'Morphing' Floor Tiles
Context: Diablo LoD 1.10, singleplayer, Normal difficulty, Act I, Mausoleum

The floor in this dungeon (and a few others) can have burial pits that are either containers, obstacles, or can be traveled over. In the case of obstacles, the graphic is usually of an uncovered pit, or one with a broken cover plate.

Last night I ran into one that morphed. I'll list the events as they occured:

1. My rogue hireling killed a skeleton that walked through a doorway. He dropped an item and I walked over to pick it up. To get to the item, my character walked over a covered burial pit. I picked up the item and examined it in inventory.

2. When I closed the inventory screen, I noticed that my character was stuck and could not move. Furthermore, the burial pit was now uncovered and being treated as an obstacle, and because my character was standing on it, the game wasn't letting him move. He could attack in place, he just couldn't walk anywhere. I used a Town Portal scroll and was able to return to town.

3. When I returned to the dungeon, the burial pit was again covered, and I could freely travel over it. I tried walking back and forth over it a few times and then continued along down the hallway to get the sparkly chest.

4. When I returned, the burial pit was still covered, but now was being treated like an obstacle, so my character could only walk around it, rather than over it.

5. At no time did this burial pit ever act like a container that the player could open. In fact, I could never interact with it at all, as it was only a scenery item.

This is the first time I've experienced this since downloading patch 1.10. Needless to say, from now on I'll be careful about walking over these particular floor objects. This particular one was centered in the floor and was located in front of a doorway (no door).

I've also seen barrels outside walls (cursor highlights them but the character can't search them) in these crypt-like dungeons, and monsters outside level design in the Jail areas. And, as most people know, doorways have been pretty buggy since the patch came out.
Greetings.

I cannot say anything about those tiles, but I think the barrels you speak of are actually behind secret doors. Usually the door is in the souheastern side of the secret room. The door looks like a wall, but looks a bit different, usually has some blood in it.

-Lucky
~Lukki
No, secret rooms are only in the Jail maps, not the graveyard crypt and mausoleum. These barrels were behind a solid wall, with no way to access them.

Update: my sorceress encountered more out-of-level barrels so I tried teleporting to them. She ended up standing on a ledge outside the wall and was able to smash the barrels. I had to teleport to return to the hallway.

Apparently the game engine doesn't always draw the walls to accurately match the floors. This can lead to trouble later when the floor is populated with objects.

Haven't seen another morphing floor tile since the one I reported.