Who do you tip?
whyBish,Dec 14 2004, 01:04 AM Wrote:Wow, I just can't comprehend this.  The thread seems like one of those surreal anachronisms like reading an eighties book on how women should behave in the business place.  :huh:

So, to get this straight, people give away extra money on top of what they already pay, to some random people they are unlikely ever to have interaction with again?
[right][snapback]62780[/snapback][/right]

Of course, and in many situations you do interact with them on a regular basis. For example: I always tip my conservative barber after arguing about...well whatever comes up. Little known fact: barbers always know about the best resteraunts.

Even if it wasnt for that, there are quite a few people who get paid less because they are expected to make tips. Waiters/Waitresses and pizza dilevery guys are two prime examples of this. Even if they do make full minimum wage, like a grocery store bagger who helps you push the 2nd or 3rd cart of food out to your car diserves a tip.

Now, this all does hinge on the idea that the person recieving a tip is doing something to diserve it: the waiter is timely with drink refills, quick to fix problems, and is personalble without being smothering, etc. If I'm waiting 20 minutes for my 2nd glass of coke, well then you've got a complaint on your hands.

I dunno, it might seem a bit strange, but I actually enjoy tipping when I've recieved good service, or even if its normal service. There have been quite a few times that I've tipped pizza guys $20 for delivering $10 pizzas, or a $5 tip for an $8 meal. Maybe its just me, but these people work hard so you don't have to, so I think they diserve a little bit extra.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
The homeless.

I have been raised to always view people as people, and not as their function. I often get very irate with students at my university who are rude to the dining hall staff, the janitors or the security guards. I expect to be treated with a level of respect from the people I pay to do a certain service (whether that is provide food, a clean place to live, or security), but this requires a mutual level of respect on my part.

I work for a retail company on Newbury Street in Boston. Most lurkers will be unfamiliar with Newbury Street, suffice it to say it is the epicenter of fashion in Boston. At my store alone, it is not rare to sell thousands of dollars worth of retail to one customer.

Because of the large flow of money in the area, Newbury Street has a number of resident homeless people. I never feel an obligation to hand them money, but instead an obligation to at least recognize their existence as another human being. I make a habit of making eye contact and at the very least wishing them the best, or asking how they are doing. If I have the time, I will spend a few minutes and have a conversation with him or her.

If I have a good sales day and I have some extra cash in my wallet, I will give a few dollars to him or her. I never give much, but some days the conversations I have with the homeless are the best I have. Consider it a service rendered.

Cheers,

Munk
I carry any number of free food coupons for that very purpose, or take them into the nearest resturant and have a meal with them. I remember one time when I was having a luxurious lunch on the beach while vacationing in California, I spotted a crowd of homeless people begging outside. I ordered 6 sandwiches and drinks to go. Needless to say, they were surprised.

There was a time in my life where I was homeless and I was helped. Most of them are not drunken bums, just hungry and down an out on their luck.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

DeeBye,Dec 13 2004, 07:37 AM Wrote:Me:

Pizza guy
Any and all restaurants (excluding fast food)
Barber (THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT!)
Bartender
Coat check girl

I'm sure there are a few categories I'm forgetting right now.
[right][snapback]62713[/snapback][/right]

Anyone else bothered when gratuity is added to a bill? I have no problem tipping, but it's my decision how much you're going to get.

Seems like an east coast thing, too, though I'm really not well traveled enough to say that.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Hi,

Rinnhart,Dec 14 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:Anyone else bothered when gratuity is added to a bill? I have no problem tipping, but it's my decision how much you're going to get.

Seems like an east coast thing, too, though I'm really not well traveled enough to say that.
[right][snapback]62816[/snapback][/right]
It bugs me, too. And I've seen it in California, Washington and Nevada, so it is hardly limited to the East coast.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I Always Tip:
Stylist
Waiting Staff
Dryers at the Car Wash
My Hat

And I am a firm believer that the tip should reflect the service.
See you in Town,
-Z
Pete,Dec 14 2004, 01:10 PM Wrote:Hi,
It bugs me, too.  And I've seen it in California, Washington and Nevada, so it is hardly limited to the East coast.

--Pete
[right][snapback]62818[/snapback][/right]
There are some in the Midwest too - Wisconsin and Missouri for sure.
Intolerant monkey.
Rinnhart,Dec 14 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:Anyone else bothered when gratuity is added to a bill? I have no problem tipping, but it's my decision how much you're going to get.

[right][snapback]62816[/snapback][/right]

Isn't that the case only when there's a certain number of people in your party, like 6 or 8? That's pretty standard I think, but I've not seen that happen when it's just dinner for 2.

-A
Ashock,Dec 14 2004, 02:55 PM Wrote:Isn't that the case only when there's a certain number of people in your party, like 6 or 8? That's pretty standard I think, but I've not seen that happen when it's just dinner for 2.
-A
[right][snapback]62822[/snapback][/right]

I've had the same experience. Although when I briefly worked for my father I went out two a couple of 4 person business dinners at top establishments. Gratuity was included on those bills as well.

Cheers,

Munk
DeeBye,Dec 13 2004, 09:14 PM Wrote:I'd do the same as I'd do for a mover -- offer them a cold beer.
[right][snapback]62766[/snapback][/right]

When you know they can't take that? (As employees of a major company)

And being how Beer and moving big heavy objects into 'easy to damage' homes don't mix.

And to be quite literal, I don't like beer and my fellow driver can't drink beer due to the medicine he takes ^^.

Muahahah

And yes, people have offered us Beer before... And we'd be retarded idiots if we took that.
Hi,

Kharohz,Dec 13 2004, 01:49 PM Wrote:Would you tip a Appliance Delivery guys? Why/Why Not? (Ie:  Lowe's/Home Depot)
[right][snapback]62741[/snapback][/right]
Depends. Since some of the stuff is heavy and needs to be carried up two floors, I'll slip them a ten or twenty if they do it right. If they bitch or drag their feet, then they screw themselves out of the tip. And the last group, the tip I 'gave' them was not reporting them -- there was some kind of a macismo thing going on and as a result of that, they did some damage to a door.

Quote:Keep in mind customers already pay a delivery Fee (Ie:  55 Bucks, this includes Delivery, and normal installation of product, except for Water Heater/Dishwashers/Gas Ranges)

Delivery Drivers makes around 10.50-12.00 dollars an hour, Helpers make 8.xx?-9.50 an hour.
That has nothing to do with it. The delivery fee goes to the company, not the drivers and helpers. And a tip is a 'thank you', not a salary.

Quote:Edit:  Oh and so you know, tipping for these people "isn't allowed"
I've never had one turn me down yet. At places where the boss was watching, yes. But out on their own at a delivery? Naw.

--Pete

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Dec 14 2004, 06:52 PM Wrote:Hi,
Depends.  Since some of the stuff is heavy and needs to be carried up two floors, I'll slip them a ten or twenty if they do it right.  If they bitch or drag their feet, then they screw themselves out of the tip.  And the last group, the tip I 'gave' them was not reporting them -- there was some kind of a macismo thing going on and as a result of that, they did some damage to a door.
That has nothing to do with it.  The delivery fee goes to the company, not the drivers and helpers.  And a tip is a 'thank you', not a salary.
I've never had one turn me down yet.  At places where the boss was watching, yes.  But out on their own at a delivery? Naw.

--Pete

[right][snapback]62852[/snapback][/right]

If you haven't guessed already by my questions and replies, I am one of these delivery people, and I know that the tip is a thank you. I don't expect a tip, but I do my job to the best of my ability and then some. Just because I believe in providing excellent customer service. (Sounds like sarcasm but it isn't)

The majority of our deliveries we don't even use a handtruck. We mostly carry by hand the appliances in by hand. (To avoid damage caused by the handtruck, which is easily done, to also avoid mudtracks, we even take off our shoes if nessesary)
That includes refrigerators, 300 pound duet washers.

The driver and I (We usually are with the same people, due to compatability = more productive) usually never whine, we do the job, and we do it with style, basically making fun of each other the entire time, while making the customer laugh.

We provide speed, entertainment and service all in one.

And no I just can't see someone ... say a Lowe's employee accepting a beer... I just can't see it. Maybe a 3rd party delivery service, but Lowe's?

By the way, next time report them, you'll get your door repaired for free ;). We usually don't get screamed at if we make a mistake (Because it will happen, when I mean screamed at, I mean by the store)

Edit: Anyone recommend some type of lifting straps?
I tip the pizza delivery man 2-5 dollars.
I tip the cab driver if I don't notice him taking a longer than optimal route to my destination.
At restauraunts I give between 15 and 20 percent for normal to good service, but at the wonderful Thai restauraunt my brother and I go to every saturday the tip is frequently much larger.
Bartender gets a few bucks put into the tip jar, no major rule here. I always feel that if they have a tip jar then it is a marginal tipping situation. So while I tip the bartender at the campus pub, most other tip jars remain unblessed by my money.