Favorite WoW noob moment
I laughed quite a bit at this one that just happened to me so I thought I'd share.

I was standing on the docks waiting for the boat to take me from Rut'theran Village to Auberdine and a level 30 hunter was standing next to me in some pretty armor. I clicked on her and then inspected her. As soon as I clicked the "inspect" option, she died! Nothing around her, no slow death, just instant. I whispered her and asked, "What was that?!" She calmly responded with "Feign death". I thought I had just killed her with some ridiculous bug with inspect and told her how wonderful her timing had been. Yeah, I'm a noob about the higher level skills, but when things like that happen, I'm glad to be a noob. :D Got some chuckles out of me, got some chuckles out of her.
Intolerant monkey.
Here is a "noob" moment :P . what do you mean by inspecting her ? is this some third party program to see what people are wearing , cant remember seeing anything like that in the beta . Cheers :)
Take care
Raven Vale,Dec 12 2004, 01:18 PM Wrote:Here is a "noob" moment :P . what do you mean by inspecting her ? is this some third party program to see what people are wearing , cant remember seeing anything like that in the beta . Cheers :)
[right][snapback]62647[/snapback][/right]

When you are near another character you can click her/him and the right-click menu on the portrait offers an Inspect option. You have to be very close for that.

With the inspect option you can see the equipped weapons/armour of a character.

In my short time in Open Beta I did inspect some others to check their gear.

What I would like to know is if you get a notification if someone inspects you?

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Ahh cheers nice to know , never knew that at all , thanks .
Take care
Arnulf,Dec 12 2004, 07:38 AM Wrote:When you are near another character you can click her/him and the right-click menu on the portrait offers an Inspect option. You have to be very close for that.

With the inspect option you can see the equipped weapons/armour of a character.

In my short time in Open Beta I did inspect some others to check their gear. 

What I would like to know is if  you get a notification if someone inspects you?

-Arnulf
[right][snapback]62648[/snapback][/right]

You can also target someone and type /inspect. There is no in-game notification of being inspected anymore. I understand that you can customize the UI to show the notification again or even block inspects.

I'll relate a n00b moment involving inspect. Towards the end of Beta I had finally gotten to the point where all of my armor was blue (above average). I had a paladin inspect me at Ironforge and make fun of the fact that I was a noob because I wasn't wearing dark iron plate like he was. So I asked what his armor was. And how much life he had and what kind of DPS could he put out.

Mine was all higher. :lol:
Treesh,Dec 11 2004, 09:02 PM Wrote:I whispered her and asked, "What was that?!"  She calmly responded with "Feign death". 
[right][snapback]62615[/snapback][/right]
Did you ask her how she did it? I, of course, had to try this when I played yesterday. I tried everything I could think of - /die /death /feign death /croak etc. etc. and I couldn't make it happen. I just kept getting Type /help... The closest I came was to just lie down. Spill the beans, if you have them. I want to spread the word. It would be great to have a whole group/town just suddenly fall over "dead". :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Dec 12 2004, 03:27 PM Wrote:Did you ask her how she did it?  I, of course, had to try this when I played yesterday.  I tried everything I could think of - /die /death /feign death /croak etc. etc. and I couldn't make it happen.  I just kept getting Type /help... The closest I came was to just lie down.  Spill the beans, if you have them.  I want to spread the word.  It would be great to have a whole group/town just suddenly fall over "dead".  :lol:
[right][snapback]62682[/snapback][/right]

It's a hunter skill.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Dec 12 2004, 03:30 PM Wrote:It's a hunter skill.
[right][snapback]62684[/snapback][/right]
Ahhhh! I want it to. I want it. I want it. I want it. :(

BTW, nice response time there. :D
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
My Newb moment was the other day.

"Trolling with a Troll on Tichondrius."

Started level 1 hunter Tukoakadarat. Troll Hunter with, apparently, no brains. The initiall guy tells me "go west to find XXXX" (your place in the world questy thing) so rather than go across the square, I think west and look at the mini map and see, on the western edge, the grey circle that means a town. "AH, go west, young man, go west!!!" Trollus Greely was in town that day, and was such an inspiration.

I left the village, went west passed any number of sleeping peons and monsters, looking for . . .

I hit the mountains, grey spot still on the edge of the mini map

. Hmmm, R*** is over there,

HEY, look at this!!!

Hidden Pathway found!

Hmmm, up the hills, narrow winding pathways.

Oh look, nice view of the ocean up here. R*** appears on the mini map as west, and on the other side of the sea. If I go east along the path, hmm, parallel the sea. Let's see if we can sidle down this slope.

I start to walk west and "fall down the cliff" once, twice, thrice (with suitable bouncing) and then I am in the water. "Hmm, this is an interesting first quest," thinks I. A swimming I will go, for about half a minute.

Large blue fish looking thing arrives, I neve quite saw the name. In seconds, I am dinner for a fish. Trolling indeed.

So, I am resurrected in a the R*** village across the sea. First level. Start wandering around. All monsters are . . . 13, 14.

I think "I need to get to the other side of the river here." Looking at the mini map, the walk up the river on the west bank looks "LONG!"

A swimming I will go, across the river, up on the bank. "OK, let's see if we can find a path east to where I started, something is not right here.

Crocodile introduces self to me. I try to go around him. Mis-estimate, Run Away: HEY! That smarts!!!

Dinner for a croc as I finally get to the water's edge. This troll too stupid for words. (Uh, really, it was the troll, not me. Really!!! I promise!!)

Deleted, start again.

Tucoakadarat is now alive at 4th level, I think, and doing a lot better as a hunter in the Valley of Trials. The answer?

Going west across the town square is a lot healthier than swimming across the sea at level one. I do know one word in trollish, though.

DOH!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 12 2004, 05:29 PM Wrote:My Newb moment was the other day.

"Trolling with a Troll on Tichondrius." 

[right][snapback]62691[/snapback][/right]

:lol: Sounds very similar to things I've done before. Wait, maybe I shouldn't really admit that. ;) Thanks for the post though. Made me chuckle. :)
Intolerant monkey.
Sorry but I have to ask. You do know what the hearthstone does, right? :P
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Dec 12 2004, 02:35 PM Wrote:Ahhhh!  I want it to.  I want it.  I want it.  I want it.  :(

Druids also have it.

This gives me a chance to tell a PvP story while being shielded from accusations that I'm hijacking the thread.

Two nights ago, I was questing in northern Stranglethorn Vale. For those of you who haven't been there yet, it's an extremely quest rich area for low-to-mid 30's players of both factions -- especially now that the npc's at Nesingwary's Expedition will give quests to both factions. (That alone openned up an additional 18 quests for the Horde right there). With a large percentage of the player population in their 30's, the area is a total war zone on the PvP server. Whenever someone says they're going to turn in a quest at Nesingwary's Expedition, I always wish them, "God speed." Seriously, players of both factions, but especially the undermanned Horde, will organize massive raids on the camp just so that people can turn in their quests and get the quest followups.

Anyway, it was during one of the many skirmishes in the area that I was in a party who routed an alliance party. One of the last alliance players to die was a hunter, and after the hunter died all that was left was to kill the hunter's pet panther who kept fighting. I thought that was curious but joined my partymates in finishing it off. After that was done, my two partymates started to leave.

"Wait a second..." I thought. I selected the hunter's corpse, and everything seemed to check out. The life and mana were gone and it said "corpse" and everything. Still, I thought, it wouldn't hurt to check. So, I hit Shadow Word: Pain, and sure enough the icon appeared under the hunter's empty health and mana bars which still showed as a "corpse."

"This guy's not dead, guys" I told my partymates. I cast Mind Blast on the "corpse" and this time the hunter really died. Not bad. He *almost* fooled three people with that. Almost.
Tal,Dec 12 2004, 02:44 PM Wrote:You can also target someone and type /inspect. There is no in-game notification of being inspected anymore. I understand that you can customize the UI to show the notification again or even block inspects.

In early beta there was a notification. Usualy as soon as someone made an inspection, the other one made one too when seeing the message. That was my experience at least.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Dec 13 2004, 01:33 AM Wrote:In early beta there was a notification. Usualy as soon as someone made an inspection, the other one made one too when seeing the message. That was my experience at least.
[right][snapback]62706[/snapback][/right]
That has changed now though (which is why tal said "anymore", implying that it used to be there). I've walked away from GG while he was inspecting me (thereby breaking the inspection) without knowing he was inspecting me. And I usually don't miss messages like that in chat.
Intolerant monkey.
LochnarITB,Dec 13 2004, 02:34 AM Wrote:Sorry but I have to ask.  You do know what the hearthstone does, right?  :P
[right][snapback]62703[/snapback][/right]

If you have never been to an inn, I'm not not sure the hearthstone does anything at all. Have you tried?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Dec 13 2004, 02:28 PM Wrote:If you have never been to an inn, I'm not not sure the hearthstone does anything at all.  Have you tried?
[right][snapback]62736[/snapback][/right]
Yes and I just tried again. I had a Night Elf Priest that I had reserved the name but had not started. I just entered the first time. The first thing I did was check the hearthstone and it gave my current location as its location. I then used it and it went through the casting and brought me to where I was. So, the hearthstone is valid immediately.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Dec 13 2004, 01:40 PM Wrote:Yes and I just tried again.  I had a Night Elf Priest that I had reserved the name but had not started.  I just entered the first time.  The first thing I did was check the hearthstone and it gave my current location as its location.  I then used it and it went through the casting and brought me to where I was.  So, the hearthstone is valid immediately.

Yes, this is a fairly recent feature in the game to give new players working hearthstones immediately upon character creation. They return you to your character starting point.
I forgot to include my most hilarious and humiliating n00b moment - I still can't live this one down so I just roll with it.
:P

At level 20, I was bored to tears with the Badlands. So I went to Ratchet and hopped the ship to Booty Bay. The city was confusing with its multiple tiers and multi-faction setup, with no clear direction from guards or cohesion to what was where. So I wandered fitfully looking for the flight path - that was all I wanted, really, since I was too low a level for anything else.

I ask, and three people helpfully respond - here, it's over in the south. A nice dwarf even waved and seemed headed that way, so I followed him.

I lost sight of the dwarf at the last minute, so I had to struggle through the last bit and find the trainer myself. At last, I find a nice flight path keeper with some beautiful gryphons. Hmm, I've gotten hippogriffs and bats and wyverns, now I get gryphons? Cool!

I right clicked on the keeper. An *alliance* keeper. Right click = attack. Smack! I died in one hit. My friends asked how it was going and I had to report I was sulking in from the graveyard to look for it again ...
:P

Sigh. But I know the difference between gnomes and dwarves now! And even though gnomes can be neutral in goblin locales, I never, ever, ever click a dwarf. Dwarves hurtses.
:blush:
Cryptic: You're not the only to do that. My human warlock right-clicked on the Orc Brewmaster in Ratchet and got an enraged Orc beating on him for his troubles.

My newb moment story:

I was standing on the edge of the Stonewrought Dam in Loch Modan, panning around with the camera to admire the view. I decided to keep walking along the dam. "Be careful not to fall off here - it looks like a long drop."

Naturally I walked straight off the dam. Hello graveyard!

While recovering my body I discovered that it was on the Wetlands side of the dam - so I had to walk off *again* (in ghost mode) to get it. Got my body back halfway down.

Since there wasn't any obvious way to get back to Loch Modan I thought I would just swim downstream and see where I ended up.

Another large waterfall was the answer. (I think it was located by the windows of Grim Batol - the place looked interesting but there didn't seem to be any way in from where I was).

Died again trying to get down the waterfall and found myself in the Wetlands graveyard.

With nothing better to do I headed for Menethil Harbour. Thought I would catch the boat to Kalimdor to expand my horizons.

Except I managed to walk off the back of the boat *again* while admiring the view. By the time I climbed out of the water the boat had left.

Feeling suitably sheepish I headed to more familiar territory before I did myself more damage.

Chris
Mine would probably have to be figuring out I could heal my pet in combat...

...at level 45 :blush:

WoW's oldest n00b;
[Image: Cat_Sig.jpg]
<span style="color:red">Stormrage:
<span style="color:yellow">Catlyn, Level 61 Night Elf Hunter, 300 Miner, 300 Engineer (Goblin)
<span style="color:red">Teneras:
<span style="color:yellow">Urdum, Level 14 Orc Hunter