Adariel Bug? What Andariel Bug?
In case there was any doubt...

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/3956/screenshot0129jy.jpg

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/1120/screenshot0117sp.jpg

Signature? What do you mean?
Sooo...

What is this bug? I'm guessing it involves Andariel dropping rare stuff. But why is it that screenshots from a single player game get rid of any doubt? You could likely load up a drop hack to do the exact same thing.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting things here, but, as the original post doesn't provice any information whatsoever, I'm kind of grasping at straws here.

In summary: What?
Bob the Beholder,Dec 24 2004, 04:22 PM Wrote:Sooo...

What is this bug?  I'm guessing it involves Andariel dropping rare stuff.  But why is it that screenshots from a single player game get rid of any doubt?  You could likely load up a drop hack to do the exact same thing. 

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting things here, but, as the original post doesn't provice any information whatsoever, I'm kind of grasping at straws here. 

In summary:  What?
[right][snapback]63504[/snapback][/right]

The bug is that Andariel will always drop from her quest drop after you've completed the quest. The quest drop is always rares and better, except if you get failed set items. This bug also applies to Duriel.
Bob the Beholder,Dec 24 2004, 11:22 PM Wrote:Sooo...

What is this bug?  I'm guessing it involves Andariel dropping rare stuff.  But why is it that screenshots from a single player game get rid of any doubt?  You could likely load up a drop hack to do the exact same thing. 

In summary:  What?
[right][snapback]63504[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, I just assumed everybody knows about this bug. As adeyke explained, you always get the quest drop from her, if you talk to a NPC after killing her.

The drops are usually no where near this nice. It's the result of two runs out of hundreds probably (~500 MF).

Why would I post a picture from a mod anyway? :huh:
Any1,Dec 25 2004, 02:45 AM Wrote:Sorry, I just assumed everybody knows about this bug.  As adeyke explained,  you always get the quest drop from her, if you talk to a NPC after killing her.

The drops are usually no where near this nice.  It's the result of two runs out of hundreds probably (~500 MF).

Why would I post a picture from a mod anyway?  :huh:
[right][snapback]63515[/snapback][/right]

Well, considering that I had no idea what bug you were talking about, or what ramifications it might have had, it certainly is possible that you'd have some reason to forge some 'proof.'

Although, if you were one to lie to keep rumors or whatever going, I'm not sure you'd have survived even 28 posts here. (Here I am sounding all 'Lurker Lounge Old Guard' with my 71 posts, although technically I've been lurking around here for over a year. Shows how much I pay attention not knowing about this bug.)

*edit*

Hah, and your account's been up for even longer than mine, unless I'm just reading wrong, due to sleep deprivation. King of the Non-Posters?
Any1,Dec 24 2004, 10:45 PM Wrote:The drops are usually no where near this nice.  It's the result of two runs out of hundreds probably (~500 MF).
[right][snapback]63515[/snapback][/right]

How is this proof of an Andariel bug? You got two nice drops running Andariel hundreds of times with a ton of MF, and you posted two screenshots.

I don't see anything even remotely related to the alleged "Andariel Bug".
Any1,Dec 24 2004, 11:30 AM Wrote:In case there was any doubt...

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/3956/screenshot0129jy.jpg

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/1120/screenshot0117sp.jpg
[right][snapback]63493[/snapback][/right]

What is your purpose in posting this? Most everyone knows about this bug! Blizzard has no intention to fix this, IMO. Unless your trying to have a MOD made where it's fixed, it sounds like your trying to bring attention to this [bug] that can easily be exploited. In a way, this is propagating cheating IMO unless you actually have a point for this topic!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Dec 25 2004, 05:37 PM Wrote:What is your purpose in posting this?  Most everyone knows about this bug!  Blizzard has no intention to fix this, IMO.  Unless your trying to have a MOD made where it's fixed, it sounds like your trying to bring attention to this [bug] that can easily be exploited.  In a way, this is propagating cheating IMO unless you actually have a point for this topic!
[right][snapback]63553[/snapback][/right]

I suspect the intent was either humour or "wow, look at those drops."

As for exploiting the bug... It's practically impossible to avoid, unless you don't ever kill those bosses more than once. Knowledge of the bug basically amounts to "Kill Andariel and Duriel; they have nice drops." I don't really have a problem with benefitting from that bug. I certainly have a bigger problem with the exploit to get multiple quest drops from the other act bosses, where you do have to go out of your way to get it.
DeeBye,Dec 25 2004, 05:27 AM Wrote:How is this proof of an Andariel bug?  [right][snapback]63531[/snapback][/right]

There are no money or potions dropped. This the hallmark of a initial boss quest drop. The anscillary stuff strewn around, are from the other monsters that get wasted when I killed Andariel.
Any1,Dec 26 2004, 06:46 PM Wrote:There are no money or potions dropped.  This the hallmark of a initial boss quest drop.  The anscillary stuff strewn around, are from the other monsters that get wasted when I killed Andariel.
[right][snapback]63585[/snapback][/right]

It's still not actual proof, though. You can get a non-quest drop without any gold or potions, and you can get a non-quest drop with only rares or better. It's just far less common than on a quest drop.
MEAT,Dec 26 2004, 12:37 AM Wrote:....In a way, this is propagating cheating IMO unless you actually have a point for this topic![right][snapback]63553[/snapback][/right]

Why don't you bring this to the attention of the forum moderators, if you think I'm advocating cheating? They'll ban me faster that you can blink.

I used to have an old account with LL, going back to the inception of D2. The old LL used to be known for a certain "elitest" attitude, when it came to playing the game. At some point, any kind of MFing was frowned upon. I had hoped things have changed. I've played D2 since a month after it was released. I played LoD beta mostly with AB groups. Now I only play SP, because of the sad state of the realms (95% of the high runes are duped and everybody is running around with mutliple impossibly high-end runewords). I play 100% legit with the gear I've found. I do get excited when I get a few good drops, and hell I thought I'd share this with the LL community. I'm sorry if I offended your sense of "how tha game should be played".

Edit: I didn't originally post this in the "Maggot Lair". The post was made in "Atma's Tavern". The mods must've moved it here. This was meant to be more of a novelty post than the sceintific proof of game mechanics. I can see why people are being a little aggressive.
adeyke,Dec 27 2004, 01:56 AM Wrote:It's still not actual proof, though.  You can get a non-quest drop without any gold or potions, and you can get a non-quest drop with only rares or better.  It's just far less common than on a quest drop.
[right][snapback]63586[/snapback][/right]

What do you think are chances of getting this kind of a drop twice (there's actually been a lot more), if this was not a quest drop? It would be extremely unlikely, correct?

I could take screenies of my next 100 Andariel runs, and post them. :D

Edit: I didn't originally post this in the "Maggot Lair". The post was mad in "Atma's Tavern". The mods must've moved it here. This was meant to be more of a novelty post than the sceintific proof of game mechanics. I can see why people are being a little aggressive.
Any1,Dec 26 2004, 07:06 PM Wrote:Why don't you bring this to the attention of the forum moderators, if you think I'm advocating cheating?  They'll ban me faster that you can blink.

I used to have an old account with LL, going back to the inception of D2.  The old LL used to be known for a certain "elitest" attitude, when it came to playing the game.  At some point, any kind of MFing was frowned upon.  I had hoped things have changed.  I've played D2 since a month after it was released.  I played LoD beta mostly with AB groups.  Now I only play SP, because of the sad state of the realms (95% of the high runes are duped and everybody is running around with mutliple impossibly high-end runewords).  I play 100% legit with the gear I've found.  I do get excited when I get a few good drops, and hell I thought I'd share this with the LL community.  I'm sorry if I offended your sense of "how tha game should be played".

Edit:  I didn't originally post this in the "Maggot Lair".   The post was made in "Atma's Tavern". The mods must've moved it here.  This was meant to be more of a novelty post than the sceintific proof of game mechanics.  I can see why people are being a little aggressive.
[right][snapback]63587[/snapback][/right]

I apologize for the poor communication on my part. I feel it is important for me to clear up this unnecessary tension I have caused before ill will sets in.

I’d like to start by saying I don’t believe you were trying to [exploit] anything, nor do I feel you were advocating cheating in any way. I can see where I came across as hostile towards you and realize now that I should have chosen my words more carefully. I’m sorry for coming across as “elitist”. I do not question your time spent here at the Lounge and I have nothing but respect for our posters, including you. I deeply regret if anything I said offended you and offer to make amends however you see fit.

As to my reply, I was unaware of a need, request, or urgency of any Lurkers to be made aware of the Adariel bug and based on this, it was my opinion that if a person were asking for proof of the bug, a PM to the curious individual might have sufficed. These assumptions made the words I used sound accusatory, but how can I pass judgment when I do not know all the facts? I can only plead for your pardon in this matter.

I must admit that from the topic title, I was expecting a detailed explanation of this bug based on your own [testing] and [experience]. From your knowledge, I would have liked to of seen:
  • 1. A brief description of what this bug is
    2. Details on what the bug does and how it works
    3. Your opinion of how this bug should be dealt with<>
    [st]Here is my take on a description for this bug:

BUG NAME: Unknown Bug Name
    GAME VERSION AFFECTED: Diablo Classic 1.1, and Lord of Destruction 1.1;
    ENVIRONMENT AFFECTED: Single Player, Multiplayer, and Battle.net
    DESCRIPTION: When you kill an Act Boss for the first time, you receive a special treasure drop known as a [quest drop]. This special drop has a huge chance to doll out unique and set items when completed. There is currently bug that allows you to initiate a [quest drop] on any act boss if certain criteria is met [details purposely withheld].
    CONJECTURE: This is an exploitable bug and is not meant to be a mechanic of game play. That being said, knowledge of this bug should only be used as a fix in MODS for Diablo and LoD – feel free to write Blizzard informing them about this error but expect no results. It seems to me that this [exploit] - as with all exploits - should only be discussed or tested for MOD fixes or ways to avoid the bug's exploitation. I believe that talking about this bug in an exploitable fashion is a bannable offence on the Lurker Lounge.

[EDIT #1] - Added color to each "bug" section.
    [EDIT #2] - After reading what Adeyke had to say, decided to change the "bug's" name, remove the details of how the "bug" works as an exploit, and changed the way I worded the last two sentences in Conjecture as less authoritarian and more as my own opinion, which it is.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Dec 27 2004, 01:05 AM Wrote:BUG NAME: Unknown Bug Name
GAME VERSION AFFECTED: Diablo Classic 1.1, and Lord of Destruction 1.1;
ENVIRONMENT AFFECTED: Single Player, Multiplayer, and Battle.net
DESCRIPTION: When you kill an Act Boss for the first time, you receive a special treasure drop known as a [quest drop].&nbsp; This special drop has a huge chance to doll out unique and set items when completed.&nbsp; There is currently bug that allows you to initiate a [quest drop] on any act boss if certain criteria is met [details purposely withheld].
CONJECTURE: This is an exploitable bug and is not meant to be a mechanic of game play.&nbsp; That being said, knowledge of this bug should only be used as a fix in MODS for Diablo and LoD – feel free to write Blizzard informing them about this error but expect no results.&nbsp; It seems to me that this [exploit] - as with all exploits - should only be discussed or tested for MOD fixes or ways to avoid the bug's exploitation.&nbsp; I believe that talking about this bug in an exploitable fashion is a bannable offence on the Lurker Lounge.

See, you're talking about the exploit to get multiple quest drops from Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal, which is completely unrelated to the Andariel bug. And you're going into detail on exactly how to do it, which no one else in this thread did. You really don't have the authority to speak about what constitutes a bannable offence, either.

The Andariel/Duriel bug is like this:

Procedure:
- Kill the act boss once for the quest
- Finish the quest by talking with the NPCs (necessary if you want to go to the next act)
- Kill the act boss again
Result:
- You get a quest drop

This is a bug. However, I have a hard time seeing it as an exploit. I think the distinction between "hard to do" and "hard to avoid" is important for these matters.

For example, in 1.09, there was the mastery bug:
Procedure:
- Put a point into a mastery
Result:
- You get 100% critical strike instead of the listed amount

That was certainly a bug. However, that bug is just part of the way the skill worked. It's impossible to avoid, unless you want to handicap your barbarian with the lack of mastery. So you really couldn't call those people that benefit from the bug cheaters.

There's also the charges synergy bug in 1.10 (specifically, with Marrowwalks, as that's the worst offender):
Procedure:
- Have a necromancer with poison/bone skills
- Make sure you have no points in pone brison
- Wear Marrowwalks
Result:
- You get a slvl 33 synergy

This one is practically impossible to do accidentally. And it's easy to avoid benefitting from the bug, either by putting a point in bone prison, or by using a different pair of boots, or by not using poison/bone skills, or by emptying the boots of charges. So that would be an exploit.

Similarly, while the two quest drop things mentioned are both bugs, the one you described is much worse than the Andariel/Duriel bug.

EDIT: Replaced quoted with edited version.
adeyke,Dec 27 2004, 01:31 AM Wrote:See, you're talking about the exploit to get multiple quest drops from Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal, which is completely unrelated to the Andariel bug.&nbsp; And you're going into detail on exactly how to do it, which no one else in this thread did.&nbsp; You really don't have the authority to speak about what constitutes a bannable offence, either.
[right][snapback]63605[/snapback][/right]

Oh wow, I didn't know there was a difference :( . No wonder I came across as so brash to Any1. I can't believe how absurd my ignorance must have made me sound. I was completely unaware of this "Anderial Bug" which you describe Adeyke!

I owe Any1 a huge apology! Any1, I am extremely sorry for my attitude and ignorance of what you were trying to convey. I sincerely apologize to you for upsetting you and hope you can forgive me without spite.

I suppose it would be prudent for me to edit my post and dispose of the exploits details? Yes, I’ll do it now.
It's very gracious of you to offer an apology, I don't see that a lot on the bulletin boards. I humbly accept.

Think nothing of it, it was a simple misunderstanding. :whistling:

What about this Duriel Bug refered to here?

I am only using Single Player, 1.10. I have finished the Duriel quest with multiple characters in Normal and several in Nightmare difficulties, but with none in Hell difficulty, yet. With most characters I visit Durial again, afterwards, and I am almost certain that I have never received a quest drop from him more than once. I am absolutely certain that I have gotten many a non-quest drop.

So, does this bug only manifest in Hell difficulty?

Has it been introduced on realms after 1.10 was released?

Have I found a way to circumvent it, that I use unknowingly?

Or could that be a lingering myth, like that of Urdars having ITD, something that was true in the past but not any more?

Edit: Never mind my stupid questions, if answering those would amount to educating the ignorant about how to cheat. Don't know what I was thinking asking such things here of all places...
sbach2o,Jan 14 2005, 03:54 AM Wrote:What about this Duriel Bug refered to here?

I am only using Single Player, 1.10. I have finished the Duriel quest with multiple characters in Normal and several in Nightmare difficulties, but with none in Hell difficulty, yet. With most characters I visit Durial again, afterwards, and I am almost certain that I have never received a quest drop from him more than once. I am absolutely certain that I have gotten many a non-quest drop.

So, does this bug only manifest in Hell difficulty?

Has it been introduced on realms after 1.10 was released?

Have I found a way to circumvent it, that I use unknowingly?

Or could that be a lingering myth, like that of Urdars having ITD, something that was true in the past but not any more?

Edit: Never mind my stupid questions, if answering those would amount to educating the ignorant about how to cheat. Don't know what I was thinking asking such things here of all places...
[right][snapback]65335[/snapback][/right]

Oh dear.

Do we need to discuss the difference between "cheese" and "cheat" yet again? .

For example, is doing MF runs an exploit of the game and thus cheating? If so, all MF threads are hereby banned. (Right!) Is item hunting in the Crypt or Mausoleum in Hell Diff an exploit? Was doing a Pindle run an exploit (I am not referring to the use of bots.) Was doing a whole bunch of Bloody Foothills runs to build XP pre 1.10 cheating? Was exp leaching cheating? Or, was it a cheesy use of the features of the game and the group XP system?

I'd say most of the above coule be classed as cheese, at worst, and some of it attempts to correct for The Level Gap problem, not to mention a Rush mechanism that. (On no, are we to ban Crystalion when he discusses rush and twink issues? NO!!) While quite a bit of this could be cheesy, the Rush is not an uncommon tool used for a variety of reasons to get to Hell Diff.

Cheating is to break the rules of a game. Rules have to be agreed at the outset of a game or it is not a game. A game is defined by its rules. To a certain extent, it is defined in PC games by game code. (For a funny take on this idea, go to the old lounge and look up Sirian's "The Code is the Final Arbiter" thread discussion, which I thought was a funny follow up to a hard toned twinking debate that preceded it.) The exploit issue is an interesting area for discussion. Was stair trapping the Butcher in DI cheating? I don't think so, though it was a tactic meant to take advantage of the AI.

One of the few agreed definitions of cheat is "using third party software(to include packet sniffers, maphacks, bots, etc)" to change the way the game plays. This inevitably leads to duping discussions when the game is not cleaned up enough that it allows, for example, duping to happen in game. D II was yet another example. As they did not initially implement one of my old suggestions in Realms (assign any generated item an ID based on date and place generation) there was no good way to find and delete items on game entry. Bnet could not destroy dupes. It is not hard to classify duping as cheating, since one has to have explicit intent to dupe in order to do it, whereas any number of bugs can be exploited or stumbled upon in complete ignorance.

"Intentionally" doing out of game things to cause the game to dupe items, or for that matter any number of other things, can have bad side effects beyond an ethical bar sinister , to include degrading bnet and the jokonomy --sorry, the economy. Also, it is cheating by any game's strict definition. (Like melting the ice on a hockey rink at one end during a match . . . )

I was told by an idiot at D II.net that using a teleport ring in LoD during a duel, when I was playing a Paladin, was cheating. I told him he was completely full of crap. The game gave me the ring. Now, if we agreed BEFORE THE DUEL that a Paladin would not use teleport rings, sure, I would be cheating on our local rule if I used it to teleport to him and smite him into glorious stun lock and death. But generically, an item the game legitimately coughs up to you is not a cheat to use. (Bugged items are an extremely rare special case.) OK, he never saw the light on that, typical D II.net buffoon, who by the way claimed he was a PhD in math in Michigan. :wacko: Remember the dual wielding exploit? Was it cheating? According to Blizz, yes it was: they said so explicitly. THEY FESSED UP, and THEY CORRECTED TO CODE TO CLOSE THE LOOPHOLE. They also warned players ahead of time that they were fixing the bug that allowed it to happen. Similar to a ruling in a golf match: the rules authority had spoken.

If an exploit is known, like the MS bug in Diablo I or the old 75% slow opponent PvP bug for Cleg's Gloves in Diablo II, is it cheating to use MS or Cleg's gloves? No, but it is cheesy. Also, if before a duel the agreement is "no exploiting that bug" then it is a cheat on that duel to use Cleg's. What, rules in a knife fight? ;)

When a bug is brought to your attention, you can either play cheesy (and end up virtually invulnerable in the MS case,) or you can account for the bug and play by adding to vitality or other such measures to ensure you don't trigger the bug.

Deliberately standing there (in D I ) while black deaths whittle your Vit down to nearly nil is an extreme case of the MS exploit, and if tha is not cheating, which I deem it to be, it sure is close. Cheesy at best in any event.

Careless use of the classification of something as "cheating" needs to be avoided, since our policy here is very harsh on cheating. Not a charge to carelessly fling about the lounge, but when the shoe fits, it does need to be worn.

I find the assertion that Any1 was advocating cheating, or was explaining a cheat in his opening post or the follow ups, to be not only "elite nose downstaring" but quite simply wrong. Call me the Semantics police if you must, but please USE CARE when considering whether or not to use the word "cheat" in discussion here.

Cheese is a whole different topic.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Wow...

Thats a whole of venting don't you think Occhi? In my opinion, the line between cheesing and cheating is very thin, and can be changed by the ideas of the player. I think that the Terms of Use says exploiting a bug in the game is illegal and considered cheating. Therefore, you have to determine what is a bug. The Andy/Duriel bug IS a bug, and thus (if you want to feel good about yourself) can be fixed by leaving the game before you travel to the next act.

But to get a quest drop from a boss is not a difficult thing to do. Personally, I have no problem with the bug and exploiting it to its fullest. If you join a game where a certain act boss has not been killed, and you have not recieved that quest yet, the boss will drop as if it were a quest drop. It's probably another bug in the game, but the case is still the same.

I think it really depends on who you play with. If you play on the realms with gobs of idiots and are looking for specific stuff that is not in the "norm" uber runeword class, go ahead and use the bug. If you dont want to cheese, then don't. If you play alone and are sick and tired of seeing all these incredibly rare items that you will NEVER see, go ahead and use the bug to try and get some. If you are fine with your equipment now, then don't. If you play with private games on the AB or other areas that are as anti-cheating as they come, dont bother. There is no reason to use the bug to get stronger because everyone else is just as weak as you.

To sum it all up, cheese if you want to. The main goal is to have fun while respecting other people.

Seems I did a bit of venting myself...

Quote:Deliberately standing there (in D I ) while black deaths whittle your Vit down to nearly nil is an extreme case of the MS exploit, and if tha is not cheating, which I deem it to be, it sure is close. Cheesy at best in any event.

Neat! I never played D1 to the extent of D2 even though I got it when it came out. Probably because I was like 10 and had all the gpows in the world... Never heard of the bug either. Did your Vit decrease, allowing you to put more into your vit, increasing your overall health or did your health decrease to the point where it loops back around to 65535? I know in Baldur's Gate II, there is a way to "beat yourself with an ugly stick" up to the point where you become godly beautiful and your charisma loops around to the highest.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Occhidiangela,Feb 23 2005, 09:01 PM Wrote:I was told by an idiot at D II.net that using a teleport ring in LoD during a duel, when I was playing a Paladin, was cheating.
[right][snapback]68853[/snapback][/right]

I'd have to agree with that idiot. Since when has teleport been spawnable on rings? :D

I'm sure you mean "amulet". :shuriken:
You don't know what you're talking about.