Where do people's forum names come from?
I called myself minionman since I like characters with minions, and it sounded kind of cool.

What about everyone else?
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I just outright made mine up, no real rhyme or reason to it.

I needed a screen name when I started playing in the online community with D2... that's Descent 2, not Diablo II :P (ah, fond memories of setting up Kali in DOS.)
Just kept using it. Sometimes I wish it was a little shorter, like when using teamspeak, but, you don't just change a name you've used for like 10 years.

Usually, I'll tell people on TS just to call me Conc (Konk!) just to make things easier for everyone.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Nuurabsaal is from "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis", a game I really liked because of the voice acting :) .

"Now look wot Herr Jones hez gennerrossly provided!"

if your first language is German -> brouhaha

Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Minionman,Dec 4 2004, 04:08 PM Wrote:I called myself minionman since I like characters with minions, and it sounded kind of cool. 

[right][snapback]61909[/snapback][/right]

LavCat is short for Lavender Cat. See my recent post on tabard chioces.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Mine would be from a fake movie I made up 5 years ago. It was a parady of Star Wars, among other sci-fi flicks.

I've been thinking of getting a new name, though. I'm not sure what I want it to be, however.
Well, when I first started playing D1 I had to come up with names for my characters. So, being a big M:tG fan I went with Urza for my Sorceror, Gerrard for my Warrior and Hannah for my Rogue. From there I got a few complaints about switching my character names, so I stuck with the one I liked the best: Urza. Been using it ever since.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
"Kandrathe" was my first and most favorite D&D character, who sprang into existence in 1974. A Norse holy man devoted to Thor. I had a friend who had some of the earliest mimeographed copies of the rules.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Taken from Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I've used this as my handle online for... wow, 8 years, maybe?
See you in Town,
-Z
Mine is the creation of Joss.

I was (and still am) a *huge* fan of "Buffy the vampire slayer" when I first started playing Counter-strike. I needed a nickname, and "Angel" was chosen for three reasons.

1. The Buffy-thing
2. I'm such a nice guy, I'm an 'angel' ;)
3. I'm born on the same day as Jesus Christ, so there's a religious aspect to it, as well as a demonic, vampiric one :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I was eating alphabits and I ate a spoonful of "deebye". It was good.

Actually, "DeeBye" is my real name.

This post is full of treachery and LIES!
[wcip]Angel,Dec 4 2004, Wrote:3. I'm born on the same day as Jesus Christ, so there's a religious aspect to it, as well as a demonic, vampiric one :P
[right][snapback]61927[/snapback][/right]

I had no idea you were that old!
See you in Town,
-Z
Minionman,Dec 4 2004, 02:08 PM Wrote:I called myself minionman since I like characters with minions, and it sounded kind of cool. 

Film reference. Clint Eastwood's "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly." That sprang to mind unbidden when I looked at the three D1 chars. Warrior, Rogue, Sorcerer, ugly. No deep thought, it just came to me.

The bad rogue is Angeleyes, the character played in the film by LeeVanCleef. The film was directed by Sergio Leone, an Italian making spaghetti Westerns in Spain.

Occhi = eyes Di = of or of the Angela = Angel.
Eyes of the Angel, sort of = Angeleyes.

Of course, it is bad Italian, since angel = angelo. As the D1 rogue was feminine, angela. A linguistic pun, as Piere Luigi has pointed out. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
[wcip]Angel,Dec 4 2004, Wrote:Mine is the creation of Joss.

I was (and still am) a *huge* fan of "Buffy the vampire slayer" when I first started playing Counter-strike. I needed a nickname, and "Angel" was chosen for three reasons.

1. The Buffy-thing
2. I'm such a nice guy, I'm an 'angel' ;)
3. I'm born on the same day as Jesus Christ, so there's a religious aspect to it, as well as a demonic, vampiric one :P
[right][snapback]61927[/snapback][/right]

If memory serves didn't the WCIP part stand for We Come In Peace?
Minionman,Dec 4 2004, 12:08 PM Wrote:I called myself minionman since I like characters with minions, and it sounded kind of cool. 

Archon- some cool looking in the game Starcraft, or also " An authoritative figure"
Wing- I think I must have been watching something that involves aircraft/spacecraft :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
DeeBye,Dec 5 2004, 01:06 AM Wrote:I was eating alphabits and I ate a spoonful of "deebye".  It was good.

Actually, "DeeBye" is my real name.

This post is full of treachery and LIES!
[right][snapback]61928[/snapback][/right]

Could I interest you in becoming a political spokesman(person)?

I actually had plans for a completely different name/nick, but I was reading a book about ancient Middle East history when I registered at the LL, so I went for Assur.

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
LavCat,Dec 4 2004, 05:06 PM Wrote:LavCat is short for Lavender Cat.  See my recent post on tabard chioces.
[right][snapback]61916[/snapback][/right]

I thought the "Lav" part had to do with lava. Guess it was something else.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
There's not a vampire zanier than...

I stole my other nickname from an excruciatingly bad poem I wrote when my other online gaming handles from Starsiege had been taken.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Dec 5 2004, 01:40 AM Wrote:There's not a vampire zanier than...

I stole my other nickname from an excruciatingly bad poem I wrote when my other online gaming handles from Starsiege had been taken.
[right][snapback]61942[/snapback][/right]

It just dawned on me that we have a Tolkein Chick and a Token Chick.(Treesh) Was that by design or by accident? In any event, would hate to break up a set. :D As to the UK 'toon, *chortle,* whatever works.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Tal,Dec 5 2004, 02:27 AM Wrote:If memory serves didn't the WCIP part stand for We Come In Peace?
[right][snapback]61932[/snapback][/right]
Yepp, from "Mars Attacks".

"Don't run. We are your friends."
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Minionman,Dec 5 2004, 12:52 AM Wrote:I thought the "Lav" part had to do with lava.  Guess it was something else.
[right][snapback]61941[/snapback][/right]

Most of my friends think it has to do with lavatory.

Edit: Spelling (no, I had not spelled lavatory incorrectly, thanks).
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."