First WOW Accounts Banned
From "WorldOfWarCraft.com":

Quote:Accounts Banned for Speed Hacking - Block on 12/3/04

We wanted to take this time to make an announcement about a serious hacking violation in World of Warcraft, one for which we have zero tolerance. Certain individuals have been identified as using speed hacks to accelerate their characters. This goes against the theme of fair play that we have instituted for the game, and is in clear violation of the World of Warcraft Terms of Use.

Those individuals who were caught using the speed hack have been banned from the game and have had their accounts closed. We must stress once again that we are opposed to hacking and cheating of any kind and are dedicated to maintaining a fair environment in our games. This will serve as a final warning to others who are considering using the speed hack. If you are caught using it, you will be banned without question from World of Warcraft and your account will be revoked.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter. If you suspect someone of using the speed hack, or wish to report other instances of cheating, please email us at hacks@blizzard.com. Thank you again for your continued support.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Dec 4 2004, 03:58 AM Wrote:From "WorldOfWarCraft.com":
[right][snapback]61874[/snapback][/right]

After only how many days? Quite frankly, I'm impressed - not with how well Blizzard's security has held up (speed hacks have plagued online games for years; they're practically a staple to the industry; the only thing that varies is how they are dealt with, and how soon), but rather with how swiftly and hard-handedly they are treating the matter. No screwing around, no warnings, no second-tries - cheat, and you're gone. Honestly, I'm quite impressed.

As much as I hate to say it, maybe the mass exodus from Blizzard actually left a few improvements behind? Not only an incredibly fun and addictive game have come out of all this, but now a new, improved, and ENFORCED anti-cheating policy? And more, after only a few days, 90% of the lag issues were resolved, unlike in Diablo II where it took MONTHS of work to get anywhere even close to positive, and issues still plagued the game servers throughout the life of the game. Truly astonishing.

I may just have to reserve a bit more faith for Blizzard in the future... We'll see. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Well, since Blizzard actually knew about speed-hacks for a while, I'd say at least before stress test, it actually took them a long time to even begin addressing this issue.
The inevitable question.

What is a speed hack?

Does it make you run faster?
Roland,Dec 4 2004, 03:37 AM Wrote:After only how many days? Quite frankly, I'm impressed - not with how well Blizzard's security has held up (speed hacks have plagued online games for years; they're practically a staple to the industry; the only thing that varies is how they are dealt with, and how soon), but rather with how swiftly and hard-handedly they are treating the matter. No screwing around, no warnings, no second-tries - cheat, and you're gone. Honestly, I'm quite impressed.

As much as I hate to say it, maybe the mass exodus from Blizzard actually left a few improvements behind? Not only an incredibly fun and addictive game have come out of all this, but now a new, improved, and ENFORCED anti-cheating policy? And more, after only a few days, 90% of the lag issues were resolved, unlike in Diablo II where it took MONTHS of work to get anywhere even close to positive, and issues still plagued the game servers throughout the life of the game. Truly astonishing.

I may just have to reserve a bit more faith for Blizzard in the future... We'll see. ;)
[right][snapback]61875[/snapback][/right]

*Giggle.* Roland, the D II servers still hiccup and burp now and again. Was on for a bit this AM, and got dropped three times. Some turds cannot be completely polished.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Dyntheos,Dec 4 2004, 02:49 PM Wrote:The inevitable question.

What is a speed hack?

Does it make you run faster?
[right][snapback]61887[/snapback][/right]
Yes, it makes you run at ridiculous speed. That's also the reason why it's so amazingly easy to detect it ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Occhidiangela,Dec 4 2004, 10:17 AM Wrote:*Giggle.*  Roland, the D II servers still hiccup and burp now and again.  Was on for a bit this AM, and got dropped three times.  Some turds cannot be completely polished.
[right][snapback]61890[/snapback][/right]
An interesting way to put it, Occhi. Diablo II had a number of mistakes made early on in the product development cycle, which has been admitted to me by some Blizzard people in the past. The background game engine, for one, was a goof - one that they regret. The game could have been so much more if it weren't for that dang Vox engine.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.