50.000 US $.
If i had 50.000 US dollars i would buy a honda civic EK9 and JDM tune it.
But thats just me.

What would you do?
Invest it.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Sir-Thor,Dec 11 2004, 07: Wrote:What would you do?
[right][snapback]62598[/snapback][/right]

Pay for one year of college. :(
Sir-Thor,Dec 11 2004, 06: Wrote:If i had 50.000 US dollars i would buy a honda civic EK9 and JDM tune it.
But thats just me.

What would you do?
[right][snapback]62598[/snapback][/right]

Put it away for my kids' college expenses. I feel your pain, Munkay. :blink:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Downpayment for a house. Payments would be nice and low that way. :)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Pay of my credit card and most of my student loan debt. Getting a degree is expensive.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Occhidiangela,Dec 11 2004, 11:48 PM Wrote:Put it away for my kids' college expenses.  I feel your pain, Munkay.  :blink:

Occhi
[right][snapback]62620[/snapback][/right]

Ditto. And I have four kids to Occhi's two. :ph34r:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I would take it and make it work for me. Instead of sock holing the money away, like say, for college, I would take the 50 grand and turn it into a few hundred thousand. Maybe more. 50 grand is more then enough seed money to make some real magic happen, if done properly you can generate a whole lifetime's worth of wealth from it and never need to worry about finances ever again.

Just in time for Christmas, right now in my area is a massive bank forclosure auction that will be happening soon. Bidding on all lots starts at $1.00. Could probably pick up two, three, maybe four or more good lots with 50 grand. And turn around and sell them slashed down below market value where others can't resist. Say, 25 to 50 grand each. Sell four lots at best projected value... 250 grand, easy money. Or you might get a dozen or three so so lots for 50 grand. (Not many people want to buy these for some reason... Easy pickings) You could, in turn, lease them to the government for Section 8 or HUD housing. They offer fair market value on rent. (They also overspend, and usually they will send a flood of money your way. If their department doesn't spend a certain amount of money a year, they get less money next year, so they bleed money, hemorage money, to inflate their spending on paperwork) Hire a management company to run the lots. Around 25 to 30 or so lots generating HUD and section 8 payments, hrm, probably 75 to 150,000 grand a year in total, minus fees for management company, possible repairs, etc. I have seen entire trailer parks go up for sale in auctions, trailers included, the whole kit and cooboodle. While many dislike the folk that live there, trailer parks can generate hefty bags full of cash. Most of the trailer park owners could get very wealthy if they were to quit blowing their own earnings on crack cocaine and booze themselves. Just don't live on your own property and I am sure it will all be ok.

One of my own recent ventures involved vending machines, not for my own gain, but to generate money for a program. I invested almost 25 grand into a fairly large vending machine route. Some of the locations now with a lot of foot traffic and a lot of thirsty and or hungry people can generate 500 bucks on a single weekend. And that's a single location. Once I generate the 2000 to 3000 dollars it takes to supply them every month, they are golden.

So many ways to turn one dollar into two... So little time.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Munkay,Dec 12 2004, 01:13 AM Wrote:Pay for one year of college.   :(
[right][snapback]62609[/snapback][/right]
What the hell? 1 year? I pay about $900 a year for college (+ book fees of course.) How come it's so expensive to get an education in the Boston?

Edit: as for the 50 grand... Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'd probably pay off my student loan, buy a subwoofer for my surround and upgrade my computer. Alternatively I could buy a car and get my license.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Dec 12 2004, Wrote:What the hell? 1 year? I pay about $900 a year for college (+ book fees of course.) How come it's so expensive to get an education in the Boston?
[right][snapback]62655[/snapback][/right]

Interesting question! I've ment to make a comparison of costs for quite some while.

It's not 50,000 for one year, though its close. Here's a list of some of the tuition costs of schools in boston (I go to Boston University):

$40,000Boston University
$40,000Harvard
$40,000MIT
$39,500Boston College
$37,000Northeastern
$33,500Emerson

And a few outside of boston:
$39,000Yale
$41,000Brown
$39,465Dartmouth
NYU - Uncertain. After a few phone calls I quit. Yeah, I called. Once I get curious, I can't help it.

I stopped due to some really badly designed websites. But you get the general idea. It's ridiculously expensive!

*Note: Costs are listed without the ambiguous 'living fees' each college adds.

Cheers,

Munk
[wcip]Angel,Dec 12 2004, Wrote:What the hell? 1 year? I pay about $900 a year for college (+ book fees of course.) How come it's so expensive to get an education in the Boston?

Edit: as for the 50 grand... Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'd probably pay off my student loan, buy a subwoofer for my surround and upgrade my computer. Alternatively I could buy a car and get my license.

It's not just Boston. Your $900/ year is about what I will have to pay to take *one class* at a community college for a year. So much for community colleges being accessible to everyone. :angry:
What do you mean when you say "one class"? Is it the same as "one course"? I only take one course at a time. Most people wouldn't be able to take more than one, not only because of the incredible work load, but also because lectures would clash, forcing students to choose which course to follow on a day-to-day basis.

Example: A girl in my class is taking pedagogy at the same time as her Master's degree in literacy studies. Because we only have lectures twice a week (Mondays and Tuesdays), this is barely managable, however you can't take 2 undergraduate courses, say English and French, simultaneously, as both courses have lectures Monday-Thursday.

I'm assuming "class" means something else than "course." I just can't figure out what exactly :)

It also depends on what school you attend.

Down here in VA, it costs ~22K a year to attend Hollins. Compare that to ~6K per year for Radford or 18K for UMW. UVA and W&M are right up there with Boston institutes when it comes to forking over the moolah.

The Geeck is about $500/class. Sorry Gris. :(
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Griselda,Dec 12 2004, 11:48 AM Wrote:It's not just Boston.  Your $900/ year is about what I will have to pay to take *one class* at a community college for a year.  So much for community colleges being accessible to everyone.  :angry:
[right][snapback]62665[/snapback][/right]

One class for a year? You kidding me!

I'm a legal resident of New Hampshire still, since I dorm in boston during the school year and sublet in boston during the summers, I have no perminant address here.

Good thing instate costs at University of New Hampshire run 700$ for one class, for one 5 week summer course.

Sigh, its a lose lose situation when it comes to money for education.

Cheers,

Munk
[wcip]Angel,Dec 12 2004, Wrote:What do you mean when you say "one class"? Is it the same as "one course"? I only take one course at a time. Most people wouldn't be able to take more than one, not only because of the incredible work load, but also because lectures would clash, forcing students to choose which course to follow on a day-to-day basis.

Example: A girl in my class is taking pedagogy at the same time as her Master's degree in literacy studies. Because we only have lectures twice a week (Mondays and Tuesdays), this is barely managable, however you can't take 2 undergraduate courses, say English and French, simultaneously, as both courses have lectures Monday-Thursday.

I'm assuming "class" means something else than "course." I just can't figure out what exactly :)
[right][snapback]62668[/snapback][/right]

Let me get this straight: You take one course at a time. You are taking classes for a graduate degree (masters or doctoral). I'm assuming you work a close to full time job while taking one course?

Comparing undergrad to graduate can be like comparing apples to oranges. Undergrad is done (the vast majority of the time) as a full time student. Grad work can be done both ways: full time student or 'night classes' (not always occuring 'at night') until degree requirements are met.

I'm assuming you are getting your grad degree by taking "night classes." I could be completely off base, I'd love to understand what the grad/undergrad system is in Norway.

Cheers,

Munk
[wcip]Angel,Dec 12 2004, Wrote:What do you mean when you say "one class"? Is it the same as "one course"? I only take one course at a time. Most people wouldn't be able to take more than one, not only because of the incredible work load, but also because lectures would clash, forcing students to choose which course to follow on a day-to-day basis.

[right][snapback]62668[/snapback][/right]

To give an example, a typical freshman fulltime student looking at some engineering field might take something like Calculus, Physics, and Sociology. Each of these individual subjects would be a "class" (or "course" for that matter). The guy would spend an hour in the classroom lecture/review for each of these Monday through Friday, plus an addition hour or two of labwork for the physics course. You might expect to spend an additional 2-3 hours of study for every 1 hour in the class, if you are diligant in your studies (many people *aren't* diligant in their studies). For someone further along in their education, there might be more time for labs, research, and studying and less actual lecture/review time. But you get the general idea.

Maybe what you think of as "course" is what we would consider a "major" or "degree program"?
Hmmm. The way I understand it, your higher education seems to be differently constructed than ours. Whereas you pick individual classes (1 hour here, 1 hour there) to form a full "course" (consisting of several classes), we choose 1 course, which contains several classes or "modules"/"subjects".

For instance, when I took my English undergraduate course, I had the following classes

* American studies
* Translation
* Grammar
* Lexicology
* Phonetics
* British studies/Methods and didactics (you could choose between these two. I chose the latter.)

Each "class" in this course was between 2-8 hours pr week.

However, a couple of weeks back I ran into the teacher I had for American studies and chatted with him about how his course was this year, and he explained that the English undergraduate course had been subdivided into "modules", letting people choose a compilation of classes instead of 1 course consisting of several classes. I guess this is the system used in America?

Upside to this, is that you have better freedom in shaping your education the way *you* want it.

£1150 per year, of which potenetially all of it can be payed by your LEA (Local Education Authority) it's means-tested.

oh, and ~ £3000 a year in student loan, which you have to pay back with an effective 0 interest rate (interest rate is the same as inflation, so assuming the job that you end up in increases it's wages in line with inflation...)

Add to that all the living costs, which are obscene if you don't live at home like I do.

Of course, there's talk of 'top-up fees', which would be up to another £3000 per year, but would be collected with the loan after you graduate.

Of course, the tuition fees at the moment are somewhat ridiculous, you have to pay them upfront by the mid autumn term. You only get £1000 of your loan by then (although due to a minor fiasco this year, some people hadn't recieved their loans). So if you have to pay the full whack of £1150 you have to find £150 somewhere else, and find money for acommodation (about £60 - £70 /week), food, books, paper & pens, printing, photocopying, etc.

Clever plan, really.
So, I sympathise with my fellow British students who have to cope with that sort of thing (I've not spent any of my loan yet [like I say, I live at home, and my parents very kindly covered the portion of the tuition fees that I owed], and don't intend to if I can help it). And (look, if Roald Dahl can start a sentence with 'and' so can I) the US students, it seems a whole lot worse, and the fact that the 'good' universities charge more - nothing like only rich people getting into the top universities to bring the cream to the top...

How come education is free and optional from ages 16-18, but from 18+ you have to pay?

-Bob
Count Duckula,Dec 12 2004, 12:27 PM Wrote:It also depends on what school you attend.

Down here in VA, it costs ~22K a year to attend Hollins. Compare that to ~6K per year for Radford or 18K for UMW. UVA and W&M are right up there with Boston institutes when it comes to forking over the moolah.

The Geeck is about $500/class. Sorry Gris. :(
[right][snapback]62671[/snapback][/right]

Out of state, IIRC. UVA still not cheap in state, but better than out of state fees.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Munkay,Dec 12 2004, 06:56 PM Wrote:One class for a year? You kidding me!

I'm a legal resident of New Hampshire still, since I dorm in boston during the school year and sublet in boston during the summers, I have no perminant address here.

Good thing instate costs at University of New Hampshire run 700$ for one class, for one 5 week summer course.

Sigh, its a lose lose situation when it comes to money for education.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]62673[/snapback][/right]

Up here in BC, Canada, its ~400$ per 3 credit hours per week (At least at the lower level courses, at the university I attend). Classes run ~13 weeks.