Why do people get so angry this time of year?
My parents sent me a package last week, and since I wasn't home when Mr. Postal Delivery Man came around I had to shove my arse over to the local postal delivery outlet to claim my box of goodies.

I was shocked and amazed at how rude people were. I really felt bad for the the poor lady (wo)manning the counter. There were about 5 people in line ahead of me when I got there, and every one of them had a nasty thing to say to her.

This was the lady directly in front of me:

"What do you mean this package can't get to Germany before Christmas?"
"Does this package to Germany have to get shipped over airmail?"
"What about this other package? How fast can you ship it to the US?"
"This other package doesn't have to get to the US before Christmas you dumbass!"
"This package is a book. Are books cheaper to mail?"

When I got to the counter, I was seriously embarrased on behalf of humanity.

What is it about the holidays that brings out the worst in people?
DeeBye,Dec 18 2004, 12:26 AM Wrote:"This package is a book.  Are books cheaper to mail?"
[right][snapback]63101[/snapback][/right]

Not to excuse the lady being belligerent, but there is actually a media mail rate also known as book rate. I just googled up a link about rates. http://usps.com/consumers/domestic_print.htm#standard So since it is actually cheaper to mail books that question is valid. Maybe she said it with a harsh tone though since it sounds like she did have one with her other questions.

edit: of course that is for the US whic hyou aren't in right? So maybe the question was pointless. : )
Hi,

DeeBye,Dec 17 2004, 11:26 PM Wrote:What is it about the holidays that brings out the worst in people?[right][snapback]63101[/snapback][/right]
Stress. To most people over the age of 15, the so called holiday season is a series of unpleasant tasks and unavoidable social functions. To add to the burden, one is expected to comport oneself as if the whole bloody thing were fun.

Scrooge, before he went scitzoid and started seeing things, had it right. Bah, humbug!

:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Dec 18 2004, 05:57 AM Wrote:Hi,
Stress. To most people over the age of 15, the so called holiday season is  a series of unpleasant tasks and unavoidable social functions.  To add to the burden, one is expected to comport oneself as if the whole bloody thing were fun.

Scrooge, before he went scitzoid and started seeing things, had it right.  Bah, humbug!

:)

--Pete
[right][snapback]63106[/snapback][/right]

That's something I never get, why people go through all the stress of setting up family gatherings, or getting exactly the right present, or any other of those things instead of just doing something fun. Seems more worth it to do somethign fun than to whine about it.

Sort of off topic, but this reminded me of how a lot of kids in my class started all their college applications last week or the week before, even though winter break starts this week at my school, most of these applications have early January deadlines, and they knew some places they were applying for awhile, and these ones were still complaining
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Hi,

Minionman,Dec 18 2004, 12:06 PM Wrote:That's something I never get, why people go through all the stress of setting up family gatherings, or getting exactly the right present, or any other of those things instead of just doing something fun.  Seems more worth it to do somethign fun than to whine about it.
[right][snapback]63117[/snapback][/right]
Because some people like to set up that kind of stuff and for those that do not want to participate it is a lose-lose situation. It is similar to the 'how much is too much for a birthday' thread, only worse. If your mother, for instance, set up a big family thing for the holidays because she enjoys doing that kind of thing, and if you hate going to that kind of thing, you are in a dilemma. If you go, you will be miserable for a few hours. If you don't go, you will probably be miserable for most of the coming year. The best you can hope for is to come down with a case of the flu and spend the holidays in the hospital.

It is normal to be stressed when all the choices are bad -- look at the USA and the last election ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Dec 18 2004, 01:49 PM Wrote:Hi,

It is normal to be stressed when all the choices are bad -- look at the USA and the last election ;)

--Pete
[right][snapback]63118[/snapback][/right]

Touché.

Sure you haven't been working out with that foil lately? :blink:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
DeeBye,Dec 18 2004, 06:26 AM Wrote:I was shocked and amazed at how rude people were.[right][snapback]63101[/snapback][/right]
Get used to it,otherwise buy earplugs.
ANGRY? What do you mean angry? Comming here accusing people "bringing out the worst" No wonder people aren't at their best having to read accusitions left and right about being bad!!!! Geee, calm down and it will be much better!!

Ohhh, no, I am not really angry :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Dec 20 2004, 02:35 AM Wrote:ANGRY? What do you mean angry? Comming here accusing people "bringing out the worst" No wonder people aren't at their best having to read accusitions left and right about being bad!!!! Geee, calm down and it will be much better!!
Ohhh, no, I am not really angry :)
[right][snapback]63205[/snapback][/right]

My psychologist friends tell me that anger typically stems from broken promises and broken "expectations." The first bit you cant' control, since if someone else promises something to you and then breaks it, the initiative to set up the anger chain is not your own.

Expectations? If you don't expect much out of people, you are rarely disappointed and quite often pleasantly surprised, which can lead to joy, the opposite of anger. :)

Merry Christmas, Jarulf

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 20 2004, 02:44 PM Wrote:Expectations?  If you don't expect much  out of people, you are rarely disappointed and quite often pleasantly surprised, which can lead to joy, the opposite of anger.  :)

Occhi
[right][snapback]63208[/snapback][/right]
Ahh. Pessimism. It's not just a way of life. :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Dec 20 2004, Wrote:Ahh. Pessimism. It's not just a way of life. :)
[right][snapback]63211[/snapback][/right]
Not neccesarily pessimism.

" If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- Dalai Lama

Anger, and unhappiness are as much from unrealized desires as they are from unrealized needs. My largest source of angst during this time of year is in dealing with the burden or expectations placed upon me by others. Will I travel to see my family or my wifes family? Should I buy presents for this person or would they feel left out? How many cards should I send and to whom? Personally, I think "we" (Marketing et. al.) have blown this holiday season into something too stressful, and so I have simplified it for myself. My only obligations I place on myself are to my family, everything else is gravy. I will let the others own their disappointment.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Dec 20 2004, 11:46 AM Wrote:" If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.

[right][snapback]63212[/snapback][/right]

Words to live by. Thanks for the reminder. :)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

kandrathe,Dec 20 2004, 05:46 PM Wrote:" If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
[right][snapback]63212[/snapback][/right]

But that's kind of a catch isn't it? What if I want to be happy but I want others not to be happy, huh? What then? :P
Walkiry,Dec 20 2004, 06:22 PM Wrote:But that's kind of a catch isn't it? What if I want to be happy but I want others not to be happy, huh? What then? :P
[right][snapback]63229[/snapback][/right]

Just be compassionate when you punch them in the face and steal their wallets.
DeeBye,Dec 20 2004, 05:41 PM Wrote:Just be compassionate when you punch them in the face and steal their wallets.
[right][snapback]63233[/snapback][/right]
Yes, give them back everything except the cash.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Dec 20 2004, 09:38 PM Wrote:Yes, give them back everything except the cash.
[right][snapback]63247[/snapback][/right]

Or take their credit cards and buy them something nice.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
:blink: You went and woke Jarulf up ! :blink:

I only get angry at intolerant people ..... I really hate intolerant people ..... :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto