot through my nose.

Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry. WTF?!

What the hell is Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry? This is not a typo.

"Hmm this molar isn't coming quietly. Somebody get me... The A-Bomb."

When did dentists get involved in the arms race? Is this punishment for not flossing?

I must be misunderstanding something, but this is what the book says.

I for one, am glad I am never going to the dentist again.

So uh, somebody mind filling me in? What the hell is Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry?

Does this mean we are going to need a lot more laughing gas and novacaine?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ooooh ! :blink: Looks like those wisdom teeth are gonna hafta come out ....
[Image: Overkill.gif]
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Doc,Dec 27 2004, 08:29 AM Wrote:This morning, while having a cup o coffee, I was flipping through a college handbook / course book. Just wanted to see what the kids today are learning about.

While flipping through the "T"s I see Thanatology, nice to see that's around. Just a few entries down though almost made coffee shoot through my nose.

Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry. WTF?!

What the hell is Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry? This is not a typo.

"Hmm this molar isn't coming quietly. Somebody get me... The A-Bomb."

When did dentists get involved in the arms race? Is this punishment for not flossing?

I must be misunderstanding something, but this is what the book says.

I for one, am glad I am never going to the dentist again.

So uh, somebody mind filling me in? What the hell is Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry?

Does this mean we are going to need a lot more laughing gas and novacaine?
[right][snapback]63625[/snapback][/right]

Nuclear probably means they use radiation for something, and it could be Thermo with a dash means that there's a "thermo" part and a "nuclear" part that don't need to go together. Googling it hasn' turned up anything, but it seems that there are some studies that use teeth to cshow what some bomb effects are, that could also be it.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Doc,Dec 27 2004, 09:29 AM Wrote:So uh, somebody mind filling me in? What the hell is Thermo-Nuclear Dentistry?

So you want me to become a Dentist just so I can give you 2-megaton atomic fillings? Or shall I go for something a little less lethal? Like, a set of steel dentures with crocodile kung fu grip :D

Don't know what thermo-nuclear dentistry is. Too busy with thermodynamics in Chemical Engineering---thought I'd be working with drugs and explosives and the occasional distillery. That, or building cool giant machinery... I sorta got that in Chemical Engineering... uh, yeah. The power of chemistry compells me to have a headache.
Minionman,Dec 27 2004, 09:36 AM Wrote:Nuclear probably means they use radiation for something, and it could be Thermo with a dash means that there's a "thermo" part and a "nuclear" part that don't need to go together.  Googling it hasn' turned up anything, but it seems that there are some studies that use teeth to cshow what some bomb effects are, that could also be it.
[right][snapback]63630[/snapback][/right]
You need more google-fu training. ;)

There are actually quite a few colleges/universitites out there that have nuclear medicine courses. I still don't know why the "thermo" part in your case Doc, but nuclear medicine isn't that crazy. Want to know what scares me? The fact that there is a billboard in town advertising lazik surgery at our local Walmart. Yes, you can now get surgery at Walmart. Be scared.
Intolerant monkey.
Thanatology? The generation of students who were raised playing Resident Evil games now have Thanatology courses for an option?

Crap. Makes me long for the days when I could have gone for Necromancy and Divination classes instead of that useless ol' Computer Office Administration curriculum... :wacko:
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 27 2004, 12:39 PM Wrote:Thanatology? The generation of students who were raised playing Resident Evil games now have Thanatology courses for an option?

Crap. Makes me long for the days when I could have gone for Necromancy and Divination classes instead of that useless ol' Computer Office Administration curriculum...  :wacko:
[right][snapback]63643[/snapback][/right]

I took courses in Thanatology. I don't think it is what you think it is.

It's the study of death and the bereavement process, and how to comfort widows. The various religious aspects of death, the actual biological processes of death, but it's mostly how to comfort people that have lost loved ones.

I don't know about now, but when I did it, it involved sitting in a hospital room and watching somebody die. It's not for everybody, you need some sense of cold clinical detatchment. Otherwise it screws with your mellon.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
.....phew ! I'm glad Thanatos isn't back ..... I was worried that the Silver Surfer hadn't kicked his butt out of our galaxy ...... :whistling:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Doc,Dec 27 2004, 01:54 PM Wrote:...you need some sense of cold clinical detatchment. Otherwise it screws with your mellon.
[right][snapback]63644[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm, I dont believe I agree with you on that one. It dosen't nessicarily require detatchment, just acceptance. People fear death because its the greatest of unknowns and people fear what they do not know. This is of course coupled with loosing someone who has been close to you, usually for quite a long time if you in actual mourning.

But for me, death is the next part of life. It's inevitable and there is no reason to get horribly worked up when someone close to you passes on. It's better to respect their memory by focusing on this world and not worrying about what happens whenever this is over.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
I dont believe you.

Give the recent propensity for Lurkers to to post audacious liesnks to lies and then have a good laugh when someone falls for it(a bad trend by the way) I dont really buy the story.

If you are serious I think it is either a typo or you have mistyped something. I could be wrong and some crank decided to have some fun with a college cataloge, but i doubt it.
Actually, from what I have been able to gather, Thermo-Nuclear dentistry is the applications of lasers and nuclear medicine to dentistry. For people that have various types of cancers, growths, etc, that need to be taken care of. The name sounds much scarier than it really is.

In my mind, it still sounds like some mad dentist planting an A-bomb in somebody's mouth when a tooth wont come out. Gives me a delicious case of the shivers.

So, does this mean the barbaric practices of dentistry will one day get better? Instead of sawing a tooth that will not come out, they could burn it out nice and clean with a laser? No more drilling?

Since finding out, I am still very much in the dark.

Dental carries look out... You are going to get burninated!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Let's analyze this here actual rankine cycle with two reheats. Remember your isentropic efficiencies and what it looks like on a T-s digram with respect to the saturation lines. And while we're at it, let's do entropy balance for fun! I just took thermo this past semester and it was not fun :(

Drasca,Dec 27 2004, 10:49 AM Wrote:So you want me to become a Dentist just so I can give you 2-megaton atomic fillings? Or shall I go for something a little less lethal? Like, a set of steel dentures with crocodile kung fu grip :D

Don't know what thermo-nuclear dentistry is. Too busy with thermodynamics in Chemical Engineering---thought I'd be working with drugs and explosives and the occasional distillery. That, or building cool giant machinery... I sorta got that in Chemical Engineering... uh, yeah. The power of chemistry compells me to have a headache.
[right][snapback]63632[/snapback][/right]
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Nuclear mediciine, I knew what it was, adding the thermo makes it more confusing.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Drasca,Dec 27 2004, 09:49 AM Wrote:So you want me to become a Dentist just so I can give you 2-megaton atomic fillings? Or shall I go for something a little less lethal? Like, a set of steel dentures with crocodile kung fu grip :D

[right][snapback]63632[/snapback][/right]

That's what I'll be doing in the next few years.

pakman,Dec 27 2004, 02:28 PM Wrote:Let's analyze this here actual rankine cycle with two reheats.  Remember your isentropic efficiencies and what it looks like on a T-s digram with respect to the saturation lines.  And while we're at it, let's do entropy balance for fun! I just took thermo this past semester and it was not fun :(
[right][snapback]63658[/snapback][/right]

I always liked Thermo. The study and application of things going boom, and of heat in general, is interesting to me. Of course, Combustion is more the "things that go boom" course, but Thermo is a pre req that I enjoyed.

As for isentropic anything, IIRC that's rar to find other than "on paper." There's a little madness and chaos in everything real, which is nice -- at least I think so.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 27 2004, 07:23 PM Wrote:I always liked Thermo.  The study and application of things going boom, and of heat in general, is interesting to me.  Of course, Combustion is more the "things that go boom" course, but Thermo is a pre req that I enjoyed.

As for isentropic anything, IIRC that's rar to find other than "on paper."  There's a little madness and chaos in everything real, which is nice -- at least I think so.

Occhi
[right][snapback]63676[/snapback][/right]

I know how to make things go "boom" but I really didn't go to college to do it. Leave me alone in a workshop with common household chemicals and I can make amazing things, but I have absolutely no idea why it does what it does, nor can I name half the chemicals that go into it.

Give me a danish tin, some fertilizer, and some stuff commonly found under the kitchen sink, along with a digital watch, and a few other electric bits, and a nine volt battery, and I can make something that will make so big a "boom" that it would blow an entire house to splinters and crumbly bits.

I guess this makes me dangerous. But damn, it's so much fun.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 27 2004, 09:54 AM Wrote:I took courses in Thanatology. I don't think it is what you think it is.

It's the study of death and the bereavement process, and how to comfort widows. The various religious aspects of death, the actual biological processes of death, but it's mostly how to comfort people that have lost loved ones.

I don't know about now, but when I did it, it involved sitting in a hospital room and watching somebody die. It's not for everybody, you need some sense of cold clinical detatchment. Otherwise it screws with your mellon.
[right][snapback]63644[/snapback][/right]
Precisely what I thought. The science of death and dying. The study in both physical and spiritual aspects of one's cessation of life and entry into the state of death.

It just sounds like a good place as any for a mad scientist type to begin on his journey into making his very own Zombieville, too.

I'll stick to nekroi mantia, if you don't mind. Would rather talk to ghosts rather than than give them a return ticket to the mortal coil.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 27 2004, 07:47 PM Wrote:Precisely what I thought. The science of death and dying. The study in both physical and spiritual aspects of one's cessation of life and entry into the state of death.

It just sounds like a good place as any for a mad scientist type to begin on his journey into making his very own Zombieville, too.

I'll stick to nekroi mantia, if you don't mind. Would rather talk to ghosts rather than than give them a return ticket to the mortal coil.
[right][snapback]63680[/snapback][/right]

Science? I don't know if I would call it just that.

It's more like the philosophy of death. Science, biology, religion, and various schools of thought all rolled into one. It deals with a lot of things that science has currently no way to measure, chart, or apply scientific theory to.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 27 2004, 07:47 PM Wrote:Precisely what I thought. The science of death and dying. The study in both physical and spiritual aspects of one's cessation of life and entry into the state of death.

[right][snapback]63680[/snapback][/right]

apothaneskomai is the ancient greek verb for 'to die.' Thanalogy is a derivation of the word ["Than"].

Who said philogy isn't practical!

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Dec 27 2004, 07:56 PM Wrote:apothaneskomai is the ancient greek verb for 'to die.'  Thanalogy is a derivation of the word ["Than"].

Who said philogy isn't practical!

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]63682[/snapback][/right]

Thanatos is also the Greek name for the Angel of Death.

This post needs more cowbell.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."