Another death of a legend.
I don't suppose I'll see too many people who will even bat an eyelash at this, but I just had to say something. Last night, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbot was shot and killed last night in a club. A police officer responding shot and killed the perpetrator, but unfortunately because of that we may never know why this awful crime occurred. I'm glad he's dead, though, even if it means never knowing why he would take the life of such a legendary musician.

Most of you probably won't know who I'm talking about. Dimebag was the guitarist for Pantera and, later, Damage Plan. DP had barely begun their musical career after Pantera broke up, and now that will forever be altered. It's a terrible shame that such a talented individual was so wrongly taken from this world, and I am just torn up inside over it. Pantera and their music have always been a big part of my life; they've gotten me through some VERY hard times, and just to know that their music was always alive was a great thing. I was sorely hurt by the breakup of Pantera, but I understood that things like that happen; I can still listen to their older music, and perhaps move into the new with their reformed band of Damage Plan. But now, all that has changed forever.

One by one, the great musicians of my generation are being robbed from this world, much too soon. I cried when Layne Staley passed on; I suppose I'll shed a tear or two to mourn the loss of Darrell now. Even the thought of Cliff Burton's passing still chokes me up, despite being only 3 at the time of his death (I never got to appreciate his work before he died, but I sure have grown to love it since).

I just had to say something. Something needed to be said. I had to release that. I hope Darrell's spirit lives on well. He will be greatly missed by all, and I hope his family copes well. My condolences to all of them, and my empathies to all of Pantera's, Damage Plan's, and Darrell's friends and fans.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I don't know all the specifics - doing what research I can to unearth exactly what went down - but the questions I have regarding this are how the gun got past security, and why he was able to get up on stage.
See you in Town,
-Z
Roland,Dec 9 2004, 01:59 PM Wrote:I don't suppose I'll see too many people who will even bat an eyelash at this, but I just had to say something. Last night, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbot was shot and killed last night in a club. A police officer responding shot and killed the perpetrator, but unfortunately because of that we may never know why this awful crime occurred. I'm glad he's dead, though, even if it means never knowing why he would take the life of such a legendary musician. ...
Everyone pretty much knows exactly why— the psycho was shouting how much he was upset about Pantera breaking up, then he went on his shooting rampage.

More than one person died by his fire. The cop prevented further death by putting him down.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 9 2004, 03:01 PM Wrote:Everyone pretty much knows exactly why— the psycho was shouting how much he was upset about Pantera breaking up, then he went on his shooting rampage.

More than one person died by his fire. The cop prevented further death by putting him down.
[right][snapback]62402[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, that's a good way to encourage a reunion tour. I'm not happy someone went to that extreme to vent his frustration but I am glad that the officer managed to stop him from hurting anyone else.

I have a lot of respect for people in uniform who protect the populous from harm. Military, police, fire, and other public servants and volunteers make the choice to get involved and in some cases risk their lives to make our lives better.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
4 or 5 people died, including a body guard and the manager of the band from what I've heard. I'm not trying to turn a tragedy into a political thing, but I'm glad the police officer was equipped to handle this situation.. if only he could have gotten there sooner. I'm only mentioning this because police officers here are not allowed to carry weapons. Anyway, enough of me ranting.

I think I'm too young to have appreciated the works of Pantera. I only remember their name from when I went to primary school. A friend of mine was a huge fan of theirs and Metallica, a band I would not fall in love with for another 10 years.

Still, even with no particular attachment to the band or the poor fellow who was killed, I still mourned his loss as I read an article about it this morning. I kept thinking "What if it had been John Petrucci or Jordan Rudess?" (members of my favourite band: Dream Theater) Just typing these words makes me choke up. I would have *freaked* had I lost one of my favourite musicians. I am freaking, just thinking about it. I can't imagine what fans of Pantera must be going through.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
The only album that really had me hooked was "Vulgar Display of Power."

It really was a profound album. It was one of those sorts of works that you wait a decade or so for, and when you hear it, you know you have something special.

Good stuff.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 9 2004, 03:23 PM Wrote:The only album that really had me hooked was "Vulgar Display of Power."

It really was a profound album. It was one of those sorts of works that you wait a decade or so for, and when you hear it, you know you have something special.

Good stuff.
[right][snapback]62408[/snapback][/right]

Doc,

You're a surprise a minute.

Roland et al, my condolences.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Dec 9 2004, 06:38 PM Wrote:Doc,

You're a surprise a minute.

Roland et al, my condolences.
[right][snapback]62410[/snapback][/right]

Why is that a suprise?

I was there when punk was born... I survived disco and the 80s. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pantara, all a serious breath of fresh air to me. Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, hell, so much good music all crammed into one tiny moment in time.

I am probably one of the few on this board that remembers CBGBs in it's glory days. Hell, I am betting not many even knows what CBGBs is... Most of you all are still kids.

And at the risk of getting flamed in a delicate thread, Pantara did not really mesh together as a band till Vulgar Display of Power. TONS of raw talent. Lots of skill. But they always sounded out of synch. Drums to fast, guitars out of harmony, vocals out of place. It was a bad live show sound put to a recording. VDOP was a finely polished, highly perfected, well oiled metal machine. Perfect timing on everything, not one farking note out of place.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
OMFUG. Slightly before my time but I know what we are.

Pantera was a band I used to listen to and think "Why don't they just shut up and play?" Later they put the polish on and I became more of a fan.

Doc, the surprises you reveal have almost stopped surprising me. Ever since I found out you went to the Magic Lantern Theatre in Spokane, WA I knew you were well traveled.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Well said. :(
WWBBD?
I have fat Predator-like dreadlocks, I wear kilts, and listen to all different manner of music. I am full of suprises. :w00t: Anything else that you would like to know?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 9 2004, 10:57 PM Wrote:I have fat Predator-like dreadlocks, I wear kilts, and listen to all different manner of music. I am full of suprises.  :w00t: Anything else that you would like to know?
[right][snapback]62445[/snapback][/right]

Will you post a picture of yourself? :P
WWBBD?
Someday. I have promised some pics for Shadow... I need to get a digital camera.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Yrrek,Dec 9 2004, 10:27 PM Wrote:Will you post a picture of yourself?  :P
[right][snapback]62447[/snapback][/right]

What did Jack Nicholson shout during that trial in the movie "A Few Good Men" :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 10 2004, 05:36 PM Wrote:What did Jack Nicholson shout during that trial in the movie "A Few Good Men"  :D

Occhi
[right][snapback]62449[/snapback][/right]

"Heeeeere's Doccy"
.. oh ... wait ... :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :whistling:
The Bill of No Rights
I'm not into the music so much anymore, but a few years ago I was a pantera fan as well (especially the later albums) I always wanted to see them live once. I didn't know they quite (that's why I never saw an announcement..)
Anyway, it is a loss. Do you have some link to an article because I didn't hear anything from this yet.

Doc,Dec 10 2004, 03:57 AM Wrote:I have fat Predator-like dreadlocks, I wear kilts, and listen to all different manner of music. I am full of suprises.  :w00t: Anything else that you would like to know?
[right][snapback]62445[/snapback][/right]

:blink: No ! Don't post the picture ...... :whistling: now my imagination is running a predator video to the Scotsmans Kilt song .......... :o

:( Pantera and Damage Plan were awesome :(
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
eppie,Dec 10 2004, 03:40 AM Wrote:I'm not into the music so much anymore, but a few years ago I was a pantera fan as well (especially the later albums) I always wanted to see them live once. I didn't know they quite (that's why I never saw an announcement..)
Anyway, it is a loss. Do you have some link to an article because I didn't hear anything from this yet.
[right][snapback]62472[/snapback][/right]

Articles can be found through that link.
WWBBD?
You know, it's better this way, for a rock star to die in some violent horrible death like a murder. It's all part and parcel of being a rock star. This is probably the best they could hope for. People will remember them as a musician, not some fat washed up doped up loser that chickened out and took their own life or overdosed and bought their way into the Dead Rock Stars Club.

He will be remembered for getting cut down in his prime, through no fault of his own. And people will argue and fuss for years to come on how good he could have been... Making him a legend that grows with time.

That's a whole lot better then being found dead with half a turd hanging out your arse on the toilet... Or being fat, dead, bloated, and stewing in your own sewage in a bath tub after you overdosed. Or growing old and becoming a joke like some of the geriatric rockers we have now.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."